What is the point of running?

From what I have heard, running doesn't help you lose weight as much as anything else worthwhile does, it doesn't build muscle or (?) it actually burns muscle (?), but is good for your health.
I don't care about the health aspect of it, at least not now, as my current objective for the last month has been to lose weight through intense cardio circuits every day.
So, will running every second day do anything for me? I'm not fat, but I want to lose the few babyfat areas I have right now.

What is sprinting HIIT

The human body has about 600 muscles. Most of which are tiny, and only used for stabilization and or balance. Because lifting weights generally has a very limited range of motion, these muscles do not get the same workouts as your major ones.

Full range of motion exercises like running, swimming, and rock climbing can help prevent uneven development of your muscles and reduce risk of injuries.

To get from point a to point b as quickly as possible

you're saying i should drop what i am doing right now to do one of those hiit schedules?

i'm not asking how to lose weight here. i'm just asking if running is something worth doing for losing fat. i'm pretty happy with my current schedule.

Can i have uneven muscle development from home workout stuff like pushups, squads and ultimate lunges?

Because the challenge is great.

I'm 6'8 so running hurts my ankles like a bitch. So I just cycle 20miles or more on cardio days.

No, because that requires muscle development in the first place

>:^)

THIS

Being able to run fast short distances and long endurance distances to me is about the most important skill to have.

It's hard but as much as fitfags think running is pointless there are times when flight is a better response. And you skipping running because you don't like it will bite you possibly.

Also swimming because yet another good skill to have.

To fuck up your knees.

High impact cardio is a meme. Even runners don't run that much, they mostly do cycling and just run to work on form.

>lanklet master race
>cant run

>runners don't run that much
lol

>runners don't run that much

>this is the person giving you advice on Veeky Forums

Same

impact cardio strengthens and grows bone.

If you want cardio just join a boxing gym.

I recently got back into running after a break-up.
I'm a seasoned lifter but got chubby since I was in no fucks mode.

Started running because it kept me occupied and not thinking about needing women to fill my life.
I train everyday 400/800/mile splits/long runs.

I use local 5k events for competition to keep me going. Lifting you're not going to jump on stage ever. But, running you can compete depending on distance. I'm overall training for a marathon in October.

Running has given me self worth instead of vesting in girls and muscles. I still go out and fuck around with girls and shit. Only cons is I've lost some gains but my abs are visable 24/7 now.

DO NOT RUN FOR CARDIO

Running is high-impact, you will fuck your joints up hard. My father used to do marathons 20-30 years ago. He fucking destroyed his knees, had osteoarthritis in both knees and two of his lower lumbar vertebrae which needed to be fused.

Do something like swimming, biking, low impact sports. You will thank me in 10/20 years.

DO NOT GO OUTSIDE DO NOT BREATH DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHAIR IT WILL FUCK UP YOUR BODY AND EVENTUALLY YOU WILL FUCKING DIE

Buy some better shoes senpai. Don't go running in jordans

nice pepe bro

Don't say I didn't warn you, shitlips. One day when you're 70 years old you'll be debating on getting a scooter or risking fatal infection from surgery. You'll reach for your 5th narcotic pain reliever of the day. And you'll say, "damn, I really wish I would have swam for cardio instead of grinding my fucking knees into powder. That user was right so many years go, and I am indeed a faggot."

>falling for the living to 70 meme

Why is it that it's always murrathon anecdotes. Can't you realize that this is the same as telling someone not to lift because they used to do full body workouts 5 days a week and fucked their body up?

Running 2-4 miles a day is not going to harm you so quit bitching and take a lap fatty.

will cardio make me sweat less? or make me get less out of breath?

>tfw walk to work
>10 minute walk
>have sweaty back, forehead and armpits
>mouth breathing by the end
i'm not even overweight

if you are in better shape your body will need to work less. not sure if you'll sweat less but you'll definitely not be breathing as hard.

Let me guess, you think the world will end soon. Why would i need to run in everyday life?

Rule #1: Cardio

to escape from minorities and natural disasters

Pretty sure there are far more efficient methods

>professional runners cycle
>professional cyclists out of a job

Hill sprints my familia.

This, or sled pushes if you have the equipment. But they're very similar. Fucking great if your feet can't take distance running, just find a grassy hill and go nuts. 35-40 degree incline is best. Your goal should be to go 100% up the hill, walk down, and be rested enough to immediately go again. This is Flagstaff Hill by CMU in Pittsburgh, so much sweat spilled on that fucking hill.

It could be part of the paleo mindset, since that is what people used to do in the past. If you extend on this, you could argue that it may be important for your body's health in order to function properly. Though its not very well documented since most science is pretty limited in its desire to map out life.

Paleo can mean to min max your life, minimizing the negatives (like potentially bad nutrition), and maximizing the good parts (like exercise and old types of lifestyles)

Some would say something gay like "well thats the natural fallacy", and I would say, we are fucking nature you retard. We are on this planet because of nature, our body has followed an evolutionary path, there is no mystical reason for the way we are, no higher power. But the way we are today, probably does correlate because we adapted to reality. and since we havent mapped out everything in relation to the body, it would be safer to stick with the tested and proven natural, you dont know which muscle system, which hormones and more interact with what and how.

I would rather say that you have the modernity fallacy, assuming that everything put on your proverbial life plate today, has to be considered okay, because it is right infront of you.

Thats reasoning like a child would do, who would see a marshmallow right infront of him and say "well, not eating this marshmellow is a fallacy!" Because only thinking in the moment, is what low intelligence (or just starting to learn) people do. Its not a desirable point.

