What did people wipe their asses with before the invention of toilet paper?

What did people wipe their asses with before the invention of toilet paper?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_stick
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Romans wiped with salty moist towels wrapped around sticks.

In some places people wipe with their left hands (then wash these with water and soap).

stick with sponge on the end.

Hands+water like they still do in muslim countries

Did wiping with your left hand have anything to do with the negative reputation of left-handedness?

It’s why offering your left hand to shake with is considered rude

I think it's the other way around

Shit stick(it's also an insult to faggot in Chinese, very suitable.)

Vikings used moss.

Newspapers
Toilet paper is relatively modern

Rabelais in the 16th CE said that "there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs"

More like water and some type of tissue/cloth in hand.

>Toilet paper
>modern
It's invented and used by Chinese since 6th century.

Does anyone else's head immediately go to that German gladiator described by a Roman historian who committed suicide by driving one of these down his throat? Really, just me?

round stones

with your knife, it´s tricky but you learn

I heard that Pharohs had special slaves just for wiping their asses

The Koran tells people to use "5 smooth stones".

ancient greeks used potsherds

kek
does that make the use of toiletpaper haram?

The firs ascribed used of paper of wiping your butt is in the 500s AD, in China.

Purpose built toilet paper also showed up in China. During the 1300s.

In Arab countries touching a person with your left hand is considered very rude.

How do you guys process and understand things? That was back when there was no such thing as toilet paper. Doesn't mean Muslims still have to use stones to this day JUST BECAUSE THE QURAN SAYS SO

>not using the three seashells
Savages I tell you

Up in the Hills, they'd hang a copy of last year's almanac in the outhouse. it was a handy collection of papar sheets, and when the year was over, it was, pretty uniquely, a book that had no real value and no reason to keep.

Before the 1880s most people here (Eastern USA) used newspaper.

Leaves?

Sponge > Moss > Animal organs > Moist towel > Hands and water

Interestingly, the Anglo-Saxons had the same custom of using the left had when washing the "dirty" part of the body (basically below the waist) and using only the right hand for shaking hands or taking food.

>disobeying the word of Allah just for the sake of a modern convenience
disgusting

They 't shave their buttholes aswell so they just used their hairy asses to clump the shit together and then throw it at each other :D

wet cloth and sheep wool

Thank you allah

>toilet paper only
Bunch of savages

The übermensch uses bidet

Aztecs used maize husks and water.

I call bullshit, moss is incredibly fragile and would easily be destroyed within a few years of starting the practice

T*rks

gud article

with
A
FUCKING
LEAF

/out/ pre-Columbus NATIVE AZ to 20th century, used rocks, sticks from branches, no touch shit to hands. No water too precious, use sand or clean desert earth to wash hands and ass.
Much taboo against women handling food, food prep for hunted or gathered foodstuffs.
Woman on menses were separated from the household and community during periods in "blood huts".
Post-menopausal women were valued to keep up the household.
Women on menses were said to have "smell" and the cause weakening destruction of warriors and spiritual powers, their tools and weapons and kit.

With the skin of dead br*ts after war

t. inferior t*rkish race

A rag?

Slaves licked the ass clean.

That's why g*rmans have a scat fetish since their birth. It's lamarkian

Learn better English.

Japanese used to clean their asses with wooden sticks
I really fail to imagine how the fuck they did it

this

Romans used wood sticks with a rag on top. Slavyans used burdock leafs or an water jug.
Arabs and may be Jews used jars with water and hand. Modern Muslims still does same.

What even is this article?

What kind of god would create a creature that has to wipe their own ass?

Theists BTFO

Why didn't people use leaves?

winter

Care to elaborate?

Have you even read the OT, God is a notorious malevolent prankster that loves to fuck with humans.

Wonderful.

Just save them during autumn.

man he was one holy motherfucker

Translation? I can't speak Arabic

>g*rman """""""humour"""""""
>scat related
Fucking krauts

In Swedish, the word for cheating on your wife, vänstra, is derived from the word for left (and literally translates to something like "lefting"), and came about because of this. From what I understand it came about because during meals your wife was seated to your right so that if you touched her up under the table you wouldn't use your left hand. Eventually, the term came to be associated with touching up other men's wives as they were the ones who would naturally be seated to your left and from there it came to be associated with having an affair.

>Does it bother when you have shit in your fur?
>No.

Imagine someone actually saying that out loud every time they took a shit.

Was that level of piety normal in Arabia at that time?

It's copied from the jews. There's a prayer to be said when one goes to the toilet that is virtually identical. Something about "relieving orifices" or so