Who is/are regarded as the best melee combatant/s ever lived?

Who is/are regarded as the best melee combatant/s ever lived?

Other urls found in this thread:

talhoffer.wordpress.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard
headstuff.org/history/jose-pepe-llulla-the-gravedigging-duellist/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Tadakatsu is often referred to as "The Warrior who surpassed Death itself" because he never once suffered a significant wound, despite being the veteran of over 100 battles by the end of his life, and because he was never defeated by another samurai.

Musashi and that one english knight.

Me

I'd say celtic warriors, it's a shame their technology wasn't that good

I can't remember any example in European history, other than William Marshall.
In Asian history, there is Lu Bu and as mentioned, Honda Tadakatsu. Tachibana Muneshige as well, in Japan.

wrong x2

1v1 me irl

William Marshall?

I thought William was regarded as best knight because of his knightly behaviour and whatnot rather than combat prowess?

>Hey armour is actually not for pussies I guess I will use it
>guys he is not wounded after battle is this some kind of black magic

>Lu Bu
Meme. The novel is all fiction.

yeah marshal

People used armour in Japan all the time.

He was famous due to his abilities as a fighter. Both in war and in tournaments.

The other ones also used armor.

>1v1 me irl
You couldn't handle it

Say what you want, but nothing compares to 19th century Prussia/Germany in terms of discipline (ignoring tactics and equipment that were caused by the time they lived in)
I'm not even a wehraboo, but you just can't deny this.

>melee combatant

>I'm not even a wehraboo
Spotted the wehraboo

>Thread about individual skill of known personas
>but muh Prussia
>I'm not even a wehraboo, but you just can't deny this.
Of course you are wehroPrussiaboo mr. 1/64

Our buddy Hans here was a licensed fencing master in 15th century HRE amongst other things he worked as foot soldier, professional judicial duellist, travelling fencing master, military adviser to nobility and author of fencing, wrestling and military arts books. He is legit because he has 36 confirmed judicial duels to his record during his time as hired fighter. that's ritualized 1 on 1 duels to the death with swords or other weapons. Dozen more private duels are alleged to his name. Also some cool stories about being a travelling master, visiting other schools, hunting down fake masters, brawling with half a dozen students at a time and so on, like a samurai flic set in old Europe.

Holy shit dude I'm sorry I didn't know you have such quick feet I take it back

As a newbie HEMAfag I only knew him as 'That dude with the pointy buckler' until now.
Where can I read more about what you wrote? Sounds awesome.

>
>
>

But could he defeat the Chinese Warrior?

the fag probably ran to tell the tale

>how was the battle tadakatsu?
>hard, everyone died, I took sure of that.

talhoffer.wordpress.com

I mean this is really quite something

ah yes, the proud traditional nordic martial arts

>MADA MADA

Richard III
>Accounts note that King Richard fought bravely and ably during this manoeuvre, unhorsing Sir John Cheyne, a well-known jousting champion, killing Henry's standard bearer Sir William Brandon and coming within a sword's length of Henry Tudor before being surrounded by Sir William Stanley's men and killed. The Burgundian chronicler Jean Molinet says that a Welshman struck the death-blow with a halberd while Richard's horse was stuck in the marshy ground. It was said that the blows were so violent that the king's helmet was driven into his skull. The contemporary Welsh poet Guto'r Glyn implies a leading Welsh Lancastrian Rhys ap Thomas, or one of his men, killed the king, writing that he "killed the boar, shaved his head".[151][153][154] The identification in 2013 of King Richard's body shows that the skeleton had 11 wounds, eight of them to the skull, clearly inflicted in battle and suggesting he had lost his helmet. Professor Guy Rutty, from the University of Leicester, said: "The most likely injuries to have caused the king's death are the two to the inferior aspect of the skull—a large sharp force trauma possibly from a sword or staff weapon, such as a halberd or bill, and a penetrating injury from the tip of an edged weapon." The skull showed that a blade had hacked away part of the rear of the skull. Richard III was the last English king to be killed in battle.

What mad movie is this?

