Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I'm doing research on a piece at my local art museum, its a mid 16th century German Wheel-lock gun. Its heavily decorated with horn inlay, depicting two scenes of Hercules, one of which is the Rape of Iolë. I just got home from an appointment I'd made with the curator of the exhibit it's in so that I could look at it more closely in person because its location in its case and the pictures online didn't do its decoration any justice.

Something I noticed while I was looking at it however, was a couple of stamps on the top of the barrel. If I know anything about looking at guns, they're probably indicators of the workshop, gunsmith, or whoever contributed to the gun's construction. Apparently since the museum hadn't taken the gun out of its display since 2004, there was no mention of the stamps in the documentation they had on it. So now I'm kind of stuck because I don't know where to go from here. Most markings on guns are easy to track from like the 1700s onwards but something this old is going to be a challenge to track anything down for.

Any recommendations as to where I might start to look? Pic related is the gun in question

Other urls found in this thread:

waffen-kostuemkunde.de/redaktion.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ask if you can take a picture of the stamps so you can research the origin. Might be interesting for the museum as well.

Oh I did, that was the intention of me going. The pictures are [spoiler]on my phone[/spoiler] so I'll post them as well for reference. The stamps are pretty worn and look really similar. If I had to guess their shape I'd gander that it looks like a rooster.

Sadly my iPhone has trouble focusing at very close proximity so I had to step back a little to get some somewhat in focus pictures

It also turns everything upside down when posting too

last one

Did you take any pictures of the inside barrel?

It didn't occur to me at the time but that would have been a good idea. The curator was the one handling it so I felt a little pressured to hurry up.

If I am not mistaken the gun is 17th century Germany. It might help to look it up in Arne Hoff "Feuerwaffen 1&2". other than that, historic arms forums should be able to help you get infos on the mark.

Those are the marks of Suhl, Germany, the sign is called "Suhler Henne" and shows a hen. Suhl was (is) one of the centers of German firearms production and made some of the finest arms of the time.

That's great information, thank you! Any idea why there's two marks though? They look extremely similar

not sure, I think ones a proving mark one is a masters mark.
if you keep this thread alive I can put in some research. what you need is masters marks of Suhl 1600-1700.
By chance I'm gonna meet one of Europes leading experts for historical firearms just tomorrow. Ill show him your pics if still available.

>what you need is masters marks of Suhl 1600-1700.
Ok, apparently the book you'll need is:
"Der neue Stoeckel. Internationales Lexikon der Büchsenmacher, Handfeuerwaffen-Fabrikanten und Armbrustmacher von 1400 - 1900" by Eugene Heer. All masters marks should be in there. It only costs around $800, so you might want to check the library first.

Holy shit that'd be perfect. But I plan on using this kind of information for a research paper, I don't think I could 1. Cite an user from Veeky Forums in a scholarly manner and 2. Feel right that you practically did the research for me and I take the credit. I really appreciate what you've provided me with thus far, but don't feel obligated to feed me information. I'll post some more details of the gun to keep the thread interesting too.

They're proof marks. The proving process often involved two steps, one proof for the barrel when it was initially produced, and a second proof of the gun as a whole after the gun was fitted to the action.

Notice how the one mark is kinda worn down and has some of the inlay overlapping onto it? That was the first proof done on the barrel alone. The second more well-defined proof mark was added after the gun was completed, and is more intact because the engraving was already done when it was added.

Yeah well, in case it is interesting for him I can connect you and the expert, he is pensioned now, but he used to work as a curator for antique arms for a dozen museums, was an expert for auctions and published several dozen papers. If he agrees you'll drop me your email, I send you an email with his address and the rest is up to you two.

>Suhl was (is) one of the centers of German firearms production
Interesting fact, natural additions of manganese to the local iron ore gave the steel of Suhl superior tensile strength and thus made guns less likely to explode. This lead to the massive firearms industry in early modern Suhl, attracting some of the the finest craftsmen and artisans.

Excellent, that'd be great, I really appreciate it.

