Naval Empires

What empires used to have strong influence over the seas?

Basically every trade empire
Venice, Genoa etc, obviously most of the empires who widely engaged in colonization/ imperialism, there are quite a lot of them

RULE
U
L
E

Most empires had a strong naval presence. If you wanna know about disproportionate naval power, you should look to Athens, Venice, Aragon, England, Netherlands, Majapahit (and pretty much every polity that followed it in the same area), Oman, etc.

>Early Ming dynasty
>Portugal
>Britain
>Majapahit
>Netherlands
>Oman for a little while

The word "Thalassocracy" was drilled into my heads in Classics classes.

>>Majapahit
the most underrated empire

The US Navy is by far the most important branch of the military.

W-we're still good at it, even after denbt. Not much of an empire tho

This. People underestimate just how much the usefulness of every other branch is bolstered by the navy. You can't have a truly global military force without one.

Britain

I wouldn't call any Chinese dynasty a naval Empire. Largely because while they did have a sophisticated and large navy during their time, they were mostly for defense of the Chinese Coast and tradeships up to Malacca.

I mean, sure, you had that whole episode with Zheng He and the treasure fleet. But that was more of a Grand Tour to impress the Spice Route states rather than a sustained naval policy.

In addition, funnily enough, it was the Late Ming that acted more like a naval empire. It defended trade routes from both pirates and even European colonialists and ranged as far as trouncing the Portuguese in Moluccas in addition to raids of reprisal in outlying Japanese islands which were used as pirate bases.

Athens

did portugal ever try to colonize america

they couldn´t because of Tordesillas treaty
but they did explore Canada I think

Wtf is that map, why is Corsica blue, that island wasn't even inhabited until the Renaissance

Its Phoencian I think. But it's missing their capital.

The Crown of Aragon is really overlooked

dude Corsica was discovered by Garibaldi in 1855

Corsica wasn't even discovered until 1965 when we sent a satellite into space and discovered a large landmass in the Mediterranean.

>Discovered in 1965

It was scouted in 1924 by a Greek party. Just because they died doesn't mean it wasn't found

they explored/charted Newfoundland in search for Northwest Passage but that's it

Could this be considered the Mediterranean of Asia?

List definitely not complete, but for dominant naval powers.

>Bronze age
Minoans
Ugarit
Myceneans

>Iron Age
Phoenicians/Carthage
Etruscans
Athens

>Medieval
Genoa
Venice
Byzantines

>Renaissance +
Portugal
Netherlands
Spain
Britain

Any good books for Oman or Majapahit?

carthage was a republic, brainlet

The term applies to thalassocracies as well.

>implying a Republic can't have an empire

so roman republic was an empire before being an empire?

Most of Rome's empire was conquered during the Republic though.

it was actually discovered in 2015, here's a photo of the navigator who charted and landed on the elusive island.

They tried in Greenland and Newfoundland but the cold climate wasn't very good to grow things like sugar cane so it wasn't a profitable territory.
However the name Newfoundland comes from the original name the portuguese gave the region, Terra Nova

>Aragon
>Strong navy
Lol they got cucked by Genoa and Castile in no time

Did Oman really have a powerful navy?

Someone tell me why Genoa >>> Venice.
I see that pushed constantly here but never an explanation.

>Etruscans
>naval empire

>ugarit
>empire

I mean they had ships but the former only heard continental territories with the exception of part of Corsica and the latter wasn't an empire

Also Etruscans too weren't a real empire but a coalition of city states

>historical reasons why Genoa > Venice
none lol
genoa was irrelevant after the war of chioggia
it turned itself over to the french before bankrolling the spanish
which was smart, until their economy collapsed from precious metals coming from the new world and repeated wars to defend catholicism

>ahistorical reasons why Genoa > Venice
Genoa has better missions in EU4

Britain was the traditional heavy hitter in global naval supremacy. The United States obviously surpassed them during the war and remains that guy to this day. China by the late 21st century?

the new world and its materials
venice was profiting trading good from the east

The Op wasn't asking for naval empires. He was asking for dominant naval powers.

The title is "NAVAL EMPIRES: What empires used to have strong influence over the seas?"

Can you read?

This

>He doesn't know about Barcid Imperialism

genociding bastards

China has a dubious economy and a severe lack of any naval tradition so I doubt they will surpass US naval supremacy this century the way they are going.

I do wonder, if they did by chance get close, if the USA could pull together enough industry to out build them

Eh. Ugarit and the Etruscans still had dominant naval powers. The phoenicians weren't an empire but ignoring their dominance would be a joke.

But yes, my reading comprehension is shit, smite me. I just looked at strong influence over the seas and the pic of Carthage. My answer still stands.

>China by the late 21st century?

They lack serious power projection with their navy right now, they have built it around strong regional influence, not global

Even if they did start upping their naval strength it wouldn't go unnoticed by the US who would just do the same.

>China
Maybe in the Pacific

The difference is that the US navy right now is basically as big as it is ever going to be whereas the Chinese navy still has tons of room for growth.

>Be Japan.
>Be Island state.
>Its a trend in history for Island States to become naval powers or at least competent seamen.
>Absolutely suck at naval anything for a good goddamned part of your history.
>Of all the East Asian powers who became the naval power, its China, the big continental Empire, that does so.
East Asian naval history is weird.

Malacca Sultanate m8..stretches from malay peninsular,southern siam,and indonesia.

Indian merchants called it "golden earth" while the chinese honored the sultanate.

Malacca influence is strong due to their strategic location that connects to china and india.

everything went well until some portugese guy called albuqurque came and fuck shit up

They hate Venice due to the 4th crusade

Probably had the coolest ships

Cyprus

soto tried, it didn't go well

>Lying this much
Nothing compared to Majapahit or Srivijaya

Who needs a navy when the sea itself does all the work for you?

everyone forgets the vandals

Yes, it´s called Brazil.

THESE DIGITS

Epic memes, my fellow redditors

>Empire
>Can't even keep control over their main island
>Get rekt by the fucking Dutch

I didn't they just didn't have a long history of naval domination compared to the other three.

Pretty sure he meant USA/North America

Quints confirm my fellow Vandalboo

The Dutch were beast from 1600-1700. The strongest navy for the century. They took on Spain, then England and France at the same time.

Can I have a quick run down?

Hindu thalassocracy that fought back mogols, practiced religious tolerance, beautiful buildings and had weird ass customs.
>If someone was touched on his head, or if there is a misunderstanding or argument when drunk, they will instantly draw their knives and stab each other. When the one being stabbed was wounded and dead, the murderer will flee and hide for three days, then he will not lose his life. But if he was caught during the fight, he will instantly stabbed to death (execution by stabbing