Post badly underrated historical figures

Post badly underrated historical figures

Well he did just get his own dlc for rome 2 total war

ye

Which is also sadly it's first apperance in a videogame as far i can remember

What do you mean with badly underrated? Are we talking "doesn't even have his own statues anywhere" tier? Or just not well known enough by the public?

both are good interpretation, but i think the latter it's better

I guess OP means how well he's known among the general public in comparison to what he did historically.

He basically brought the empire back from the brink of destruction and was one of the most massively successful generals and statesmen that Rome had ever seen, but he's not as famous as even some of the earlier, shittier emperors like Nero and Caligula.

For some reason people seem to lose interest in Rome after a certain date. Which is a shame because it's from Aurelian onwards that things start to get really interesting.

Ok then, Cao Cao is my choice.

This basically

>Dude grant the butcher lmao

Also
>Every other Russian general besides Zhukov

Obligatory

>it's a Late Roman general saves the empire and then gets backstabbed by a shitty emperor episode

>Still no movie or miniseries following Majorian and Ricimer

You forgot
>Willingly goes to his execution so as not to weaken the empire further by revolting

he actually did good things too

>For some reason people seem to lose interest in Rome after a certain date

I've noticed this but can't understand why it's the case. Even the most plebeian dregs of society know about Hannibal, Caesar and Nero, and thanks to Gladiator they've heard of Marcus Aurelius and probably think Maximus was an emperor. But common knowledge of Rome pretty much disappears after the 2nd century.

*blocks your steppe*

>I've noticed this but can't understand why it's the case.
Unironically I think it's fucking Gibbon and his assertion that everything post the Five Good Emperors is just decadence and decay.

Personally I think Justinian is easily one of the most interesting and admirable emperors, and 99% of people have no idea who he is.

RESTITVTOR ORBIS

>Late Roman general saves the empire

>

>who is Stilicho
>who is Aetius
>who is Belisarius

>Stilicho
explain why he didn't destroy Alaric. Fucking G*rmanic cum skin

Alaric was a slippery dude. He came close a few times, but never seemed to be able to clinch it.

If you believe older Late Roman scholarship, from the late 19th and early 20th century, it's because Stilicho was a subversive G*rmanic inside agent trying to bring the Empire down, or purposefully let Alaric keep escaping to ensure that he would be able to keep his position.

Because he found it better to use him against Constantine III usurper in Gaul. Secondly, if the western empire were to commit to crushing Alaric and his Goths, it's doubtful whether or not they would've been able to to defeat Constantine III with the remaining army, hence why they were so timid in dealing with Alaric, Constantine III was perceived as the bigger threat, because he directly threatened the throne as a usurper.

>If you believe older Late Roman scholarship, from the late 19th and early 20th century, it's because Stilicho was a subversive G*rmanic inside agent trying to bring the Empire down, or purposefully let Alaric keep escaping to ensure that he would be able to keep his position
This whole idea falls apart when you realise Stilicho was at the point of straight up annihilating Alaric until the emperor Eutropius thought Alaric would be a better choice than Stilicho and literally fucking saved his ass.

>Stilicho again felt ready to intervene in the Alaric affair. In early April, he led a naval expedition to Greece, making landfall in the south and forcing the Gothic leader to retreat up into the mountainous province of Epirus, though failing to bring him to submission. 27 Eutropius took this invasion very badly. He viewed it, with good reason, as a deliberate attempt to undermine him in the same way that Rufinus had been destroyed. Having decided that, of the two potential threats, Alaric was far preferable to Stilicho, Eutropius persuaded the compliant Arcadius to declare Stilicho a public enemy - hostis publicus. At the same time, Eutropius entered into negotiations with Alaric, granting him some sort of official position in the eastern military hierarchy. 28 This clever manoeuvre outflanked Stilicho, for now Alaric, not he, was the legally constituted authority in the region and he had no reason to think that the local curiales and landowners in the Balkans were more likely to listen to him than to Alaric. Having been left little choice, Stilicho withdrew once again back to Italy.

Also this regards to user's question why he didn't destroy him.

King Shamsi Adad I - the Assyrian chad who conquered whole Mesopotamia, yet people from that period remember only his subject, king Hammurabi

Thanks anons

People used to have all sorts of kooky ideas about Late Antiquity. You've got otherwise good historians of Antiquity from the 1920s and stuff saying that Romans didn't wear armor after a certain point, because the decline of the empire had made them physically weak. It's dumb reasoning, but I guess archaeology hadn't advanced to the point where they had found Late Roman depictions of armor, so all the bullshit in Vegetius was all they had to go on.

Could he have done with Sol Invictus what Constantine eventually achieved with Christianity? If he'd not been assassinated in Thrace would we all now be worshipping the sun?

Ask what happened to him when he tried the same (who actually brought Sun worship to Rome)

Late Antiquity in general is a severely underrated period desu. Like shit, you have people like Stilicho, Aetius, Attila, Alaric, Athaulf, crisis of the 3rd century, Cyril of Alexandria etc. etc.

Yeah but unlike Elagabalus, Aurelian wasn't a retarded inbred tranny faggot, but one of the most accomplished military commanders and rulers of his age. With that kind of backing, Sol Invictus would be much more popular to the average Roman than some queer Severan foreign mystery cult

Constantine, Julian... The list goes on

>retarded inbred tranny faggo

>

IT'S NOT FAIR

>Cao Cao
Are you fucking kidding me? Mengde suffered from bad propaganda sure, but he's basically Alexander/Caesar tier in China, fame-wise.

Pic definitely related
>Thrasybulus

Fuck me

Personally Im a republican guy because I like the mediterranean politics with Carthage and the Diadochi

kek

life's not fair user

In China. I think he desreves worldwide fame like Ceasar.

I think you're vastly overstating the fame of ancient western historical figures outside the western world. The average chink knows Caesar no better than the average burger knows based Mengde, aka they don't know who the fuck you're talking about.

This king

I don't know this for sure though.

Added the Western 1/3 of the continental US, established an independent treasury, and fixed the tariffs, all within 4 years.

Also he had a postmaster general named Cave Johnson

3rd century crisis had too many emperors for normies to follow, and Roman imperial history is generally viewed from the lens of the emperor's biographies.

Lol he is arab

No, he was Persian.

Well he looks arab

I thought he got assassinated?

ignore, I'm a brainlet

Can have my hands back?

>Prince and Prostitute fall in love
>Emperor has to abolish laws preventing them from getting married

Throw in an evil wizard Pope or something and you have a real life Aladdin story.

I've heard of most of those guys, but not Cyril of Alexandria. What's his deal?