Veeky Forums vidya

TOAW IV got released a few days ago, anyone been playing it? Is it worth it?

looks like a game the nerds play with felt pens and lined paper in the library at lunchtime

yeah, stick with CoD WW2 untermensch

Friend showed me it a bit. Seems pretty neat. I will however continue to shill for War in the East.

ok

Also the new John Tiller game Campaign Petersburg seems pretty cool. Overhauled graphics finally as well.

>72 eurodollars
Yeah, nah

it looks pretty nice, too bade, I don't really care that much about ACW
would be nice if the graphics were overhauled for the older Panzer Campaigns or Squad Battles

I bought it on sale for about 50 US. No way was I spending 80 on it.

TOAW has the benefit of having various scenarios set all around the world, not just Eastern Front, but other fronts as well and not just WW2 either.
I read that they overhauled Naval Battles so I'm itching to try some pacific scenarios myself.

>on sale for about 50 US

I know right? All these wargames have horrible high prices.

Rising storm is great for some semi realistic Pacific gameplay

it's because they're very niche and only neckbeards or ww2 autists buy them

Looks like hearts of iron but for nerds

Vanilla OpenTTD makes you follow the history of transportation (new technology becomes avaiable at certain dates). It's a pretty neat game, though it takes a while to get used to. You'll probably be swiming in debt on your first playthroughts.

>reminded to play Graviteam
>put shit on AI
>watch as a panzer bails out, having taken 5 holes in the front turret
>all but one man is killed instantly
>the last one takes off running
>gets shot in the leg
>gets up again
>the tracers have started fires all around him
>lays on the ground
>puts his hands on his head
>"the Germans have requested a cease-fire"
I know I'm supposed to actually play, but it's so amazing just hovering over a single guy and seeing what he does.

behold!
the greatest pincer movement of the war!

What game is that? Looks interesting.

strategic command 2 war in europe
try it! its addicted

I just got into Victoria 2 but for the life of me I can't figure out why everyone spazzes out and declares war on me as Prussia. I read to form Germany you have to own all of the smaller German states so I get CBs and annex them but then all the great powers randomly declare war. Is this game even realistic?

>all divisions fighting regiments

>beiing a großdeutschland faggot

theres your first mistake

>to form Germany you have to own all of the smaller German states
I pity you, you brainlet I really do

>I can't figure out why everyone spazzes out and declares war on me as Prussia
What are their casus bellis?

Lemme guess, your badboy meter went through the roof.

Interesting... I used to play TOAW a lot back in the late 90s and it was loads of fun. I remember trying to win the Battle of France as the French a few times. Of course, knowing where the Germans are going to come through is a big advantage.
Glad to hear there's a new version.

I just want to form super Germany somehow. That's how I got interested in the game. Just something about having all Germans united is cool.

Great thing about this game is how much time it covers. You can play stuff all the way from WWI onward, and people even make pre-WWI scenarios sometimes.

How is WitW?

who is producing these fucking things

I have it but I have never actually played a multiplayer game and the AI just retreats to the edge of the map as soon as you make a breakthrough so I could not say. Community seems much smaller though.

>Tank gets destroyed in middle of German squad
>Crew bails out, no ammo left
>One of crewman runs to German MGunner and kicks him to death

>Tanks attack on village during night
>Get ambushed by AT gun from ~50m
>Tanks start to panic and crash into each other
>Platoon leader charges the gun and runs over it

I swear, the game never ceases to surprise me.

>Why is everyone declaring war on me when I'm the aggressor who is subjugating smaller European nations

I just got it but don't really have the time to get into it by reading the manual, but judging from the sheer number of scenarios (WW1, WW2 all fronts, Vietnam, bunch of hypothetical scenarios where Cold War goes hot) I'm pretty excited, also I'm pretty sure some autists are already working on new scenarios with historically accurate OOB and what not. Also it's only going to improve with updates.

It's much more limited in scope with more focus on logistics and Air Warfare I think.
I just wish they'd make a game about the 1939-43 period with Battle of France, Western Desert Campaign, Greece, Battle of the Atlantic, etc.

Thoughts on Hearts of Iron IV? I'm not really into grand strategy, but my history friends say they enjoy it.

I myself am a simple man, with simple tastes.

Did you try goading petulant frogs into war, thus making yourself their saviour rather than their conqueror?

its one of those games/genres that are being played by like 10 people, but those people will buy those games even for 100 dollars.

which one of them is best? Iam not realy interested into the Western front so only Eastern one pls.

What is the closest opensource to this?