Here’s the Rape of Iole.

>raping a loli from horseback

That's pretty swag.

Does Veeky Forums ever look at items like this, the Mona Lisa or the bust of Nefertiti and just ask themselves "I wonder what would happen if I broke that?"
I mean, how does society even begin to punish someone for destroying a priceless piece of history?

Have you posted about this before? A project for uni right?

Veeky Forums needs more of people like you, enthusiasts for somewhat niche historical topics that are willing to share what they know.

>I mean, how does society even begin to punish someone for destroying a priceless piece of history?

Massive fine plus jail time.

>Does Veeky Forums ever look at items like this, the Mona Lisa or the bust of Nefertiti and just ask themselves "I wonder what would happen if I broke that?"

Everyone thinks this. It's like when you're in a really high building and think "what would happen if I just jumped out the window?" Your brain runs these kinds of hypotheticals all the time, its part of your reality-testing sub-processes.

Yeah I did previously, I don't remember entirely what I was asking for specifically but that was before I'd inquired with the curator himself. Hopefully I find something interesting [spoiler]and actually start my paper because I'm a horrible procrastinator[/spoiler]

Another detail, this flanks the left side of the Rape of Iole scene. Not really sure who “Der Nero” would be other than the Roman Emperor but I’m getting a feeling that it isn’t him it’s referring to

Maybe a bit of context on that gun. It is a hunting rifle and it has a reason for the decorum. Like in early modern Europe, hunting was a huge thing in high society. One of the hunting privileges for the nobles was using distance weapons, like crossbows and early firearms. Besides their function as weapons they served both as a status symbol and as entertainment, that's what the stories are for on the gun, you can show it around and tell a funny often erotic stories at the obligatory hunting dinner. Barrels and locks where often done in Centers of European firearms productions like Brescia or Suhl, but stocks where often done by master artists from other manufacturing centers like Milano, Vienna or Nuremberg. You can find fantastic examples of such guns in the Wallace collection in London, the Hofrüstkammer Vienna or the Metropolitan Museum. Check their online catalogs, you'll fined some crazy shit.

Mate bad news, someone called in sick and I won't be seeing my guy for the remainder of the week. Sorry.
In the meantime you could try writing to either a historical arms association or a museum with a large historic firearms collection and ask around for help on literature or whatever you'll need for your paper.
Most of those old weapons geezers really enjoy it when a young academic picks up the trade and are willing to help.
I wouldn't know a English language address for you, but since it is a German gun you might want to try waffen-kostuemkunde.de/redaktion.php and see if one of those fellows can help you along.

>wheellock
GAY

I figured that they were social pieces, but I didn't know that the smiting and decorum were done in different parts of the country. Don't mean to be some kinda asshole to ask for a source, but I would like to cite that in one way or another.

That's alright, I'm just flattered you offered at all. The paper is due next month so I think I need to just buck up and use what I have to finally write the damn thing, though I might write up some people in the field of arms/armor as decorative arts just to get connected.

Again, most of my sources are in German, I can cite "Herrlich Wild. Höfische Jagd in Tirol" a booklet by the KHM and "Tafelkultur und Jagd" by Rene Felber regarding medieval and early modern social hunting.
Regarding the guns and different production, a basic source would be Wendelin Boeheim "Handbuch der Waffenkunde" and Arne Hoff "Feuerwaffen 1&2", but I am not well versed with antique firearms and you need special literature to trace the individual origin of several master stock makers. High quality barrels seem to have been a demanded trading good, for example you'll find many excellent Albanian pistols with Italian barrels, long after Albania came under Osman control.

Maybe someone on a antique firearm board could give you a reading list in English, I guess that would be best?

Another detail

noice!

Hey. Just wanted to say this is a nice and cozy thread. Good one everyone. Kisses.

Luv u 2 buddy

why don't you ask the guy who accidentally smashed richard IIIs skull

or that spanish lady who fucked up a priceless spanish portrait of jesus and then "fixed" it

Is it rifled?

I only looked briefly but I don't think it was.