Arthur Dayne

Diego García de Paredes. Anyone that knows anything about the dude would agree with me.
The Turks claimed that he killed 200 Janissairs with just an ax and then he defeated France's finest warriors at the same time in a duel launching rocks

Sasaki Kojiro

Depends largely on where the people you ask are from, and even then you'll get all kinds of answers ranging from Guan Yu to that one Danish guy at Stamford Bridge.
Unfortunately you'll never get an objective answer, since we can't grab every notable fighter throughout history and put them in a giant tournament where we get to see duels between Musashi and Fiore or whatever.

He's basically a fictional character

>I can't remember any example in European history, other than William Marshall.
As usual, anglos will anglo.

>Nip fedora tipper
>Beating literal giants that cpuld kill people with one punch
Lmao this delusion. Obviously the best melee fighters were always physical freaks. Claiming that some spineless soy boy chink had a chance against any of them is pathetic

The Romans were shorter than pretty much anyone they fought with. I believe they did alright in that "melee war" thing.

he could have been like 6.1 and ripped you don't know

Fuck off wehraboo

The Romans had better artillery,range weapons and usually better melee weapons. On top of that short=/= soy boy. Tyson was 5'10 for example. The thing is that chinks and all their offshots are soy boys with the body and strenght of children

No because the Romans feared the Chinese Warrior, that's why they never conquered it. Checkmate

The core of Roman success was in their heavy infantry, but whatever. It is not worth discussing with you.

>Roman metalwork,equipment and training against people with worse technology is meant to prove that some soy boy chink could bet literal 6'10 giants of pure muscle that could wear 200 pounds of armor and carry 100 pound swords
Stop your delusion chink. Your lady boys would have no chance against any of Europe's finest

Not him, but are you retarded?
>The Romans were shorter than pretty much anyone they fought with. I believe they did alright in that "melee war" thing.
It's beyond stupid.

You have to go back, soycuck.

Yes, yes, I'm sure there were people wearing 200 pounds of armor and 100 pound swords.

Explain.

Not every country is full of soy boys champ

its true legionaries were pretty short as far as it goes not midgets but still pretty short on average

>Since we can't get any notable fighter in history and put them in a giant tournament

Shame, I'd pay a very nice amount to see that.

A pittance compared to what HEMAfags would pay for lessons from Liechtenauer and friends.

Pic related defeated 100 mercenaries in one battle. His hand was cut and so he had an iron prosthetic.
He wielded a sword that was too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough to be called a sword, it was more like a large hunk of iron.

So is this a Berserk meme, or...?

berserk is probably inspired by him.

Guts prosthetic arm is heavily based on Von Berlichen, it's probably why his name is so close to Gotz

>Dude lived durring complete shit in Germany with constant religious wars
>Was a mercenary and a poet
>Wielded a giant sword
>Created iron prostetic arm
He literally is Guts.

Yes.

>Not Knowing about Bayard "le chevalier sans peur et sans reproche".
>Or Grotte Pier.
>Or Diego García de Paredes.

big dave from down the pub

GReat Hektor, Ares, then achilles, then diomedes, then ajax.

Fiore de Libieri
Miyamato Musashi
Itto Ittosai

say that to my face BITCH

Why does this Chinese movie have an m18 hellcat as a japanese tank?

ajax

A phalanx of Spartans, obv.

Musashi life is pretty well documented.

It's ROC Chinese.

Also that's not a Hellcat, it's a Walker Bulldog. Taiwan's army had loads of those. Probably one was roped in for a movie.

This French fuck allegedly fought an entire Spanish infantry troop by himself on a bridge and lived to tell the tale;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terrail,_seigneur_de_Bayard

But the whole 'defeated 100 mercs', 'wielded giant sword' (How giant are we talking about?) stuff?

>like a samurai flic set in old Europe.
is there any such movie? I want to know

Ironclad.

It's literally Seven Samurai transplanted to Medieval England.

It was the duel with the finest Spanish and French knight, inlcuiding bayard? The one with the rocks I mean.

This guy duelled 13 men one after the other, killed 3, forced the other 10 to surrender and this in less than 45 min.

Musashi said himself that the Yagyu were better than him...

>shooting filntstone armed injuns from horseback
wow, what heros.

Negro was deadly, likely the best duel fencer of his century.

There's a French dude during the Italian Wars, can't remember his real name but his nickname translates to "the Good Knight".

