Why romans made so much colonies in crete?

Why romans made so much colonies in crete?
For an island of that size, they make many
It seems they really liked that island

Pic related

No one?

This is a very interesting thread

Not an expert, but it looks like a strategic place to settle desu, considering how close it is to MENA and Greece

I suspect comfiness was one of reasons.

To stop pirates maybe? Massive grain shipments came from Egypt to Rome/the rest of the empire

Fuck that, why were there so many settlements in modern Andalusia and pretty much nothing in the rest of Iberia?

They knew where to recruit the best archers

Why didn't Romans build more colonies in the interior of Spain and France? Those places are amongst the best to grow wheat

So we can say that many cretans are more latin than greeks?

>Fuck that, why were there so many settlements in modern Andalusia and pretty much nothing in the rest of Iberia?
A lot of wheat,natural ports and gold and silver mines.Also the biggest cities and warmest weather

I guess they didnt want to bother the natives

They were full of those pesky Gauls, plus Egypt was the Roman breadbasket.

And they filled greece with tons of colonies

Galleys didn't carry a lot of supplies so they had to hop from harbour to harbour.

Crete is literally the crossroad to the East and Egypt.

Maybe they were built on old Phoenician/Carthaginian colonies

hard terrain and no direct sea access for quick trade

also celtniggers

They feared the the Galician warrior

>direct sea access for quick trade
I'm pretty sure Hispania has a few navigable rivers, one of them ending at proto Lisbon there.

>and no direct sea access for quick trade
>Tajo
>Ebro
>Duero
>Segura
>Jucar
>Not navigable rivers

but with the difficult terrain and ooga boogas there's nothing to sail up the river for

How did these fuckers armed with nothing but a few spears and no armor defeat the roman warrior for so long???

Terrain?

Titus my proud Roman warrior, after 25 years of service in the Syrian Legion you must choose where to settle and start a proper family.
Will you choose a cold, wet wasteland far from the civilised world?
Or would you prefer a peaceful life on the shores of the Mediterranean?

>0 colonies in Tunisia

That map is wrong

Romans built colonies in pre-existing settlements. A Roman colony wasn't intended to build infrastructure but to instead replace the local elites and ethnicities with a steadily growing Roman population. So in regards to your question the Roman colonies shown in Crete were there simply because there were already Cretan settlements in those locations.

> It seems they really liked that island

There is your answer.

Prior to Roman rule, the island was basically rendered to a bunch of pirate brigand towns and small city states that the Romans pwned in the 1st century BC.

So Rome basically got a sparcely populated island perfectly positioned for a mid hub for trade between Italy and the Levant.

Anyone with any sense of commerce jumped on moving there.

This. Spain was notoriously hard to conquer and pacify, both for the romans and for the moors.

Very fertile and great for mining. Thus was directly taken from the Carthaginians so that was probably a factor as well.

>not a single colony on the Balearics
why not, surely that would be a strategic location like Crete?

Presumably they would also have a constant presence there given how long pirates had been giving them trouble.

Read the map.
>After Trajan

>roman colonies in rome

The feared the Balearic Warrior

> Presumably they would also have a constant presence there given how long pirates had been giving them trouble.

Well, the Romans basically mass murdered all the pirates, starting with Pompey's campaigns and ending with the port cleansing during the 50s and 40s.

So by the time of Augustus taking over, the Romans murdered so many pirates that coastal cities stopped building port defenses and even warships all together.

Meaning, by the time those colonies started popping up in Crete, there would be barely any pirate life left in that area.

heavy plow wouldn't become popular until around the time of Charlemagne

a strategic position to control the Hellenic, also a stop off point for Eastern Mediterranean trade

This.

The Romans cleansed the Mediterranean from pirate shitscum, which is why trade flourished so much, as everyone started sailing and commerce stepped up completely unhindered.

The British did something similar to the Scots and Irish to prevent cattle raiding, these genocides are morally justified.

>a funny mustached man does the same thing by punishing a group responsible for communist uprisings
>somehow not justified
If Anne Frank was a greek pirate you would be just as blindly defending them

Not navigable rivers
Fixed for you.

why didn't they colonize the adriatic coast? did they fear the illyrian warrior

The Jews did nothing wrong.

Aesthetic

Why did they come to Britain? It seems to be really out of the way, what was there to gain? A bit of tin? I know you can farm here easily but surely the distances involved would make it too much effort

the briton warrior wasn't fearful to them

Imagine being a Roman legionary having fought for your country for 30 years and then after finishing your career and enter graceful retirement they give you land and send you somewhere near the Gallo-German border instead of comfy coastal mediterranean. Kek no wonder there were so many army revolts.

An Illyrian rebellion in 3 AD consumed nearly the entire resources of the Roman empire for a while, had it coincided with another war they may not have been able to hold it. Luckily the inhabitants of this region had the intelligence and foresight of their descendents.

Tin and seafood were Britannias no1 exports, it was such an irrelevant province, so no wonder that it was the first that was abandoned.

>Normans
>Saxons
>Jutes
>Romans
>Germans
The English are easy to conquer and easy to rule

Cuz Caesar wanted glory.

>He never heard of Carthago Nova

Omg brainlet

Nothing i said was wrong

You're replying to a 13 year old

Can we ban this retard already?

Is he really?

That would explain a lot of things

Didnt you mean that the english was already in brittania when romans invaded?
Im 25, speedracer

If you tell me what rule i am breaking then i accept a perma ban

Being under 18

wow it looks like they had more colonies on the seas than they did on land

Im 25, lad

Did he mean that the people roman conquered in brittania were english?

I understood that and that is why i called him a brainlet

Being an annoying clueless sperg in every thread. You don't even need to namefag, its obvious when its you posting.

I say things with logic, there are a bunch of LARPers in this board

>Im 25
depressing

larpers or extremefags have never bothered me, but your fedora posting is very annoying

Why?
>fedora posting
Example?

When everyone says you’re a horse it’s time to get yourself a saddle

I dont understand

Very strategic position. Also a good climate and had historically been a trade centre.

During the second jewish war the jewish population of Crete conducted a general massacre of the goya population. After the the war ended the island was so under populated it had to be resettled

You're mistaking Crete with Cyprus