Nutrition for noob gainz

I started lifting last week.I have decent knowledge of exercises and form, and have done it before so no issue there.

Started at 163.2lbs and 158% bf.

I am now at 163.2lbs (yes that's correct) and 15.4% bf.

This equates to roughly 0.7lbs of fat replaced by muscle.

I consume 2600 calories a day at 6.0ft tall.

Are these good results as far as muscle building goes or should I up my calorie intake ? Sticky sais gaining a pound per week.

I find it easier to eat fats than carbs. Currently I eat 25% calories from fats, how much higher can I go without adverse effect ?

I'm considering the purchase of supplements. If you hit your macros without, how efficient is a protein powder formula ? Does it complement your diet through micros or others ? What about creatine ? Amino Acids ?

What's the deal with fiber ? I hear it's important but so far the only reason i've found it is because it's "filling". What are some other micros i need to watch out for ?

Lastly, on other matters,

I cannot find a consensus for how often ab work should be done. What does Veeky Forums think ? Answers range from every day to like any muscle group.

How far into working out should i worry about isolation for glutes ? Current leg routine is Squat 5*10 + Hamstring curl 5*10 + Calf raises 5*10.

Thanks so much for any information that you can provide.

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>158%
Jabba da hutt mode.

S-Senpais, please notice this thread

How exactly did you measure the 0.4% bf change ? Before you say "electronic body fat monitor", just stop. Unless if you get your body fat measured by a doctor, it's almost impossible to get any form of accuracy out of those pieces of shit. Ditch the monitor and get calipers.

Also, stop expecting results weekly, especially if you're not roiding. You should be estimating your results every two-three months and adjusting your parameters for your diet every week or so

At 15.4% bf 163lbs 6', you should cut till you hit about 10% bf and start bulking. It's entirely possible through noob gains to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Make sure to count your calories but especially your macros (I cant stress this enough, counting calories is pointless without a good macro split)

Make sure you get around 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN muscle in your body.

For a cut, eat around 2100 cals. For a bulk, try around 3000 or so. Supplements can help meeting your macro/calorie quota, but it's always preferred to get your macros through solid foods. If you find it hard to bulk because of how much you eat, try snacking on peanut butter, nuts, avocados, milk, or any other calorie heavy food.

Essentially, you want to be doing cut-bulk cycles. Cut till 10%, bulk till 15% (Ideally, the mass gained will be 50/50 fat muscle and the mass lost will be exclusively fat).

Fiber is a type of carbohydrate that helps with bowel movement. I'm currently on a cut and havent had any oats in a while (Exclusively eating eggs for breakfast) and I cant tell you how much I miss the ease of taking a shit after a bowl of oats

Dont worry about ab work, do your compounds and your abs will follow
Don't isolate anything as far as being beginner goes, go for strength gains. I suggest reading Starting Strength and following everything on there (Aside from the nutrition advice). Do your deadlifts and squats while aiming for strength gains and hypertrophy will follow

>I started lifting last week
>Gains where!
Fuck off

fiber is a essentially a tool to control the rate at which your body digests food

soluble fiber slows down digestion time, which means more energy for an extended period of time and a slower rise in blood sugar.

insoluble fiber speeds up digestion, on the other hand. it will also make you shit sooner.

a combo of the two is also essential for healthy shits. oats contain a 1:1 ratio of each; fruits contain mostly oluble fiber, and vegetables contain mostly insoluble fiber. most foods with fiber contain both types, but are generally dominant in one or the other.

if i eat my pre-workout meal within 20-30 minutes of lifting, i like to choose something like a CLIF bar with a decent amount of sugar and insoluble fiber, but a little bit of soluble fiber. if within 1-2 hours, i prefer carbs with mostly soluble fiber (they're marketed as intra-workout snacks for endurance athletes like runners/bikers for a reason) and less sugar (or oats + sugar + an egg as fat is also slowly digested).

That's how I did it yeah, thanks for the info.

I'm doing a PPL split, hitting all compound lifts. It's more volume so i suppose it's better. But, since I'm a beginner I'm struggling to do OHP and Bench presses the same day so I shifted shoulder and arm work to make a PPPL routine.
SS much better if i'm willing to put in the volume ?
fuck off retard, i don't have expectations just asking about what progress should look like.

>(they're marketed as intra-workout snacks for endurance athletes like runners/bikers for a reason)

ooops, i spliced this bit in after i wrote the post. this was in reference to the CLIF bar.

Also, I do track macros.
Should I stay on 2600 for noob gains or go straight on that cut ?

What happens if i go overboard on fats instead of carbs, and vice versa ?

Dont do a PPL as a beginner. Do a beginner routine. There's a reason why PPL is an intermediate routine and not a beginner routine. You need something you can make linear strength gains on and a PPL routine has far too much accessory to be efficient. At the worst, do SL 5x5 with a linear progression. Dont bother yourself with doing any form of accessory or isolation workout because as of right now, they are useless. Stick to your five main compounds and stall out on your linear progression before anything else. Add about 5 lbs a week for upper body and 10 lbs a week for lower body

btw noob gains refers to the CNS adjusting to the weight, you can actually make noob gains on a calorie deficit

CNS huh
So no hypertrophy there ?

What about effective strength gains?

dont listen to this faggot, theres no reason to gimp yourself by doing a faggot beginner routine, when you can jump straight into a PPL and reap the rewards of a hypertrophy routine. If your goals are strength, sure go for ss or sl or whatever, but hypertrophy requires volume and frequency, and a ppl done twice a week (i.e. pplxpplx) is fantastic.

