Who was in the right here?

Who was in the right here?

Other urls found in this thread:

popular-archaeology.com/issue/summer-2015/article/bones-of-philip-of-macedon-identified
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Both.

Why wasn't he killed for his rude attitude. I swear if it wasn't Alexander he'd be executed on the spot for being so disrespectful to a king.

Well it's his sunlight.

Diogenes was wrong to assume society means nothing

Alexander was a huge fan of diogenes iirc.

"Say what you like, but if I were not Alexander, I would like to be Diogenes."

False

Diogenes now lives on the sun while Alexander got a shitty tomb in sand-land
Who do you think was right?

Only if you value or need what society offers.

Actually the entire discussion between Alexander and Diogenes was much longer and far more intersting than just Diogenes's famous catchphrase. Diogenes gave at Alexander a series of lessons about how a leader should be.
And some funny dialogue between them from when they first met:
"Alex: Hello Diogenes i' am Alexander
Diogenes: Welcome you bastard
Alex: HOW YOU DARE.
Diogenes: How i dare? Aren't you the one who says that is not the real son of Phillip, but the son of Zeus?
Alexander remained surprised by the answer and smiling he said: "Yes indeed i' m saying that". And he sit to talk with the philosopher.

Holy shit, this is great. Where can I find this.

Did he actually hold a lamp at peoples faces and ask for an honest person?

Which everyone does. Diogenes was a mental case

A SOCRATES GONE MAD.

It's from the version of their encounter as was told by the Greek philosopher and historian Dio Chrysostom.

Actually Diogenes was very intelligent, able to stand in a discussion against Plato himself. There is a historic anecdote between him and Plato. Once a student asked Plato, what exactly is the human being. Plat answered that human is a bipedal animal without feathers. When Diogenes heard the answer, he went in the market, he took a rooster, he took him out his feather, and the other day presented him in the Academy saying "take a look at Plato's human".

Alexander, modern archeology BTFOd Diogenes beyond any point of recovery

>Alexander found Diogenes looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, ‘I am searching for the bones of your father (King Philip of Macedon), but cannot distinguish them from those of a slave.'

popular-archaeology.com/issue/summer-2015/article/bones-of-philip-of-macedon-identified

Actually this wasn't what Diogenes means, but that in death all the people are the same. Diogenes was the first anarchist in history.

Says who, people who wrote centuries upon centuries later? People who probably were just looking to create some folk heroes for their philosophical school, like Herakles?

Diogenes might have been smart before he lost his mind and became a homeless vagrant. If you want to know what Diogenes was like, go to a busy intersection and talk with the homeless people begging for change. Just pray they don't shit in the street and masturbate in front of you like Diogenes.

He was mentally ill. Deal with it, don't glorify his ailment.

"If I were not Diogenes, I would also want to be Diogenes"

Alexander cause he was right in his sunlight

>all the people are the same. Diogenes was the first anarchist in history.
what?
He wasn't an anarchist, that isn't an anarchist statement.
To say that all men are reduced to dust does not undermine the legitimacy of kingship or nobility.
Everyone dies but your reputation lives forever.
Notice how Diogenes referred to him as King and the other man as a slave.

There was a Sumerian poem or something that was very similar.

"Was I not Diogenes, I would almost content myself with being Alexander"

The absolute nadman

>Actually the entire discussion between Alexander and Diogenes was much longer and far more intersting than just Diogenes's famous catchphrase. Diogenes gave at Alexander a series of lessons about how a leader should be.

Did this even happen? I feel it's just too perfect, and likely never happened. The biggets man in the world meets the lowest. It's too mythological. They likely never met.

The sun.

Homeless people are pretty cool dudes, though.

Being intelligent doesn't mean you can't also be a nutter

Always Diogenes, fucking always.

Diogenes wasn't the "lowest," he was a beloved and famous celebrity with the respect of many.