When do you use mixed grip on deadlift?

Is it true that doing mixed grip deadlifts can cause muscular imbalances?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't see why it wouldn't cause a muscular imbalance, since you're using different muscles depending on your grip.

But if you alternate the grip every lift or every session, it should balance out.

By alternate I mean set A - right palm in, left palm out. Set B - right palm out, left palm in.

>When do you use mixed grip on deadlift?
Whenever I need to.
>Is it true that doing mixed grip deadlifts can cause muscular imbalances?
No, complete meme.

I deadlifted for 6 months with over left under right. My right trap is a lot smaller

>muscular imbalance is a meme

Feel it for yourself, numbnut. Grab the bar with one palm in and one palm out and pull. Don't lift it, just pull. You should feel various muscles tightening. Now reverse your grip and pull again, You'll feel different muscles tightening. What else do you need to know?

I mixed grip for two years and no muscle imbalances here

i know i must have a muscle imbalance because i can lift at least 20lbs more (left over/right under) with mixed grip than 2 overhand grips, i just can't see it.

Should I just use straps and not risk it?

No you retard, straps are for people who aren't willing to build the necessary grip strength.

Maybe you had bad posture in the first place, and either way, it'll even out quickly. Especially as you advance and do a lot more light deadlift variations instead of near max all the time.
I'm sure it does have slight differences, but it's so insignificant that it's IMHO not worth thinking about in the slightest.

Never. Just develop grip strength instead of risking an injury that will require rest for several months. Hell just take several months off right now and improve your grip instead of waiting to get injured

You don't have to worry about it, just alternate your grip and you'll eliminate any risk of muscle imbalance. It ain't hard.

On my last sets. The grip is better and I don't wear gloves so they're perfect when I have to go hard.
But I'm always scared for my biceps.

>bicep tears the thread

Honestly, you won't even need that.

is this a meme

I switched to mixed grip just two workouts ago when my grip started giving in

There's a very, very slight chance of tearing a bicep which increases exponentially if you do it incorrectly. If you want a competition legal and "safe" option you need to learn hook grip, in which case I hope you don't mind less thumb dexterity and deadened nerves.

Never alternating may only lead to a minor imbalance, but there's still no reason to do so when all you have to do is alternate your grip.

If you find that difficult to do, if one grip is harder than the other, then you already have a muscle imbalance. It's normal to have a slight muscular imbalance, most people's right arm is somewhat stronger than their left. But if you're lifting regular and heavy then you should be aware of this shit, whether your goal is strength or aesthetics.

Again, it doesn't take some great effort to prevent it. Just alternate your grip by lift or set, or even session. Whatever is easiest for you, makes no significant difference.

No thank you, I'm perfectly content DLing 240kg without having ever alternated my grip.

Good luck!

youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw

You pull 240 DOH no hook? Bretty impressive.

what the FUCK

how do I avoid this

are my biceps ever safe?

Suit yourself man.

Alternating or not, it ain't gonna limit your gains unless you were already fairly imbalanced. Take a tiny bit more awareness, but that's the only cost. It really ain't a big deal.

double overhand and if the shit is slippery hook grip brehs. it's not rocket science.

Yeah in all the deadlifts it was the underhand

Thread is about alternating your hook grip.

You won't notice any significant imbalances unless you do almost no other back work

If hook grip affected your muscle imbalances it would have been on your lats, not your traps.

I don't have any info on it man. I just saw an injury compilation on Youtube and every biceps tear I saw on that video was because of deadlifting with mixed grip.

I don't even feel like my biceps is getting pushed to a limit or even getting more worked on. But I'm still scared about.

Or biceps even

No I pull mixed grip, could only pull maybe a little over 4pl8 DOH.
It really is not a problem, a novice might develop a slight imbalance since he'd only be doing one kind of heavy deadlift to build capacity, but as your training becomes more complex it evens out, due to all the dead variations.

Also choose not to alternate, because I want my pull to be EXACTLY the same every time I pull heavy.

Disregard I am unable to read

As someone whos used mixed grip for the past 3years on DLs over 100kgs i can confirm that yes it does.

Like I said man it probably won't ever develop into a significant imbalance. Probably won't even be a big deal.

But if you're interested in maintaining symmetrical strength levels or a symmetrical physique, it's well worth alternating your grip from time to time. Doesn't take any great effort or time investment. Just hold the bar differently during your normal routine. No big deal.

Don't pull it with your arms and you should be ok

why would you pull alternate AND hook grip?

I mean set A - right palm forward, left palm back. Set B - right palm back, left palm forward.

Just alternate the grip for every set bro. It's not rocket science.

If you are worried about muscular imbalances just alternate. However, my take is that if you can't lift it overhand then don't. You grip should be strong enough for anything you can lift. That said, I use it only for testing my max weight.

I never do. My 1rm is 445, basically at 315ish and above I just start using straps. No real reason to

Yes. If you have the ability to completely negate even the slightest possibility, why wouldn't you?

The odds of tearing a bicep on a deadlift are about as likely as the strap tearing mid lift.

Both suck about as much as eachother.

I assumed he meant not risk an imbalance, not not risk a bicep tear.

>Do a few warm up sets with Wide double-overhand grip to strengthen forearms
>Pull a few fairly heavy sets with regular DOH grip
>Pull last two sets mixed grip heavy as fuark when my DOH would normally give out.
Best of both worlds. And I haven't torn a bicep yet.