Irish Travellers

Who were/are the Irish Travellers? Where did they come from and how did they become their own ethnic/cultural group in Ireland? Curious because my moms side came to Burgerland in the 20s but my maternal line has the U3 haplogroup which is apparently most common in Romani so I was wondering if there was some connection there

Other urls found in this thread:

rcsi.ie/index.jsp?n=110&p=100&a=10364
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They descend from the settled Irish population, but are genetically distinctive. Due to endogamy and isolation.

rcsi.ie/index.jsp?n=110&p=100&a=10364

Romani and pikies have nothing to do with each other even if they're both called "gypsies" why is it so difficult for burgers to understand this.

They are fucking scum, don't ever talk to one. t. Irish

They have nothing to do with the Romani besides their awful lifestyle, genetically and culturally they are distinct.

>Who were/are the Irish Travellers?
Subhumans.
/thread

Relax man I googled it and was seeing conflicting answers, not invested in it one way or another dont worry im not one of these fags going around claiming to be anything other than a muttburger

Neat thanks

Whats wrong with them?

95% of them are thieves and scumbags and the other five percent are some of the nicest people you might ever meet.

t. Irishman who grew up near and has worked with a lot of travellers

Constantly starting fights for no reason
Constantly stealing shit, also for no reason. Half the time they won't even sell it, they just steal so you don't have it.
Breaking shit, no reason.
Feuding with each other and causing absolute havoc
Coming into an establishment in large numbers and absolutely destroying the place
Breaking into houses
Stealing and killing dogs and horses.
Marrying their cousins
Scamming people, especially elderly
Selling stolen goods door to door and intimidating you if you don't want to buy

They can occasionally be really nice when you get them alone, but two or more travellers together in a group are a plague. The best ones will leave their culture and hang out with normal people.

This. My dad used to be friends with a few travelers, who themselves were great people, but their children were the scum of the fucking earth. I used to play with them a lot and they were constantly trying to steal shit from me, even birthday presents.

Interesting, did they have a lot to do with the development of Irish stereotypes? This sounds a lot like the Irish being the niggers of Europe that ive heard about

Why are they like that? Like historically what reasons. Might be an interesting comparison to black americans, etc, since travellers are apparently predisposed to violence and criminality but are genetically so similar to settled irish

A lot of things ain't got anything to do with genes. It's just generations of shitty culture and mentality being implemented on these people.

Different Irish user here.
>they tried to steal my dog twice
>fucked up my ma's car (stole her hubcaps and hood ornament + smashed the windscreen)
>went to school with lots of them and they were little shits
>one kid used to never come in, when he did come in he'd just hop over the back wall at lunch time and never come back
>another kid used to glue a thumbtack to his palm and go around high fiving the retarded kids

>did they have a lot to do with the development of Irish stereotypes?
don't know about the past but nowadays you hear lots of stories about tinkers running scams in Australia or on the continent. They just blame the Irish because they can't tell the difference.

>Might be an interesting comparison to black americans
They're a hundred times worse than black Americans

>They're a hundred times worse than black Americans

Yeah i figures, im from a black city and honestly even tho crime and shit are rampant blacks get a way worse reputation than they deserve, from what ive heard gypsies in Europe are far
worse.

Most burgers will definitely disagree with me and call me le filthy nigger lover jew but I genuinely think black americans in rural and urban areas alike have more of a living culture than homogenized suburban strip mall hells people here idealize. Same goes for "trailer trash" and the remaining white ethnic neighborhoods in big cities.

But from what ive heard even from nonracist Europeans, gypsy culture and tradition literally relies on exploiting their neighbors?

The "foundation myth" for gypsies (think of Romans wewuzzing as Trojans) literally says they stole the nails from Christ's cross

This cannot be true. My sides are in orbit at the mere possibility lol.

Early modern Europe was conducive to some occupations that could be filled by itinerants. People mostly lived in small rural settlements and didn't need to get their pots repaired or knives sharpened or listen to semi-pro music or get their fortune told every single day. So some groups started travelling around to provide such services.
Itinerants who see any individual community only once every few years are in a perfect position to commit petty crimes, so some of them started to do that.
As cities got bigger and transportation got better, the need for itinerant occupations decreased.
There were originally itinerants everywhere, and only the Romani were ethnically-based. Eventually most itinerant communities became subsumed into a Romani identity. The Irish Travellers were just in a place that was relatively isolated from the Romani.

>from what ive heard gypsies in Europe are far worse.
I would swap tinkers for blacks in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

> gypsy culture and tradition literally relies on exploiting their neighbors?
Yes. In the past some of them travelled fixing pots, collecting scrap or sold things that they made. Nowadays they literally just fuck with people for money.

Do you know how to poorly tarmac a drive? Do you have 157 uncles? If not then you're not a gypo

I've only met two that weren't complete scum. Felt bad for them growing up. Painfully stupid to talk to

>Itinerants who see any individual community only once every few years are in a perfect position to commit petty crimes, so some of them started to do that.

or the other way around, people that caused problems would join some itinerant group to survive and avoid trouble, then they had to figure out what to do so they would play music for money or sharpen knives or trade in horses or whatever you can still get to do to earn a few coins

Toxic 'culture' based around fightin, robbing fellas and general hooliganism. Some of them are genial enough after a certain age but the vast majority are trouble and only bring the dirty looks and mistrust upon themselves.
There's a popular myth that they are descendants of people evicted off their small farms during the famine and hence leading to the travelling but it's been disproved somewhat.
There was an RTE moral relativist propaganda piece years ago about how they probably migrated here from the Basque Country, if you want to seek that out.
Although I recommend you move on with your life and disown that part of your ancestry.

>genetically

you poltarded faggot

>genes are /pol/

Not that guy but I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

>another kid used to glue a thumbtack to his palm and go around high fiving the retarded kids

According to the myth, for the act of stealing the nails and lessening Christ's pain, stealing is no longer sinful for gypsies.

>calling people the niggers of europe
>i-it's not /pol/

Lemme guess, right leaning "traditionalist"?

Why even don the mask?

>13 generations of inbreeding can't cause genetic problems

Holy shit relax i also posted , the opposite of what /pol/ would ever say, the point of the original post was that /pol/ thinks criminality is related to "race" and if irish travellers and romani really are as predisposed to being criminals as it seems they are despite being nearly genetically identical to peoples who are not than obviously /pol/ is bullshit

Another version does not condemn blacksmiths. It says that the blacksmith was addressed by God in a dream, where he was told to make four nails, but only hand over three, as the fourth was intended to pierce the heart of Jesus. In return God gave his descendants the right to wander the earth (rather than cursing them to it) and also the right to steal from non-Romanies, without breaking the commandment Thou shalt not steal.

Irish Travellers descend from 2 main roots, tinker and travelling farm workers(mostly big groups of seasonal hop and orchard workers, and the navvies from the 18/19th century who would be in gangs of up to 5000 living in tent cities alongside the canals as they were built, same for the rural railways and tunnels.

Romani are the ancient ones here having been around since medieval times, they dont mix with the irish afaik. There are also diidicoys (diddlos) and pikeys, both of which are from familes mixed with outsiders from the romani usually. there are also Kale in Wales who are similar to the romani, and the old hippy travellers left from the 60s(very few now) plus the new generation of crusties (hippies form the 90s).