What are the most underrated historical figures?

What are the most underrated historical figures?

Lucullus

Philip II of Macedon

>I want to make a comic that relies solely on text to make its point
>better make sure the text is illegible

Thrasybulus

who?

me t.b.h,

Restored Athen's democracy and power after the Peloponnesian war. Heavily praised by his contemporaries but most work on him was lost over time.

>democracy
And dropped.

Athens was a joke after the peloponsian war though. and the democracy helped them lose the war.

Me.

I'm the most underrated historical figure in all of fucking history. Nobody knows or even acknowledges my great feats.

Initially after they were weak, but they strengthened thanks to Thrasybulus and Conon.

>Democracy lost the wars
They were actually close to winning multiple times. The plague, Persia assisting Sparta, and Peracles' strategy of absolutely no offense were their main contributors to losing.

They did it right, only about 10% of the population could actually vote.

Less than 10% of the population has a meaningful vote today. Democracy is still a shitty system to use on anything beyond village level organization.

sicilian expedition and executing blameless generals was due to democracy though.

Thrasybulus was killed while sleeping in his tent for being a dirty little pirate warmonger. Kind of like Alkibiades, in that single respect.

>they did it right, only about 10%...

They did democracy, yes, where citizens could vote.

There's literally no real comparison with modern, Western government, because the West is entirely ruled by moderate oligarchies that have usurped the term "democracy" so that they can claim all the glory and legitimacy of democratic rule. Today it just means "uses the oligarchic institution of direct election to transfer power from one oligarch to another."

I don't know why that other user said dropped, but whatever.

>10%

not an oligarchy

this

And bad military decisions and executing generals who souldn't have been occurred in non democratic countries as well. I think it's hard to argue Athens system was worse than Sparta's. Sparta completely collapsed just a few decades after their victory of the war, while Athens rose again, although not to the extent they previously had.

>Dirty little pirate warmonger
T. Mindarus

Not a oligarchy, because the 10% figure is a meme.

One, it's not even a real statistic, someone just grabbed the lowest guess they could find.

Two, it isn't limited to the demos, the male adult citizen body. It's literally the lowest guess based on the highest total population including slaves, metics, women, etc.

Three, it refers to actually proposing resolutions and voting in the assembly. In the modern west, "citizens" are just metics who pay tax and have zero personal authority in the assemblies.

The West is not democratic for a number of reasons, including the above remark about being metics. Besides the assembly being an oligarchic institution, the judiciary is oligarchic, the executive bodies are oligarchic.

Ancient Athenians would be horrified at how we teach our kids that we live in democratic nations that are based on their ancient example and heritage.

Muhammad

>Said no to the 14th
Based

El Cid

>comparing swing voters to high caste democracy