Dips

I tried 5 sets of dips the other day for the first time ever and the next day my shoulders were incredibly sore and tender. I think it might have been my rotator cuff or some shit because they felt awful. Will I get used to the pain or should I stop doing them, or is it that I just don't know proper form?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/dips-youre-doing-them-wrong
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it's just soreness, obviously your shoulders aren't used to it. If it's actual pain, you might want to check your form or just stop doing dips altogether.

bump

Warm up properly next time

Remember I had a similar ache when I first started doing dips. I kept doing dips and it turned out fine though. If it starts getting too painful, stop I say

Check your form.

Are your triceps sore?

No, and I didn't really feel it in my chest (although my chest was sore the next day). Are you just supposed to hang down and push yourself up or are you supposed to lean forward slightly?

what bench do you need to be able to do a bw dip? i can do 2pl8 for 2 reps @ 85kg bw, but never do dips normally. i tried this morning and i thought i was going to destroy my shoulders so i guess my form is just shit?

chest dips:
>set bars to wider setting
>lean forward
>elbows flaring out
>feet crossed

tricep dips:
>set bars to narrower setting
>elbows tucked
>body pretty much straight

I can do 225 for at least 5 reps and can do 70 pound weighted dips for 10 reps at 190 pounds.

I think you just have to go and get used to them. Yesterday I did 10 bodyweight dips after 3 sets of 10 weighted about 30 seconds after I was done and it still hit it hard but that might just be because of the superset.

>>set bars to wider setting
How important is this? My current, new gym (after moving across the US) has a dip station with a fixed width. I've been thinking about adding dips to my routine for my chest.

ok thanks i guess my form is just shit, i'll swallow my pride and do some assisted dips until i'm used to the movement

not very i guess, both versions will hit the chest, shoulders and triceps to some degree.

Dips require good form and very good shoulder mobility. The important thing is that you don't allow your shoulders to glide forward. They must stay back during the entire movement or things get squashed inside the shoulder joint, which is going to hurt more and more over time until it becomes a real injury.
To be able to keep your shoulders back is a technique thing but as mentioned it also requires good mobility. You can test your mobility by placing your hands on a table behind you and then squatting down so your arms get raised behind you. See how far you can come down before your shoulders start gliding forward.

Do NOT try to push through the pain or you'll be in a world of trouble sooner rather than later.

I barely manage to do a little bit more than 1pl8 for 5 reps @ 63kg bw and can do +15 dips

Guess im just not heavy.

make sure your elbows arent flaring out to your sides. let them bend "back" behind you if that makes sense.

can anyone help me with this?
When I do dips (weighted or not) I get a really intense pain in my sternum. When I get the pain it hurts for about 7-10 days after and I just can't do dips at all. This happens all the time.
My forms pretty much perfect and I concentrate to make sure im not going too low, leading wrong etc.

what causes this shit?

are you young by any chance?

i was reading some threads today about doing dips instead of benching and i read a post by rip saying that younger trainees have this problem often. something to do with the muscles in that area being underdeveloped or something.

Nah, I am 26. I can do pretty much every movement fine. It's just dips that cause the pain, it's not a muscular pain but a real deep pain like my sternum is inflamed.

doing anything other than regular dips (in the way your body is comfortable) is just asking for injuries.

t-nation.com/training/dips-youre-doing-them-wrong

"A common trend seen with dips is to alter the angles and mechanics to target the triceps. Unfortunately, altering natural body mechanics is a great way to promote dysfunctional movement patterns and destroy the joints. This is something I refer to as "erroneous muscle targeting" as the lifter has to abandon proper activation patterns in hopes of isolating specific muscles."

>inb4 tnation shit
check the author, it's written by a very knowledgeable guy