Why has the military power of the French been declining so much since Waterloo...

Why has the military power of the French been declining so much since Waterloo? You'd think they would recover from it pretty quickly but outside of some cases like WW1 they completely sucked in every war they participated in
today is a bit better I guess but it's not as great as before

image is just bait

Population. Economics.

The Second Empire was in perfect shape

After Napolean french lost great deal of their global influence, hence worse economy, hence worse army. Right before the great war they did have had greatest standing army in the world by numbers, but closest to technological advancement that nobody else have had was them using comouflaged uniforms.

Doesn't matter when your neighbors are in a better shape.
France was at least 3 decades behind Germans in population and not as heavily industrialized.

Greater the rise, greater the fall

>outside of some cases like WW1 they completely sucked in every war they participated in
Huh, but there were the Italian wars in which they bested their Holy alliance enemy Austria, the Crimean war in which their forces where what swelled the allied ranks against Russia, the expedition in Mexico, the putting down of the Commune with virtually inexistent losses, the wars against Cochichine, Kader in North Africa, the controversial Algerian war.

Of course sweeping victories against smaller or equal-sized countries is less impressive, but there hasn't been many wars where Europe has had to fight equals recently, and even less was put toe to toe with each other.

Now, so that I stay unbias, I'll have you know I know where you're coming from: there's many stains to France's reputation (WWII though less embarassing than some people think, Indochina, Franco-prussian war, Korean expedition of 1866), but I'd argue that all these came from moments of intense political disunity within France. Hell, the Algerian war would've been lost too had the generals not staged a coup and gone their way, with their own ("eh") methods.

Have an Algerian-era French para friend.

Fuck.

It's so silly to me. You'd think they were Australian with those hats.

>image is just bait
I don't care for your excuses. In fact, admitting it just makes things worse.

Kill yourself.

>this anime PICTURE upsets me like nothing else, you should KILL yourself for DARING to post it!

Dumb Aqua poster

Well out of all trash girls, she manages to be the best somehow.

You might want to rethink your life, my man

Even the meme explosion girl is better, silly Aqua-fag

every alpha man has died serving based napoleon and since then france had a shortage of decent genepool of strong males

Cue the pedo. Great crowd here tonight folks!

Same goes for you. Anyways she probably has the tism.

In 1871 (Franco-Prussian war) the Prussian armies were far better than anyone else’s due Moltke and his general staff. In WWI they suffered from abysmal conditions and ammunition shortages which dropped morale. There only saving grace was that the were fighting on French soil. In WWII the govt ordered a ceasefire when everyone thought they’d evacuate to Bordeaux.

>Cue the pedo

Imagine being this much of a faggot

This be a Frenchman’s thread. The Japanese have their own

This is our thread now, Frenchie

Aqua has the mental age of a 9 year old, who's the pedo now?

This is your thread

Surely we can make room for the most anime of French princesses, madame Marie-Thérèse Bourbon de France.

>Her stay in the Temple Tower was one of solitude and often great boredom.[16] The two books she had, the famous prayer book by the name of The Imitation of Christ and Voyages by La Harpe, were read over and over, so much so that she grew tired of them. But her appeal for more books was denied by government officials, and many other requests were frequently refused, while she often had to endure listening to her brother's cries and screams whenever he was beaten.[16] On 11 May, Robespierre visited Marie-Thérèse, but there is no record of the conversation. During her imprisonment, Marie-Thérèse was never told what had happened to her family. All she knew was that her father was dead. The following words were scratched on the wall of her room in the tower:
>Marie-Thérèse Charlotte is the most unhappy person in the world. She can obtain no news of her mother; nor be reunited to her, though she has asked it a thousand times. Live, my good mother! whom I love well, but of whom I can hear no tidings. O my father! watch over me from Heaven above. O my God! forgive those who have made my parents suffer."
>Louis XVIII attempted to steer a middle course between liberals and the Ultra-royalists led by the comte d'Artois. He also attempted to suppress the many men who claimed to be Marie Thérèse's long-lost younger brother, Louis XVII. These claimants caused the princess a good deal of distress.
>Marie-Thérèse found her return emotionally draining and she was distrustful of the many Frenchmen who had supported either the Republic or Napoleon. She visited the site where her brother had died, and the Madeleine Cemetery where her parents were buried. The royal remains were exhumed on 18 January 1815 and re-interred in Saint-Denis Basilica, the royal necropolis of France, on 21 January 1815, the 22nd anniversary of Louis XVI's execution.

>>In March 1815, Napoléon returned to France and rapidly began to gain supporters and raised an army in the period known as the Hundred Days. Louis XVIII fled France, but Marie-Thérèse, who was in Bordeaux at the time, attempted to rally the local troops. The troops agreed to defend her but not to cause a civil war with Napoléon's troops. Marie-Thérèse stayed in Bordeaux despite Napoléon's orders for her to be arrested when his army arrived. Believing her cause was lost, and to spare Bordeaux senseless destruction, she finally agreed to leave. Her actions caused Napoléon to remark that she was "the only man in her family."[22]

Actually she's shown to be quite ressourceful so nuh-uh.

Man, the republicans really were a bunch of dickwads

France was in a perpetual conflict between urban, republican Protestants and rural, monarchist Catholics from 1789 up until around 1968ish.

These matters were not helped by the smattering of communists, anarchists, and fascists who were always going around niggering things up in the background.

This political disunity translated into strategic incoherence and terrible civil-military relations, which led to an inability to prosecute a serious military agenda.

This was most obvious during the period of German rearmament, where France averaged a new government every eighteen months at a time when they desperately needed to focus on their foreign relations and defense establishment.

TL;DR Cheese eating surrender monkeys

I hear this a lot, but I don't see how it is true. The problem for France in the 30s was certainly not "strategic incoherence" - they had a very coherent strategy which both the civilian government and the military supported. The problem was, it didn't work.

Also, while most Protestants were republican, most republicans were not Protestant. And the Protestants were not particularly urban either, most lived in the rural South

>Why has the military power of the French been declining so much since Waterloo?
Industrialization kicked in, and France was extremely disadvantaged in mineral resources compared to Britain and Germany/Prussia. Slower, costlier industrialization meant not only a loss in military potential, but also a much slower demographic growth. Britain's population literally triplicated in the 19th century, whereas France only gained like 20%. This had large effects on both economy and military potential.

France didn't have any significant protestant population or politic force since early 1700s.