Google didn't help much

Google didn't help much.

Anyone here knows whats the largest settlement before the industrial revolution?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably Guangzhou or some other Chinese port city

pretty much:

some anatolian town
some mesopotamian town
some chinese town
rome
constantinople
some indian/chinese town
baghdad
tenochtitlan
paris
london

Rome, I'd imagine. It had over 1 million citizens at its height unless I'm mistaken. For reference, in the early 1800's London had only 1.3 million

I didn't expect this board to be this active.

I just wanted to know, so that I can have a proper head canon on the population of a city whenever I entered a new kingdom in an RPG. Since most RPG's are set in a pre-industrial revolution world.

>London 1.3 million
>1800
So, Metropolis a class is possible. But since your date is after 1750 its still possibly not.

Nah, Rome had over a million during the classical period. Metropolis is totally possible pre-industrial, it would just look a whole hell of a lot different than its later counterparts

>Rome had over a million
>look a whole hell of a lot different
That's what I think too. Because there's no factories, people still mostly live on farms. And the farms are inside the cities. Making the area very large compared to modern cities.

But I'm still interested to know whats the largest.

I need to play assassins creed brotherhood

Angkor - sheer physical size, population near a million.

>. Because there's no factories, people still mostly live on farms. And the farms are inside the cities

No.

Rome drew grain from all over the empire, especially Egypt.

They used a huge trade fleet to carry the grain from Alexandria to Rome on the trade winds.

You have to imagine the average Roman neighborhood being mostly three to five story wooden apartment buildings, with a public fountain, a bathhouse, a couple of noodle joints and some brothels.

Tenochtitlan had an estimated population of 7-8 million. The Aztecs could levy an army of roughly 950 000 in their wars against the Tlaxcala, who themselves had around 400 to 500 000 soldiers. Unfortunately they were conquered by 2 Spanish people and a donkey in the span of three days.

Ancient demographics are damn near impossible. No one kept any records. We just have estimates.

I believe Constantinople became the biggest again under Basil II, when Bagdad had declined a lot.

> drew grain from all over the empire
Then how does the people of Rome buy those grain?

The soldiers, yes, the have jobs, but what about the rest of the population?

bro they conquered egypt so they could just take it..... buy the grain c'mon the romans werent capitalists

The government gave out free bread and wine to urban residents

Its just 300,000 according to wikipedia

>Free food for the citizens.

Is there a place in the world where this happens?

>just take it
I imagine only the officials gets to keep the grains.

The grain doles grew after slavery screwed all of the peasants out of their job.

There are more things required for running civilisation than just food, not to mention service jobs.

People had jobs (whether they be craftsmen, bureacrats, or service) to buy grain, and were also given free grain by the Roman government (Bread and Circuses) to keep them pacified. In turn, the Romans bought/collected grain as tax from across the Empire, most prominently Egypt.

They were pretty capitalist though. Like the empire took some grain to hand out to the poor, but the majority of it was shipped to Rome through private merchants. For all their talk about how commerce is an unfit occupation for a true Roman, the empire was remarkably mercantile.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cities_throughout_history

This should interest you I guess.

Probably lots of places. For example, in the US poor people can get EBT (which includes food assistance).

>I need to play assassins creed brotherhood
Brotherhood is set during the renaissance, Rome at this time had shrunk to a small fraction of it's size at it's peak during the classical period. Rome was only that large for a small-ish period of it's history (discounting modern Rome obviously), and the conditions were quite particular. You should read up on what allowed Rome to grow so big.

>Tenochtitlan had an estimated population of 7-8 million.
don't be retarded