Why did he resign?

Why did he resign?

Also general pope thread if you wish? Which one was your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/pope-benedict-resigned-vatican-gay-lobby-paper-claims_n_2735642.html
ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/cardinal-danneels-part-of-mafia-club-opposed-to-benedict-xvi
inquisitr.com/4640019/controversial-pope-john-paul-ii-prophecy-reportedly-revealed-by-vatican-insider/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why did he resign?
He was much more an academic than a leader. He had spent way too much time as a holy policy wonk and had no clue what the church needed to do in order to adapt to and fix the large problems that confronted (and still confront) the church.

TBQH, I think he did the right thing by resigning. He clearly understood he wasn't the right guy for the job, so he retreated to his research and writing.

Fave Pope? No idea.

>favorite pope
Probably saint peter desu

I agree that he did the right thing resiging but I disagree about the reasoning. He did accomplish a lot during his papacy. Not as much as some of his predecessors, and obviously he had impossibly large shoes to fill, but I don't think he was the wrong guy for the job. He was the right guy for 8 years.

one of my favs is pic related

Wojtyla rightly gets a lot of credit for shaping the world as we know it today. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he brought about the fall of the USSR -- no more that Saint Ronald Reagan™ did -- but it's not a stretch to say that he was one cog in the machine. This is of course in addition to the many, many things he did within the Church itself. Canon law reform, Curia shakeups, official apologies for bad shit from the past, etc. etc.

Then there are the downsides to JP2's reign. Lots of kids got permanently fucked up because he could not or would not acknowledge the problem. That's a big deal.

Anyway, I'll give it 30 or 40 more years before we have a complete picture of Wojtyla. He may well be remembered as one of the greatest popes.

To defeat the prophecy

Please don't breed.

Because he pissed off the gay mafia that dominates the upper hierarchy of the Church.
Here's to hoping Cardinal Sarah takes up the torch and purges the clergy.

Prove me wrong

He was literally jpII’s rigyhhand man. This meme that benedict is a dindu is false. He was the man behind jp and theres a reason he succeeded jp (hint: because he was the power behind the throne and jps yes man and basically the little finger of the papal court)

He was shoved out of the way.

Shouldn't your favorite pope have been, like, a pope?

based Pope Emeritus

He couldn't serve people who openly mock his Führer.

>Lots of kids got permanently fucked up because he could not or would not acknowledge the problem. That's a big deal.

Arguably the only problem he did not tackle which has manifest into this big thing today.

Had he solved it then, we wouldn't have the church of today. But one pope can only do so much, and he probably wanted to avoid a massive PR disaster that would have been pedophiles high up during his time.

Benedict should have stepped in and appreciated everything Paul did and say the church is taking another step and then internally tackled pedophilia head on.

I think at this point they really need a new pope to fix it. Francis won't do jack

The communist un-Catholic cabal that is taking over the RCC forced him out.

No non-European should ever sit in St Peter's chair.

Maybe because he was fucking old and tired.
And beeing a pope isn't a ez job.

but St. Peter was from Judah, right?

SHUT UP

He wanted to be le first pope to resign in centuries lol

The official reason is that he was old, he saw how John Paul II was the Pope while very ill and thought he didn't want that.

Another theory is that of a powerful gay mafia that forced Benedict out.
huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/21/pope-benedict-resigned-vatican-gay-lobby-paper-claims_n_2735642.html

Benedict did have many enemies. Here is an example of an authorized biography of one of his enemies
ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/cardinal-danneels-part-of-mafia-club-opposed-to-benedict-xvi

There was no popes before Constantine.

There's even less and less White Catholics as the years go by.

Furthermore Christianity is a universalist religion. Monotheistic, our-god-is-the-only-true-god-pls-convert-to-our-religion types are the last people who ought to bitch about race.

He was not at all suited for the job. He was just an academic bureaucratic dude, with no relationship skills.

Germans are autists with 0 people skills.

What's the prophecy? My mom had a prophecy went like this
>JP2 dies
>next pope dies
> next pope kidnapped
>end of the world

Is it related?

The Pope is Pontifex Maximus. Caesar was Pntifex Maximus

>Veeky Forums is a good board
why did I fall for this meme?

>Which one was your favorite?
None

It wasn't that bad its first year.

>implying shaping the world as we've known it in the past 8 freaking years is a hood thing
>™

Does any Pope measure up to Innocent III?

ayy lmao

nice prophecy
BASED POPE
> inquisitr.com/4640019/controversial-pope-john-paul-ii-prophecy-reportedly-revealed-by-vatican-insider/

Innocent XI was top notch

He was more of a scholar than a serious leader.

He also didn’t have the stomach to confront the child-rape crisis that the church likes to pretend is over with.

The crisis basically over. Most of the abuse occured between the 60s and 80s.

Wasn't the main head of the early Christian church James though? Where did Peter being "the first pope" come from?

Like everyone else has already said, the dude preferred academics to leadership. Which is fine by me, I dunno if any of you are also Catholics but his philosophy and writings are genuinely inspired, he’s up there with Lewis for best philosophers of the 20th century.

On a different note, fuck pope Francis. I’m not a /pol/ack or anything, but he’s so shit it’s crazy. The disregard for millennia of teachings and historical knowledge is so shocking I’m genuinely appalled. The dude had no reason to become pope and could not have been picked at a worse time. The man is soft on everything that’s most threatening

Favorite Pope is OG Peter, I love the teachings provided as well as how much of an amazing yet human figure he was.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the history of the Catholic Church is a history of compromises.

That's how you survive millenia of changes.

Certainly, but giving up on core principles and spreading literal, actual, not-meme heresy is a bridge too far. Saying “welcome gays and Muslims” is fine and honorable, saying “we have lot to learn from Muslims and gays” is ridiculous, which is pretty much what he’s done.

>unmarried living/sex situation declaration
>gay acceptance
>soft on transgenderism
>soft on environmental stewardship
>soft on Islamic ideology/extremism
He’s just messing up really bad at every turn. Great guy, awful pope.

I thought he basically resigned under a cloud because of a big corruption scandal in the top ranks of the church?

Yeah, but he had zero personal involvement with that. He just saw what was going on and said "fuck this shit, I'm out".

Gay acceptance has long been a thing in the Catholic Church. In line with "don't treat these people as freaks lmao." Wake me up when they start allowing gay marriage.

And I have never encountered a modern pope who was not soft on Islamic extremism. All they ever say about it is "it's a shame such things happen."

The office of Pontifex Maximus was all but abolished and completely redesigned and we also see that the office had no real sway over docturinal decisions well into the late 4th possibly 5th century. Theodosius being cucked at every turn by Ambrose shows just how powerless the title was.

Pope Eugene IV who convened the council of Florence and pope Gregory I were my favorites.

too old and sick to serve god, humble enough to accept it

Also pius v who combatted Protestantism . Pius x who combatted secularism and modernism

There were 11 non European popes before Francis, including Peter himself.

>Which one was your favorite?
Pope Leo IX, just like any sane man.

I was googling for popes and found this.
Sorry for interrupting, please go on.

How has no one said Urban II yet?

who do you think is going to be pope after big franky?