Thoughts on CrossFit?

I am planning on joining my local CrossFit joint...

If I am a noob, will I die? (I am a former athlete - emphasis on FORMER.. haven't done nothing except sit and eat ish for the past 5 years)

Does it really help in losing weight that much?
(I will have everyday 1h at evening regime)

How long until I see results? (I am 15 kg/33lbs overweight female)

And in the end, is it worth it? (time, money, torture)

Other urls found in this thread:

66.media.tumblr.com/64ffb97bdb45356b5d2716c629b1531e/tumblr_mz5domOwFt1tnv3puo1_500.gif
mytdee.com/#gender=female&yr=26&cm=175.3&kg=84.4&bfp=&goal=lose&goal_kg=64.9&lose_speed=aggressive&formula=standard&units=imperial&exercise=lightly
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4555591/#!po=80.1587
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you will have loads of fun, get in shape, and hopefully avoid severing your spinal cord.

Tits or gtfo

here ya go buddy... 66.media.tumblr.com/64ffb97bdb45356b5d2716c629b1531e/tumblr_mz5domOwFt1tnv3puo1_500.gif

tnx... :)
is there a high risk of injury? :O

yes, because its totally random movements with bad form, over seen by trainers who got their trainer's badge with a 5 hour course.

Throw in some weird props and heavy weights and what could possibly go wrong.

>CrossFit

>crossfit
One way ticket to snap city

A lot of people have "fun" doing Crossfit, it's a huge meme right now so people enjoy being with a group and getting cheered on and basic competition so it's hugely popular.

There is a massive risk of injury. Just look up how many people are paralyzed or otherwise badly injured from Crossfit. It's infinitely more dangerous than a simple diet/cardio regimin, with no added benefit. "Functional strength" is a lie.

Do it if you want, most people are to lazy to do the work needed t research proper diet and exercise so they just jump on the latest fitness bandwagon. I sincerely hope you don't get badly injured.

Make sure whoever is running that box knows what the hell they're doing.

There's some great Crossfit coaches but there's also a lot of them who aren't qualified to herd sheep let alone train people.

oh wow, that sounds.... awful.

I have started a 1200kcal diet and have been a good girl by sticking to it for a moth now, and have been exercising half an hour a day, but I don't see ANY progress (4kg go up and down when ever I measure myself on a scale)...

That is why I thought I should maybe start with something more extreme and socially obligating. haha although the whole cheering thing is annoying imho

//thank you all for your inputs

>Crossfit has so many injuries that they have a mascot for it

hahahah oh boyyy

1200 is too low if you want to get in shape.
Eat at TDEE-500 and lift heavy things 3 times a week.
Throw in a 4x4 interval 2-3 times a week too for the cardio side of things.
As a grill you wont go arnold mode whatever you do unless you juice up so dont be afraid of heavy weightlifting.

mytdee.com/#gender=female&yr=26&cm=175.3&kg=84.4&bfp=&goal=lose&goal_kg=64.9&lose_speed=aggressive&formula=standard&units=imperial&exercise=lightly

here, it says 1500 recommended... but just in case i cut 300 more (if the exercises I do aren't good enough)

Thank you for your advice, I'll look into it and def try it out

>muh high risk injury

The injury rate is just as high as Powerlifting, Weightlifting or Gymnastics.

So in the 20% range.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4555591/#!po=80.1587

As for the OP, find a box with good coaches, especially when it comes down to skills like weightlifting and gymnastics, you get good at them, couple that with a good endurance and work capacity and you'll be a good Crossfitter. Throw in some hypertrophy work here and there at the end of your sessions.

I'm not defending Crossfit, because it is in fact, goofy and counter-productive. But the notion that it's more dangerous than similar sports is incorrect.

Powerlifting, 20% injury rate
Crossfit: about a 20% injury rate

We don't have to spout off a bunch of nonsense to point people in the right direction.

I love how people pick on Chris Spealler out of any other crossfitter while he's one of the strongest out there.

Btw, he strict pulled a BW+50kg chest to bar during the 2011 games.

go to bed Chris...im sure you have to kippling to get into that too

That study is pulling its comparison of injury rates from two very disparate groups and using two different definitions to determine the comparative injury rates.

After I clean your diddly

Explain, I don't see your point

I never understood keppling. Why not just increase your strength so you can do a pull up without flailing like a fucking fish out of water

Don't pay for it just do the exercises on your own shit.

It's just supersets of random lifts.

Cause that's not a purpose in a Crossfit Event that includes pullups for time, the only rules are chin over the bar and arms locked out in the bottom.

Doesn't mean that they can't lift mad loads in strict pullups.