There are only OP star (Eastern front+modern combat as DLCs), Mius Front (only Eastern Front) and Tank Warfare (Only North Africa).

If you are not sure you gonna like the game wait for sale for OP star, it get's real cheap from time to time. It's a bit dated in terms of graphics and UI, but gameplay is more or less same. Otherwise get Mius with Voronezh DLC, since in Voronez they added versions with overhauled operational phase.

Anybody have any game recommendations that take place in antiquity? Hegemony 3 has been pretty good. Been just doing that and using a nod for EU4, since Roma Universalis is kinda dated and favors Rome too much.

How simmilar is it to the Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943? I did not liked that oen desu.

Didn't had the chance to play Kharkov, it's probly gonna be the same but much better. So if you fundamentally didn't like Kharkov, you ain't gonna like the newer ones.

well, graphics looks much better, it seems liek that soldiers are much more individual and probably actualy follow your orders instead of running on one place while being attacked by enemy MGs

>I myself am a simple man, with simple tastes
hoi4 sounds like a good fit

HoI IV is garbage baby tier gsg
If you want a good gsg, that doesn't go full autism like HoI 3, get Darkest Hour

>Age of empires
>Age of mythology (not actually historical but incorporates mythology and ancient society's together
>Red Orchestra
>Total war games
>Mount and blade (Not a historical game at all, however you get to be a medieval knight and rise to power and control armies)
>Shadow Tactics: Blade of the shogun
>Verdun
>Civilizations
>Crusader Kings
>Hearts of iron
>Europa Universalis

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.

>he doesn't mention THE GAME OF ALL GAMES

You surely are not a lover of the liquer.

WHAT DID I FUCKING MISS

You don't even now the liquer simulator.

YOU TELL ME NOW

Sorry lad. Have to go.

Victoria 2

Tbh the only Paradox game I couldn't get into. Always run into deficit problems no matter what I do. Maybe I'm a brainlet but I could master Vicky 1 quite easily and that was an unintuitive af game.

I went with EU4 - which, btw, is on sale for €10 along with CK2.

How has no one mentioned Hoi3 with black ice 8.6? It's the most delightful autism. /ourgame/

I only really play HOI3, the black ice mod has come a long way and is kind of the definitive way to play it. If you want any flavour at all that is, it is a bloated piece of shit by mid game but it is the only mod that does what it does and overhauls the game. I am not really a fan of the weather events especially on the eastern front and the 60 division OOBs that get spawned etc and the infinite manpower of the soviets.

I still never see combat mission series on these threads, it's superior to some of the shit that gets posted.

I have, awesome game.

>Play Black Ice
>Get 50 spam pop ups
>All seem to do something so tolerate it
>Pop up about the birth of Morgan Freeman
It's shit

You have to break Austria out of being a great power and then sphere everything you dolt, you don't annex them all

Pretty good imo. More tactical than WitE. If you get it, the Torch expansion is mandatory for beginners so be prepared for that.

>Deficit problems
More taxes on the poor and try not to get sphered for fat tariff money. Always go state capitalist as early as possible to build proper factories for RGOs because capitalists are retarded and build was "sells" well even though they'll lose out importing RGOs to support it. Colonialism becomes kind of necessary in the late game to have competitive RGOs against other GPs.

It's really not, that shit is memey yeah. But vanilla is absolute trash and HPP is okay. But the 7-8 """brigades""" per division is key. You can actually fit your divisions with all kinds of shit and make them proper. Not just spamming 3 inf 1 art divisions infinitely. It's biggest bullshit is the gimmicky weather events that railroad you into stupid shit like making it literally impossible to win a battle in the winter etc.

I just do not understand how they could strive for such historical accuracy and then put in such stupid fucking shit on top of their already bloated game. Aren't the devs super autistic when it comes to criticism as well? At least it seems better than HOI4 black ice
>Producing Sniper Teams
>You have to use factories to fucking produce a squad of people
>Still does not have realistic equipment numbers and sticks to 1000 guns per division

I am not even going to talk about HOI4, it was a complete slap in the face from Paradox and the sole reason i will never buy a game from them again. It was bad enough the cancellation of EvW. HOI4 is such a piece of garbage, the shitty grimdark map and removal of divisions leaders etc. The only semi-decent feature was the production and how units actually lose equipment etc.

I am saying that the people who made Black Ice for HOI4 fucked the production system up by making you produce fucking squads of people. There is a mod on the workshop right now that adjusts the equipment numbers to realistic amounts. For instance a division of 16 thousand men would need 16 thousand guns. But the people who made Black Ice for it still fucked it up. Black Ice, for 3 and 4, suffers from something most realism mods have. And that is they try to make it slower, shittier and more complicated thinking it makes a game more realistic. When really, it just makes you do unnecessary bullshit. Gary Grigsby's War in the East is much more realistic than Black Ice but is actually fun to play. These mods are not realism mods, they are autism simulators.

