Historical Film Recommendations

Just finished watching The Horde (2012).

Unique Setting:late 1300s golden horde/russia

Pros:
Lots of attention to history, you get immersed in the mongol/tatar world of the time, its beautiful, savage, and dirty.

Film on its own is quite good, with religious overtones, reminds me a lot of Silence(2016) actually.

Cons:
Russian film with russian dubs (might be a version without)

based entirely on the picture you posted i have an extremely hard time believing that htis film pays "lots of attention to history"

Schindler's List ;^)

Oh so you are an expert in what mongol princes cira 1300s wore huh. Looks pretty similar to the paintings

i highly doubt that.
Mongols had some flamboyant outfits thats for sure, but your picture looks the final fantasy version of a mongol.

I think Master & Commander is fairly top of the line as far as historically accurate, entertaining media goes.

Yes its so far off

is that picture supposed to disprove my point?
Because it only reinforces it.
That type of outfit is functional for armor, but mongolian princes didnt wear armor, and they didnt dress like warriors. Especially not in the early 14th century.
This. Shame that the film changed the antagonists from the US during the war of 1812 to a genericNapoleonic wars setting.

Watch "Mongol" it a legitimate 9/10. The fights are pretty good but the camera work, acting, and atmosphere is incredible.

This.

The French are an enemy audiences the world over can enjoy being shot to pieces.

That film is great but it's very historically inaccurate

amadeus is a great film about Mozart.
Generation war is a great series about WWII through the eyes of Germans.
Both are on Netflix

Waterloo

This, shows how shit Napoleon really was and had lost it

Kek
>MUH STAR will protect me, MUUUHHHH!!!!

Downfall
this but unironically

Half of these aren't really related to the Civil War and others aren't particularly historically accurate. Gettysburg is also just a filmed reenactment. Calling it a movie because it's on film is being generous.

Hard to be a God
Dersu Uzala
Tsar
Khrustalyov, My Car!
Andrei Rublev
Moloch

what are some good movies set in ancient greece/rome/iran?

Death of Yazdgerd is an interesting film set in sassanid Iran do not exactly ancient but not like its contemporary either. It's a lot like 12 angry men.

Nostos

This, I really hate how clean and well fed all the extras are in Gettysburg

user said history films, not fantasy ;^)

300, man up and face it

t. Alireza losangeleszahdeh

>Gettysburg is also just a filmed reenactment.
What? It has actors and follows a plot. Just because they used reenactors does not mean it is a filmed reenactment.

>having that fat fuck Amon Goeth played by the Chad Ralph Fiennes

Are you fucking kidding me?

Gods and Generals is a piece of shit and shouldnt be included.
Andersonville should be replaced with the tv version of The Andersonville Trial.

>Half of these aren't really related to the Civil War

Dances with Wolves, Beguiled, and Good, Bad, Ugly are the only ones where their relation to the Civil War is questionable.

>Gettysburg is also just a filmed reenactment. Calling it a movie because it's on film is being generous.
>Ensemble cast of talented and well-known actors are brought in the play the major characters
>brilliant soundtrack is written for it
>just a filmed reenactment

Leave nigger.

I enjoyed Ralph Fiennes in this film. Actually, I enjoyed every part of the film.

>Gods and Generals is a piece of shit and shouldnt be included.

I would agree if it weren't for the soundtrack and Stephen Lang's performance.

>Andersonville should be replaced with the tv version of The Andersonville Trial.
>Captain Kirk LARPing as a prosecutor for three hours

Put it on Comedy Central

Large portions of the movie were quite literally reenactments. The entire battle is a reenactment strung together with edits shot at a location not on the battlefield. From the wiki:

>Thousands of Civil Warreenactorsfrom across the country volunteered their time to come to Gettysburg to participate in the massive battle scenes.

In fact most of the pivotal moments of the movie are scenes involving the reenactors and most of the cast filmed scenes separate from the reenactors. Also the costumes, replicas, and really the entire look of the movie looks cheap because it was pitched and filmed to originally be a made for TV miniseries.

I have very fond memories of Gettysburg. My family, one year, took a RV vacation, just driving east to see landmarks. We watched it over the course of the two nights prior to reaching the real Gettysburg, which gave the whole experience a lot of weight.

>we will never get the intended 6hr version of Gods & Generals that had the entire Battle of Antietam

>A 6 hour American Civil War epic
I'd pay money to see that.

>6hr version of Gods & Generals that had the entire Battle of Antietam

>Gods and Generals
Don't do it user. Its four hours of your life you'll never get back.

Hey, good post.

thats usually how movies work

>Actually, I enjoyed every part of the film.

Even the part where the Jewish woman gets shot and her head bounces off the ground like a goddamned basketball?

>The entire battle is a reenactment strung together with edits shot at a location not on the battlefield.

They had to do that because the National Park Service didn't want them using the actual site of Pickett's Charge and there are scores of monuments at the Gettysburg battlefield that would need to be either removed or edited out in the film (ten years prior to CGI taking off).

t. know a reenactor who actually participated in making the film

>In fact most of the pivotal moments of the movie are scenes involving the reenactors

So? They pretty much volunteered to do it for free and brought their own gear, which is a helluva lot cheaper than hiring thousands of extras and equipping them with uniforms that would've taken months to procure.

>Also the costumes, replicas, and really the entire look of the movie looks cheap because it was pitched and filmed to originally be a made for TV miniseries.

Ted Turner literally had to finance it with his own fucking money because ABC backed out of the project. I know he's rich, but he's not that rich.

Just watch every scene with Stephen Lang and Jeff Daniels and ignore the rest.

Saw Horde on youtube, you can also see this one there: With Fire and Sword. About cossacks fighting the poles. Also check out An Ancient Tale: When the Sun was God. Some of the actors from With Sword and Fire are on it. And of course Viking, a Russian film.

Agora, which compares the rise of Christianity in Alexandria to ISIS.

Newest edition
Free State of Jones