The sample group for crossfitters? Random (mostly recreational level) exercisers, reporting on whether they'd been significantly injured in the last six months.

The sample group for power/weight lifting? Elite-level lifters, answering whether they'd been injured at all in their training.

Those are not analogous groups.

so people who cant do pullups can brag about how many they do on facebook and instagram.

Doesn't change anything
I thought that beginners were even more injury prone

This sounds like a typical crossfitter excuse

This is much closer to the truth.

Literally saw a '17 year old girl' who could 'beat athletes' who does crossfit. Her fucking push up form was retarded, it was like she was kippling while push-up ing

Two cases of rhabdo on my ward in the last month because of fucking crossfit.

Your tax dollars at work.

For minor issues, yes. But those aren't being checked in the poll.

For significant injures, elite lifters are far more prone to it due to the training load. To the point that a lot of the time a PR total is just a matter of somehow making it through the training cycle without getting hurt.

Turns out the CFers were "athlete-level" not just random recreational joes.

>In our study, we found the overall injury rate in CrossFit was approximately 20%. This injury rate was gathered only from athlete-level collection

Excuse or not, doesn't change that they'll beat anyone here on strict pull-ups :)

Kek, sure thing cardiobunnie

Are you sure about that? Reading it for myself, I see nowhere where they defined the criteria for an "athlete-level" participant. The authors use the word "athlete" as a general term to describe any crossfitter, regardless of experience level. You will notice the line "The majority [of study participants] had been involved with CrossFit for 0 to 6 months."

Can you pull 130lbs strict chest to bar?

Nah you can't

Brb working on my kip

Page 33.

>anyone on Veeky Forums actually defending crossfit

This board is dead.

You'll notice that they never defined 'athlete level' beyond 'trains with a coach' and no-one was dropped from the study for not being strong/fit enough (indeed, the survey itself implies they'd be accepting people with a 50lb deadlift for the data).

sorry about your height :(

>So like 65kg.

Indeed I can buddy

It's actually 6'1" I just happen to have DL genetics.
Long limbs. Short torso.

???
I must not be reading the same thing you are.

>thinking that's impressive

Na you can't

Why ask then? I'm sure you're proud of that number, everyone has to start somewhere

How do you feel about being weaker than a cardiobunny bby grill

if you want to waste your time, just post on Veeky Forums

sure ya are buddy

hahaha yeah I can pull 130lbs just about any way. You're not even fucking lmao 1pl8.

why do you have no triceps?

I'm talking your bodyweight plus 130 lbs
Weakling.

Do it. You'll like it and you'll get in shape. If you're nervous or unsure about a particular exercise don't do it or do very light weight until you get practice and feel comfortable with the form.

Shit at pressing

This seems like a vicious cycle.

Or maybe I just avoid it as much as possible, haven't strict pressed in months cause I know I'm shit at it

hahahah oh god, you're actually serious? What the fuck else would you be talking about retard? Your body weight only?

Can't hear you over my level of fitness and athletic work capacity

You have the capacity of a double A battery that needs to be powering your hearing aid.

>not realizing you can get similar results from 3 days of compound lifting, 1 day of steady state cardio, and 2 conditioning workouts a week, with none of the randomness or muscular imbalances

That about what the actual training of a serious crossfitter is.
4 times a week weightlifting
2 times a week Gymnastics
2-3 times a week conditioning depending on the person

>is there a high risk of injury? :O

There is a risk and it is unnecessarily high. I would just stick with a normal exercise routine. Crossfit is a gimmick for slow-witted people with no serious interest in fitness. Better to avoid that crowd of dingbats.

Also depending on where you are in the season. People are finally starting to realise that trying to be in comp prep training year round is just sabotaging progress.

That's also completely different from a lot of boxes where you will just randomly do wods and decapitate yourself doing oly lifts for time. There are plenty of outlaw boxes I think are fine, it's just that beginners cannot really differentiate between serious boxes and places that solely exist to rip them off.

>crossfit athlete
>jumbo shrimp
>military intelligence

Sure

Exactly, right now I'm at a stage where I'm only lacking a few things gymnastics wise along with a few goals I want to achieve (like a 170 weighted dips on the rings for absolutely no reason)

So I'm focusing more on weightlifting, especially Snatches cause mine are horrible.
Dropped Deadlifts cause I know I can walk in any day and pull 440 at least off the floor.

I think that by now most boxes are realising what the problem.is with beginners, most of them offer induction/foundation courses that aim at actually teaching the basics for an amount of time (the The Press, push press, jerks, cleans, snatches, pullups strict and kipped etc) before allowing them to partake in other activities.