Also there's that black French duelist who won an absolutely astounding amount of duels, again I can't remember his name.

The same is told about Diego Garcia de Paredes, both acounts at the same battle, and both seems to be pure bullshit.

Not as many as this guy headstuff.org/history/jose-pepe-llulla-the-gravedigging-duellist/

This dude fought in multiple sieges, duelled and killed more than twenty persons ended up executed at 27.
His son ("le Tapissier de Nôtre-Dame") went up to become of the most successful of Louis XIV's generals.

10/10, would fuck with! No homo!

You guys did a few typos, it's "Guillaume le Maréchal"

whuh bout david & goliath

>Roman metalwork
who came up with this meme user, Roman ferro-metals was substandard until they got a tech transfer from the Celts. Their Bronze was AAA though.

This thread is difficult because writings from these times usually either inflate the deeds of someone or are written by someone who disliked them and tried to make them seem unimportant. Speculating is fun though. It's hard to judge the accuracy of source material from 500 years ago and unlikely that you faggots are looking at anything much further than wikipedia. It's much harder to pretend a lord's army won 50 battles than it is for an upcoming knight/samurai to pretend he's won 50 duels when the reality is only 5.

And then anyone who is successful generally has haters fabricating stories about them, possibly posthumously to avoid gettin kild.

Still if we got some things on paper, this guys here all have confirmed kill records, like records by courts and officials of their time regarding legal or extralegal killings.

It is the duel of Barlata.Bayard killed Sotomayor so the Spanish soldiers asked Bayards head and the Spanish and French army decide to solve the problem with a duel between the 11 finest soldiers of each side. Bayard was in the Feench side. The Spanish killed two french knights and the French made one Spanish soldier surrender.Then when the French lost they built a fortress with the death body of the horses and then Garcia de Paredes started to throw giant rocks against them hurting or killing half of them.As the French denied to surrender after 5 hours the captains agreed to spare them for their bravery and technically the Spanish won.So technically Paredes was more impressive than Bayard going by the duel of Barlata alone

>bronze isn't a metal

>Bronze is relevant in the late iron age

So that's why my Honda doesn't die

>hurr people der us iron that menz they dont us coopar anymoar

>iron age is defined by using iron as the main material for weapons and tools
>being good at bronze in iron age means the same as being a good flintcapper in coper age

>moving the goalposts from "Roman metalwork" because it triggers you

>been talking about Roman weapons and military equipment from post 1
>oh user I was talking about little coins and faggy statues, this is so unfair, now I'm losing my stupid argument

In the west probably William Marshall, in the east probably Miyamoto Musashi.
If they both fought my money would be on the heavy armored giant.

>In the west probably William Marshall,
Most people in Europe don't even know this guy, must be some Anglo thing then.

No suprise most people in Europe are just as retarded as Anglos.

>on his deathbed he recalled besting 500 knights during his tourneying career.
>500
>Including sparring partners(thats most of them)
All he get, is having good taste in weapons and armor.
There exists far better in actual Europa, like the guy that BTFO by a cannon in his first real warfare.

It makes me happy to see that Varg is still as dumb as ever.

>sparring partners
You should read up on the early tourneys. Shit could get pretty intense. The church had laws against christian burial for those killed in them.

His career also lasted a long ass time. He died in his seventies(he was still fighting). He went from a knight without a horse to the regent of England.

It's always entertaining.

reminds me of Tlahuicole

>Every spring the Aztecs used to organize "gladiatorial" combats between their highest military ranks and the enemy elite warriors and commanders who were captured in battle. As part of the festival, nobles from all Mesoamerica were invited to witness these combats.
>Nevertheless, only the Aztec warrior fought with an edged weapon and his movement wasn't limited by being attached to the sacrificial stone. The combat was over when the Aztec warrior was unconcious or when he managed to make his foe bleed enough to keep him from moving. Usually the first combatant for the captured warrior would be his captor and if the captured warrior was victorious he would face several other contenders. According to Bernardino de Sahagún, the number of Aztec warriors increased with each victory and there was up to four at the same time.
>A famous Tlaxcaltec warrior, Tlahuicole, prefered to die in gladiatorial combat than return to his country as a spared man. He finally met the sacrificial stone after killing 8 warriors and defeating 20 more.