Crupellarii

So we are taught that early knights did not wear armor, yet the Roman Crupellarii who were inspired by gallic warriors wore heavy armor.

>early knights did not wear armor
Dude what

Do you mean early knights didn't wear plate?

ITT RETARDS
Knight comes from the Low Celtic “knigoot”, ingot also derives from this
Celts were well known for their metallurgy but fought on the battlefield naked, only wearing armour in ceremonial field

Yeah, I hear this repeated so often.
Only sandals and leather, yet even Roman records describe gauls fighting in Crupellarii armor.
Something here makes no sense.

>So we are taught that early knights did not wear armor,
Who the fuck told you this

Is this bait? Are you having a giggle at our expense?

And then suddenly they decided to wear the metal armor the romans claimed they wore in battle?
Seems like historians are full of shit.

I hope you don't think the gladiator version is at all indicative of what it might have looked like, the gladiator version is intentionally restrictive

Knight comes from the old English word cniht, meaning servant...

Did you mean "early Celts" instead of early Knights?

Celts did wear armor, the fighting naked thing is a literary topos.

For one thing, assuming you're talking about Celts and not Knights, they did wear armor. They invented chainmail.

The Crupellarius isn't an accurate representation of a Gallic warrior, seeing as how they wore Roman armor. It's meant to convey the general idea that the Gauls fought heavily armored.

>invented chain mail
First of its mail, second of the Chinese yet again did it first

The crupellarii armor has a face mask though and looks suspiciously like medieval knights.

Maybe the concept of medieval armor is just older than people think.

>the Chinese yet again did it first
When do you think the Chinese started using mail?

Why wouldn’t it be Celtic, the tales of great and chivalrous knights all come from places with a Celtic history, Arthur for Briton, Rolland for France, George for Greece and Syria

I feel like you only think that because most reenactors portraying Crupellarii use a modified Greathelm

Real Crupellarius helmets weren't anything like a Greathelm in terms of construction. They were basically buckets with holes drilled in them, while a Greathelm is made out of several angular plates of steel riveted together.

The word Knight comes from proto-germanic, Knehtaz, which means Boy or servant.

But later versions had elaborate helmets.

>the tales of great and chivalrous knights all come from places with a Celtic history
That''s really just Anglo bias, for example the Nibelungenlied has nothing to do with Celts.

Because knight is an English word, with other language using different words for similar (though not identical) concepts? Ritter, Cavaliere, Chevalier, Caballero etc.

It is only called "Knight" in England, most languages call them "Horseriders", even the German term. And all the countries you list have the Roman history which bore the knight class.

Here is the word for Knight in the extant Celtic languages

>Irish
Ridire/Marcach
>Scottish
Ridir/Marcach
>Manx
Reejerey/Markiagh
>Welsh
Marchog
>Breton
Marc'heg
>Cornish
Marghek

None of those much look like the word "knight"

How do you go from
>Ridire
to
>Reejerey

Was it autism?

You dumbass, the armor you posted isn't plate, it's laminar armor.

>Chinese invented chainmail
What.

Romans did not have the ability to produce hardened steel plates that arose during the middle ages.

>Chinese yet again did it first
This is peculiarly dumb because not only chinese mail is a tang dynasty thing, it's also a foreign imported concept. CHINESE HISTORICAL RECORDS show mail as having been introduced to the courts in the 8th century, from central Asia.
First mention about late 4th century, as used by kuchi barbarians (somewhere around Afghanistan), but it didn't take root in chinese military culture at that point.

That's probably how it's pronounced in both. A "D" surrounded by certain vowels in goidelic celtic labguages becomes a "J" in sound. For instance, in Irish ten when counting is A Deich but pronounced A Jeh.

In Swedish and most scandinavian languages we have a word called "knekt" which pretty much just means common footsoldier. It's pronounced very similar to "knight".

> second of the Chinese yet again did it first

lol no

What is it with this constant import of Chinese nationalists on the interwebs recently?

Foolish user. It derives from the old English word Night, symbolizing the dark skin and feared fighting prowess of the African nobility employed by European monarchs.

Manx had strong Welsh influence, it wasn't really pure Q Celtic.

tfw in every non autistic language knight is something allon the lines of ritter,ruyter,ridder.chevalier meanin horserider

>Celts were well known for their metallurgy but fought on the battlefield naked, only wearing armour in ceremonial field

You fucking retard. Only some Celts wore armor because armor was expensive back then. Some Celts fought naked, yes, but most wore clothes. Helmets was common. It was the same thing with the Greeks and Romans.

Except for the naked part.

always wondered why didn't they use this helmet which resembles a legionary's galea more

huh, I had no idea of this

Actually, even some autistic languages do that.

The Gladiatorial games were full of gimmicks, like a guy with a lasso, chatiot fights, fully armored dudes with knife arms and naval battles.

Dog bless Commodus the crazy fucking bastard.

He was Heracles for a day

so it wasn't just net guy versus michelin man armor guy for centuries, neato

I'd like to go back in time to see the games now, though I'd probably still get enslaved after people realize I am a foreigner, have my boipucci creamed by fat aristocrats then die of some disease

>First of its mail
First off it's "off" and "it's". Second of all, calm down your autism, chainmail is a real word that people use to clearly distinguish between the armour and the form of communication. He could also have wrote "maille", but chainmail is also fine if you're not on the asperger's spectrum.

It’s Asperger’s syndrome and autism spectrum, and because it’s a spectrum we’re all on it Nigeria

visions you dumbass