The only reason for running is to look like a hungry skeleton and something for women to laugh at when you say you weigh 120lbs.

Running is cool for discipline and the elation that you feel when it's over. Running is literally drugs imo.

This high impact thing bothers me. I wonder if it wouldn't be okay to run on grass for 30 minutes just twice a week?

The more cardio you do the more your body gets used to sweating, I sweat easily because of this, even though I'm almost never out of breath. High metabolism contributes to that of course

>What is the point of running?
>I don't care about the health aspect of it
You answered your own question..

HAHAHA, all these lazy fucking powerlifters in here. Running is awesome and stands as a basic method of building endurance in almost every sport, but it's quite hard, certainly harder than lifting some weights in the gym, so don't expect to meet any approval here. HIIT is a meme, it can be done half-assed and it's not even half as hard as distance running actually.

Running is great at building actual endurance and won't cripple you that easily, unless you're a hambeast.

inb4 fat autistic powerlifters getting mad: I'm not a weak dyel.

>What is the point of running
>I don't care about the health aspect of it
Just eat sugary foods that taste good you fat cunt and sit down at your computer all day if you don't care about being healthy

Endorphin release also makes you happier though

>HIIT is a meme, it can be done half-assed and it's not even half as hard as distance running actually.

THIS

It makes me cringe so hard when people talk about HIIT. Just run you dumb assess. Yeah at first it's humiliating how out of shape most people are when it comes to cardio. Just keep working on it and it becomes easier.

It's one of the best endurance exercises that translates well into lifting. Because it builds more capillaries, it delivers more oxygen to your muscles thus increasing gains. It is also one of the best ways to strengthen your heart, allowing it to deliver more oxygenated blood with less work (lifting does this too, ever wonder why resting heart rate in athletes go so low?)

As long as you don't overdo it, you'll be fine. The whole "losing muscle" occurs when you have very little body fat (it's a bodybuilding meme for bodybuilders who are afraid of cardio.) Part of the point of marathon training is to teach your body to rely on using fat as an energy system after you use up the glycerin (the body's main fuel source for endurance running) after 13-18 miles. I wouldn't suggest it unless it's a bucket list thing. Running up to 3 hours a week is best for cardio performance while minimizing atrain on your body. I would suggest two, 6-mile runs per week for body builders, then one session of sprinting intervsls for 30 minute per week.

If running is not your thing, go with cycling or swimming. Either substitutes well for running.

the only thing i want to take up running for is so I can sex more vigorously

I can't believe fags like this exist... wait I can I see them at the gym

They're all puffed up talking about muh bench, but would get smoked having to go for a little jog

You are not Veeky Forums
You are delusional

I recently went to a police PT test. You would not be surprised how many of the bodybuilders couldn't do a single mile or swim the required distance fast enough to qualify. Though to their credit, they did max out on points on the other tests such as sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. (I didn't max on all of the others except pull-ups, but I did get the next score--which was 4/5).

Too bad I was too much of a splurg and failed the interview portion.

with proper nutrition (which you should have by the time you hit a half marathon) there will be no muscle loss.

To make your heart strong

> when a grill smiles at you when you run past, sweaty and panting

nothing like it

this so much.
>muh biceps

Honestly you are not fit unless you can run semi-decently.

Fuck off swolie. My grandfather has been running for most of his life and went for a run when I was at his place yesterday, his joints are fine, hell, much fucking better than most old people, except for some arthritis in his hands. Being fucking fat is what destroys your joints, not running, which is what humans have evolved to fucking do.

>when strangers laugh at you when you're a sweaty, panting mess
sounds like it would feel terrible

Never had that but

> when you run past a fatty
> make eye contact
> you can just FEEL him seething with jealousy

> mfw

They want breed with you, sperg.

JOKES ON THEM I'M A SOCIAL RETARD

Anyone care to recommend me some running shoes?preferably on the swag side?

sandals for ultimate leg gains

Can't recommend much since I don't know about your stride. Do you have a neutral foot strike? If not, over or under pronator? My suggestion is go to a specialty running store and get evaluated.

As far as brands, I can heavily recommend Saucony and Brooks. These are two brands that are well recommended by runners. If you find, after running a hundred miles, that the shoe is perfect for you, then buy a second pair for later. I also recommend getting another pair anyway (get a different, cheaper model) and alternate the shoes between runs.

Under pronator. Gonna look into these two brands you just mentioned thanks

ASICS and brooks

For health benefits. And it burns calories. Sure, it may not be the most efficient, but what type of cardio you want to do all comes down to preference. As long as you continue to lift, it doesn't kill gains. Just adjust your diet to replace the calories burned from doing cardio.
Learn to run properly

This user knows what's going on.
2 to 4 miles is great for endurance too.

> running doesn't help you lose weight as much as anything else worthwhile does

Weight loss is mostly influenced by diet. That said, HIIT running such as wind or hill sprints are very good accessories to a good diet. LISS running helps improve VO2 and circulation, which aids in recovery from lifting.

> it doesn't build muscle
Technically, it builds Type I fibers (aerobic), but these grow much more slowly and less dramatically than Type II fibers

> it actually burns muscle
maybe if you are doing ultramarathons, but not for most normal use cases

> So, will running every second day do anything for me?

It will improve overall cardiovascular health and recovery from lifting or other exercise. If you do it in LISS form it will help strengthen a variety of stabilizer muscles that are mostly slow-twitch fibers, as points out. If done in HIIT form it will complement the intense cardio circuits you do.

It also helps with sexual performance, given that most fucking is done at about the same heart rate as a good LISS clip. Work on running (or swimming, or cycling) for endurance, and you will see significant and pleasant carryover