It's up to you, but any time you spend in maintenance you could be spending making noob gains while also burning body fat on a cut.
Going overboard on fats instead of carbs will lead to you bloating without the energy to show for it. It doesnt mean you should suppress fats out of your diet either. They are essential but you never wanna get more than 20-25% of your intake from fats. Also, always aim for healthy fat sources : olive/coconut oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil, avocado. I'm no nutrition expert and most of this stuff I get from my brother who has a bachelor with a minor in this stuff, but carbs and fats both will create unhealthy body tissue (i.e fat) with different consistencies with carbs fat burning more easily as energy while fats fat being much harder to get rid of. There are also a number of positives to eating carbs such as getting appropriate amounts of fiber, as well as somehow helping you build muscle. Not to mention they keep your body stocked up with energy. In general, you want to be getting 40-60% of your intake from carbs, 20-40% from proteins and 10-25% from fats

I guess I'll switch to SS.

But could you elaborate on why isolations are useless to a beginner ?

What about the rep range ? why start with strength (low rep range), when you can focus on hypertrophy immediately (medium rep range) ?

OP here Point taken, thank you.

So the point you're making it, is my noob-gainz won't (/will hardly) be gimped if drop my caloric intake from 2600-2100 ?

Interesting on the fat. It's a hard thing to avoid though. A bit of nuts or cheese and one is done for the day. Fat intake, even good ones, is what really shapes my diet.

>using ad hominem as a way to discredit someone's online opinion
>on a catalonian Theravada buddhist mantra exchange virtual communal cartoon board
>in 2016 Anus Domino's
Jumping straight into a routine as hypertrophy oriented as PPL as a beginner when you dont even have the strength foundation to perform a compound at a decent level is a recipe for disaster. Focus on your compounds first and when you stall out, you can add accessory work to your routine. Also, making hypertrophy the main focus of your workout is one of the stupidest things you can do. Even if your goal is to look decent, only three things should matter to you : your lifts, your bodyfat percentage, and your weight. If you notice any imbalance in your muscle distribution, then you can work on it as it comes. But focusing on hypertrophy is shooting yourself in the leg, unless if you're a /fraud/ fuccboi

I'm all ears. I'm inferring the worst that can realistically happen is muscle imbalances, but could you elaborate on shooting myself in the leg ? this is good stuff

There is absolutely no reason to isolate anything whatsoever as a beginner as it will add volume that will further exhaust the muscle and might spill out onto your future workouts and some compounds. Once again, unless you're stalled out strength-wise on a linear progression, there is absolutely no reason to add volume. Isolating an untrained muscle results in nothing more than over-training

For strength, your rep range should be something around 3x5 to 5x5. Focusing on hypertrophy immediately will bring virtually no strength gains with it. Here's the gist of it: the heavier you lift, the bigger you will be. However, focusing on hypertrophy will mean you'll stay stuck on the same babby weight forever. Focusing on strength will mean that as you make linear progress and eventually stall out, you can drop back down to one of your milestones (which will be scores heavier than the babby weight you could have immediately dove in) and work for hypertrophy. Once again, lifting heavier = being bigger. Lifting heavier in hypertrophy is a byproduct of strength training, whereas training for hypertrophy with weights that are way below your body's own ability will bring minimal results. Crawl, walk, run

> 158% bf

How many sets should I aim for ?

The amount of sets this recommends seems ludicrous to me.
muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

I see here that scooby sais TDEE +20% for caloric intake. Should I follow that then ?

One set of DLs ?

central nervous system, adapting to the motions and the repetition of the weight. more brain than muscle, basically. this is why noobs gain strength very quickly. some hypertrophy is also to be expected obviously, but the quick strength gains will eventually fall off once your body is used to lifting.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but working out less is sometimes better than doing a full split with 20 sets of 500 reps. Keep in my mind that 3x5 does not include the 3-4 sets you do prior to the working sets which will be warmup sets. You progressively work yourself up to your working sets and linearly add weight to your working sets on every workout. It may not seem like that much, but as long as you're making strength gains (no matter how little), keep going
Since you're cutting, do a TDEE -20% for cal intake. You can lose 1-2 lbs of fat a week with little repercussion on your LBM as long as you eat enough protein and keep your muscles stimulated.

I suppose the CNS is responsible for the nausea on the heavy lifts, which has been limiting my stamina.

2100 calories it is then, until 10%.

One more question, my I have very short hamstrings which I am currently in the process of stretching. In the meantime I can't grab the bar on the ground while keeping my spine in neutral position. When I DL i only lower it about to below my knees. is this the reason it doesn't feel like it works my upper back at all ?

When DLing, you shouldn't feel any strain on your upper body whatsoever (aside from your forearms and hands, of course). If you do, you have improper form. Also, in regard to your other question, the starting position for each rep should be with the bar on the floor (Unless if you're doing stiff legged DLs).

How exactly are you unable to keep your spine neutral when you grab the bar ? Do you bend your knees ?
Pic related is how proper DL form should look. If your arms are not long enough, it's okay to bend your knees a little more, but try to remain above parallel. When DLing, make sure that the bar travels a vertical line rather than an arc (This means start with the bar directly above your feet rather than a foot in front of them).
To further correct your form, make sure you're not using any shoes with heels on them (I DL barefoot nowadays) and push with your heels on the floor rather than pull with your back. You should feel a strain on your hamstrings and your glutes, and possibly your hips as well.