Where did you get this scenario? I (((pirated))) TOAW IV and i don't see this one.

Need a recommendation laddos. toaw 4, the new strategic command, or Gary Grigsby(east of course) for WW2 strategy. Only played baby shit before like from parajew interactive

Read some After Action Reports from each games forums. See which one you like the best.

I only have experience with TOAW 3 and WitE so I can only comment on that.
Probably the best thing about WitE is the grand campaign, while it has smaller scenarios or "road to"s to help you learn or ease you in, the grand campaign spanning from 1941 to 1945 and from Berlin to to the Urals is the main draw of WitE. If you absolutely cannot deal with strategy then I would say go with TOAW since it has those easily digestible piece-meal scenarios. WitE also has really good emergent gameplay, In my most recent campaign I was playing Soviets and survived the initial assault fairly well, which resulted in a giant battle on the plains near Smolensk which crippled me enough though I repelled enough that I wasn't able to launch a winter offensive but was in a good position since I took a risk of not evacuating the factories on Smolensk and Moscow so I had a lot more equipment to work with in 42.

thanks anons, WITE sounds like the ultimate endgoal, from what ive seen though between TOAW and strategic command as an introductory any other advice?
From what ive seen strategic command looks the easiest to pickup and play, however the depth of combat looks really weak(can only build infantry at the corp or army level, optional equip with mobilisation/artillery/other based on research). Ill likely just pirate both and see which i like more, move on from there.
user, how long has your WITE game taken? It gives me a nervous boner to think of how long it would take to control operations on that scale, yet alone frustration if something you fucked up an hour ago only just became apparent

So is hearts of iron 4 really that much shallower than 3?

Multiple boards and subreddits, and probably even more websites. You have to remember that this thing was the go-to meme for an entire election year.

It gets lots more hate then it deserves, but there is definitely truth in the lack of depth in gameplay
It lacks lots of the content that is expected in a wargame(order of battle, semi competent AI)
It also features lots of automation in various systems, you could play the whole game without individually clicking on a unit to attack. This is nice for people new to the genre, however experienced players find this kind of semi-required automation restricting gameplay
What it does have going for it is a great production system. In all other games of the type i have played, the following more or less happens exactly: you have an abstraction of industrial capability, and that is used to construct new units, and repair damaged ones. Hoi4 breaks it down one step further, you use individual factories as an abstraction of industry to produce equipment that is used to build new divisions and reinforced damaged ones.
It is likely to improve and receive more depth in its aforementioned issues in coming DLC over the next few years, at a large financial cost if you want to play the whole game.

Thankfully they are adding in an order of battle system in the next DLC. I just find the UI so terrible. When on the attack it is not that bad, except for when you do a breakthrough and an army that was suppose to go to Leningrad now has it's front stretched to fucking Kiev. But on the defense in MP anything higher than two speed and I can just no organize an effective defense because I can't tell what fucking unit is assigned to what army, units are shifting back and forth leaving holes in the line it is just horrible.

Depends on how the campaign goes. The first few turns are by far the longest, lots of movement, lots of attacking, lots of planning.the first 5 turns will probably take like an hour or more each but after that the front starts forming a solid line with much less movement or actions being taken each turn reducing time from an hour to 10-30 minutes for a turn, depending on the weather and date. for my first campaign it took about 15-20 hours to reach the end of 1941.
>It gives me a nervous boner to think of how long it would take to control operations on that scale yet alone frustration if something you fucked up an hour ago only just became apparent
unless it was a colossal fuck up like deleting your entire army you can recover from pretty much any situation due to how long the war is. The Soviets lost millions of men in 1941 in real life, theres nothing wrong you losing millions as well.
Pic related is from the road to dnepropetrosvk scenario I did, it's nice to train or practice on these scenarios because they are actually just the exact units and objectives as you would have in the grand campaign, but your restricted to just that army group and area so you don't have to worry about or manage the other army groups and get better at planning operations.

