Why is My Lai massacre a household name, but Hue is practically unheard of?

Why is My Lai massacre a household name, but Hue is practically unheard of?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Huế
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

White people care about their own honor, not other people's.

The Mai Lai massacre stained American honor, Hue was just gooks killing gooks.

anything that doesn't fit into a liberal anti-american narrative dies. History departments everywhere are controlled by marxist pansexual faggots

Most of the massacre at Hue resulted from U.S. artillery and airstrikes. Maybe 15% of civilian casualties were committed by NVA and/or PLA

White people have the agency required to know better. PoC are not as privileged.

I'm guessing because Hue was also a major battle, so someone hearing "massacre at Hue" just assumes it's the battle.

Just a guess.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Huế

you have to look at it from a contemporary perspective
the official rhetoric about Vietnam was "we the good guys, we free world". this goes back to WWII.
now, after WWII, the US highlighted German atrocities to an immense degree. meanwhile, very little was known about shit like American troops collecting Japanese skulls, or Basketball-Americans going ape in Italy (funnily enough, Moroccans fighting for France did the same)

so when the My Lai story broke, it was a huge blow to American moral righteousness. mix that in with the contemporary phenomenon in which people were becoming disillusioned with the government (Agent Orange, the very fact of involvement in 'nam for no clearly right purpose, then Watergate), and it becomes an important part of a narrative

oh, and press coverage played a big role in making people know it
this is why Abu Ghraib became infamous while the numerous war crimes in Afghanistan, or the massacre of Korean-refugees-believed-to-be-Nork-infiltrators, are largely unheard of

FPBP

>PLA

If you're gonna spout bullshit, you could at least use the right acronym

I learned about it in HS...had an entire unit in my Sophomore history class on the various massacres of the Vietnam War.

Then again, I had a very bipartisan teacher, and uh... yeah. Comme ci, comme ca.

People of color killing each other is nothing special, happens all the time.

I believe that is the correct acronym for that year. it changed a lot. The Chief of police of hue is one of the sources of this post, along with other civilian observers in Hue. Few of the bodies had any sign being executed. Most were in pieces, as from high explosives.

As for those who were clearly executed, it is difficult to determine who did the executing. Many old scores (and there were a lot of those) were settled by all concerned in the fog of war.

Because it doesn't further the agenda

This as well, to a certain extent. Americans back in the 60s were extremely naive. It was genuinely shocking to most people that American soldiers would do this. As you say, the last war Americans had had any real interest in was WW2, where America were the Good Guys and the enemy were the Bad Guys. The late sixties was the time when the generation who were children during WW2 came of age, and needless to say when all your media concerning other countries was propaganda you don't grow up with the most sophisticated political opinions. Americans went into Vietnam with the assumption that they would go over there and kick ass because US marines are awesome. They naturally didn't deal with the realities of war as well as the generation that had just gone through the great depression did.

Because it's a drop in the bucket compared to u.s. atrocities.

The better question is why My Lai is a household name, when in the Quang Ngai province alone, there had already been four similar massacres by the u.s.

The narrative exceptionalizes My Lai to gloss over the fact that these massacres were a matter of policy, not just some grunts or jarheads that lost their cool.

because American media is infected with communist sympathizers

>quoting some guy from a cambodian brickmaking imageboard as if his opinion is the final say on vietnam
nice
there's 1 line that trumps the 4 he wrote there:
- what the fuck is america doing invading a foreign country

>Invading
They were invited.

Oh, like how the Soviet Union was invited by the government of Afghanistan in the 1980s?

I mean, they were. The U.S. didn't invade anything until Nixon and even then it was only Laos.

everyone died of laughter

>Brings up the "fake of My Lai" and mentions a more worthy event during the war but doesn't feel sorry for those killed by commie scum.
I'm sorry but, too bad sooooooooo sad. If these gook cucks in My Lai didn't want to cause trouble, they would GTFO and let our boys do their job. But no, "women and children" stayed behind to cause trouble. So fuck them. 6,000 civies killed by the commies is more a tragedy compared to the alleged "fake of My Lai". Just like the "Fake of Nanking".

So then you don't think the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan either, right, because they were invited by the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan?

They didn't. It's only considered as such due to western perception of the conflict. It realistically should be called the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan.

The south Vietnamese government invited the Americans to Vietnam in order to help them deal with communism and bring back the Vietnamese Republic.

The south Vietnam government needed help from U.S.A to remake the 1949 to 1955 State of Vietnam but without French control.

>americans
>white
Hmmm...