Medieval Architecture General /mag/

I need a cohesive list of architecture styles/types in medieval (11th-15th century) Europe.

Also, what's the best type and why was it Romanesque?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing
youtube.com/watch?v=cMkmGb1W-9s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's what Romanesque interiors looked like.

How can gothicfags compete?

Some more Romanesque churches

Look into German timber framing, they and the Belgians have the best ones imo

I like the Irish Round Towers

Now with attached castle

comfy

The Nuremberg Chronicle illustrations are interesting for looking at medieval architecture. Some are done poorly but the detailed ones are great, especially when you can regonise buildings that survived to the present day.

Intredasting. You can see the power structure. The castles, the churches and municipal buildings all stand out representing the nobility, clergy and officials. Then there is the smattering of commercial buildings representing the merchants, the economic power. Finally the mish mash of homes for the commoners. The ebb and flow of life in medieval cities was plain for all to see. Nothing was hidden.

hey I've seen that model

What happened to the central keep between 1428 and 1535?

Don't know, probably a easy target for cannons

So damn comfy

Suck my rhineland cock.

Can one privately own a castle and live in it comfortably with butler and maids?

>Here comes the muslim or the white liberal with his Islamic shit

Yes. There's actually several castles for sale, some with completely modernized interiors. It would be pretty comfy.

Yes you can buy some castles in Germany, don't know about pic related though

U MAYYAD, BRO?

Cool. I want my downton abbey or at least work in it

>Romanesque
Roman in name only.

Pretty but I really hate islamic carpets. I dont know why.

If you're really interested, you should read the works of Viollet Le Duc, a french 19th architect, who is considered a master of medieval architecture

>those spires will be replaced by minarets before the century is out

Is that not a church?

Nothing in this picture is medieval.

Ghent is very comfy. Would highly recommend to anyone.

My dream is to buy an old 16th century hall that sits on a hill outside town. I think it's a small pele tower (a common part of northern England/Southern Scotland where reivers and bandits roamed the border). I'd restore main stone hall and rebuild the timber hall that ran perpendicular from it. Maybe even add a small curtain wall, not that there was one but perfectly possible.

Pic related

i'm guessing the king/lord decided to let battles in the generals so the main keep was replaced with barracks?

But more likely it has something to do with gunpowder being used for sieges.

What was this kind of building called?
How effective were they for everyday use?
I swear these things are a masterpiece at combining functionality with aesthetics.

Early 14th century Bulgarian donjon tower in a fortress like monastery

They're called 'Timber framing', 'fachwerk' in German. I agree, to me they're the pinnacle of comfyness aesthetics and I want my dream home to look like or actually be one of them but with modern creature comforts of course. I think the issue with them though is that like all buildings made out of wood they could get really hot during the summer but I don't ever it gets too hot in Europe to be a concern, if anything shit gets too cold in Europe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing

This town might be a meme now and gets posted regularly but it's still a time capsule

Fun fact: Nordlingen was filmed for 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' for the aerial shots near the end. I've heard so many normies guess it was Austria as if Germany isn't aesthetic as well

youtube.com/watch?v=cMkmGb1W-9s

Dinkelsbuhl and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are the only other remaining cities that are still within their walls although the latter is a tourist trap

How much of it is restoration ?

Nordlingen was never bombed during WWll, the worst event to occur to it was the 30 years war. Some sources claim it was never sacked whiles claim otherwise. I'am not a expert in timber framing but I remember user telling me that the German government is doing a bad job resorting and maintaining these buildings and then paint them to look more colorful.

Compare this photo of Rothenburg with the modern one and Rothenburg was bombed but not leveled like Dresden or Hamburg

To be fair as long as the buildings are still original underneath I can't give a rats ass about the plaster. If you think about it, a house has to be re plastered every 15 years or so. Imagine how many colors it changed in the 500 years it existed. Just because something is historical doesn't mean we should maintain it in the condition that our brain dictates as historical.

I agree i'am just relating what was told to me by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about. I'am just grateful these places still exist whether its in Germany, France, Britain, rest of Europe etc. We need to keep this history alive for as long as possible

*relaying* not relating

insh'allah

>you did not form of a group of armed archaeologists and historians who went to Syria and Iraq to prevent the destruction of both ancient and medieval-Islamic structures

I'd like to keep my head on my shoulders thank you very much.

FTFY

wtf i hate muslims now

16th century GOMAD/oats&squats