This is my game at the end of the Kasserine pass scenario, how did i do m8s. Probably should have had a blocking unit on the road to the pass itself. This last encirclement was the last of many, at the end of the scenarios it shows you what the AI had left in the theatre and this is it. Basically they were completely done for. They have a handful of infantry, some vichy tanks and at/arty. Not much else. This style of hex game is pretty comfy, a lot less stressfull and draining than some massive campaign in HOI3. I definitely want to try out war in the east.

how well is information conveyed ingame?
for instance looking at your screenshot there are mountains south of proskurov, could i see what kind of modifiers would happen if i attacked over them in the game itself? having to read through a 100 page long manual is never an enjoyable part of the game, so it would be nice if information was conveyed in toolips/hover-overs

The lines and battle plans in this game are fucking stupid, as germany you could not draw a plan that reached through belgium into france while either is at peace. Even worse is when there are third parties in the conflict on your border, every time they take land from the enemy that you have an order on it splits the battleplan and adds a line with the units in that province to this line, so they stay there and garrison against a neutral country

Steel Division 1944 and its older brother Wargame is pretty fun.

You said exactly my problem with Black Ice in HoI3

It destroys your OoB every few months. I get that it's accurate as divisions swapped around in corps all the time in mechanized warfare but goddamn does it make keeping a simple oob impossible. And I say that, while I freaking was able to play the Soviet Union in a MP game managing the OoB without stopping and keeping up.

I had to find a OoB editor online to make sense of what I was doing by 1941.

>For instance a division of 16 thousand men would need 16 thousand guns.
More like 10-12k, the rest of that is auxiliary staff.

Does Matrix actually make fun games? Every time I look at their stuff they have like 30 games on each front/war and I'm not sure whats the difference between them all before lolnewer one.

fine I guess? you don't really have to calculate anything, the game automatically calculates stuff like morale, number of active personnel, training and equipment to give CV, a number that can is a representation of the strength/ability of a division. There is a metric assload of info in-game and it's not easy to read, but the majority of it is irrelevant to you personally as all you really need to know to make good decisions is stuff like the CV of your divisions, how far they can move, and what railroads are operation which is all extremely easy to read. That said reading the manual is pretty much required, but you don't have to read all of it but just skim through it and then reference it if you need help. The game is also less then a gigabyte, just pirate it to try it out

This Korea scenario is bretty cool, i feel the looming feeling that i am going to get blown out by the UN forces once they pour in every turn. Playing pretty accurately so far, if i am not mistaken the Norks blew the south koreans out hard as fuck and got to like Pusan.

You best hope it doesn't go historical, but you're probably fucked anyway, the usaf is coming

It's gotten quite messy, tons of UN troops blowing me out. Barely holding out. Their latest offensive put me in a route.

Any of you lads tried this? Shit's pretty cash, better than Verdun already imo. Just needs some polish, optimisation, balance, new squads maps etc and it'll be perfect.

Mosin has the most realistic bolting sound ive ever heard in game.
t. reenactor

Hearts of Iron 4 is okay, but there's a few things about it that really grinds my gears, especially stuff related to building slots, national focuses, and democracies.

This. Shame it crashes all the time and that they ruined blackice for Hoi4

Do you guys realise why having 12-16k infantry equipment to make a single division can't work for Hoi4, rite? To be able to make division they'd also need to boost amount of equipment you produce. However that is not quite a solution due to a bug in the engine because whenever you have 1.5 milion of something, be it planes, infantry equipment or tanks, the game deletes it all and you go -1.5 mil.

>Legionary Romania
>Bohemian Empire
>Turan
What kind of autism is this?

The right kind, user

Some are shit, some are good. AGEOD ones are hit and miss. OAW (IV) is great.
Garry Grigsby's games are incredibly detailed and excellent, but I could never get over clunky interface and very slow gameplay.
OAW is a bit less complex, but far more fluid, often because it deals with smaller scenarios.

Forgot a pic

For me, some mix of HoI 3 and 4 would be perfect.

I don't like how in 4 they ditched the whole order of battle thing. I really don't like the whole "put the entire army under one field marshal" thing they did.

I like the new production and air war system. Air combat was fucking impenetrable to me in 3, and required way, way too much micromanaging for too little effect. I like the production in 4 too because I suffer from the sort of autism of wanting to see every tank and plane and gun individually produced instead of abstracted out into a number.

I also vastly prefer the slot technology to the wall of shit in 3 where you could be researching like half of something.

Really what was needed for the stuff that was cut after 3 was just a redesign, not a cull. What made that shit tedious and frustrating in 3 was the fucking horrible interface. All they needed to do was rethink the interface design for things and it would have been fine.

>It was bad enough the cancellation of EvW
dont bring this up it still haunts me

and then the unfinished game was leaked on /gsg/ just to fucking tease me further

FUCKING SWEDES

Pirate the DLC. You're going to hate yourself if you play base EU4/CK2 on the current patches.