Why did Tyr allow Fenrir to eat his hand?

Why did Tyr allow Fenrir to eat his hand?
It doesn't make sense that someone would willingly let their hand be eaten. Tyr was stupid.

He didn't "willingly let his hand be eaten", he merely took the (extremely high) risk that Fenrir would eat his hand as the price of binding Fenrir and delaying the end of the world. He would have been much happier had they bound Fenrir without him losing his hand, but his devotion to duty was so great that he took the loss of his hand as a price worth paying.

You're also thinking as an individual. The Norse generally thought of the individual as a part of society not separate from it. His tribe needed him and demanded action so he did what needed to be done.

Most """gods""" from polytheistic pantheons were stupid fucks

Is this a thread for mythological tropes women will NEVER understand?
>Be queen of Connucht
>lead successful raid into hated enemies land, stealing their prized magic bull in the process
>on way back home in triumph
>ONE (1) dude gets in front of your army at a river crossing and invokes his ancient right to face her champion in single combat before she can pass
>Well okay, go kill him champ he's only a boy- OH MY GOD HE MURDERED THE FUCK OUT OF MY CHAMPION WTF
>spend the next several DAYS appointing new champions and sending them out to be murdered, one after another
>hated enemies by this time have regrouped and sent an army after me
>going to lose the whole war within sight of my kingdom
>because of one BOY and some dumb male "honor" bullshit

>the entirety of the illiad

Also the Indian epics, and half the Viking sagas for that matter. It's a universal Indo-European cultural trope to have disputes settled by fights between champions.

The Tain Bó Cualinge was a great way of showing why women shouldn't rule. You also forgot the bit where the warrior finds her amidst the battle and she faints because of being on her period and meeting such an alpha Chad. Setanta Thundcock then carries her all the way showing how much of a weakling she is.

>You also forgot the bit where the warrior finds her amidst the battle and she faints because of being on her period and meeting such an alpha Chad.

You realize it was written by her enemies, right? Queen Meave would have been a formidable figure, if she existed. The fact her name means "the intoxicating one" suggests she may be a metaphor for drunkness, tho. But even if she wasn't real, the Insular Celts didn't seem to have a problem with female authority, rare tho it was even in such an egalitarian society.

>retarded fucknut stands infront of your army demanding stupid shit like single combat
>you grant this instead of having your men seize and quarter him
Man, she seems pretty retarded

The trojan war wasn't settled by the duel though

>You realize it was written by her enemies, right?
Um sorry sweetie but she was just a version of the Goddess Medb. She wasn't real. The Gaels did not have women leaders save for mythology. Brehon Law may have been more equal than other things but that did not mean that women were treated equal in regards of command.

She actually wanted to just kill him, it was her FUCKING WHITE MALE advisers and champions who insisted ancient traditions be honored.

Now read the rest of my post you dunce.

>The fact her name means "the intoxicating one" suggests she may be a metaphor for drunkness, tho.

It was supposed to reference her seductive nature as she used sex to form alliances.

Have them quartered too, ezpz

Nor was the Cattle Raid of Coolney. But single combat between champions to resolve disputes was a major feature of legal systems across the Indo-European world, in a way it never was in (say) China.

Why do women think that Cu Chulainn and Ferdiad were gay Veeky Forums?

Possibly. It's also the same word as English "mead" and is a clear and specific reference to being drunk, not just "intoxicated by her presence".

Same reason they think Achilles and Patroklus were: women have no understanding of true friendship.

This is you

The thing is unlike say Scathatch who is almost universally portrayed as a positive female figure to audiences, I don't think the audience is meant to like Medb. After all, she opposes Cu Chulainn.

Achilles was an asshole though

Exactly, Meave is the villain of the story, which was written in and for Ulstermen. There are plenty of positive female characters in Insular mythology, not even just Celtic stuff, this idea that women are inferior is purely a Jew and Latin custom.

There's no way in hell Achilles wasn't a giant, flaming homo

You mean apart from the wife he loved and the children he had? Oh, and the female slavegirl he became obsessed by? yeah what a homo.

>fucking women

On second thoughts you might be right. Guess I'm #Gay4Achilles now!