Proof that genetics > diet + exercise

Proof that genetics > diet + exercise

What are calories?

are you saying it's harder to eat lots of calories of tempura and fried dumplings and bubble tea than to eat calories of salads and lean chicken and water?

what the fuck are you even thinking when you make a thread like this.

Are you dumb?

So, let me tell you a story, Veeky Forums

I have a friend who is a total skeleton. I'm your typical Veeky Forums-fat; used to be obese, slimmed down through dieting, then packed on some muscle.

I've been friends with skeleman for about 4 years now. We went to uni together, now we also work together. We hang out after work.

He has way less discipline than I do. A LOT less. He even admits to this lifestyle himself. He doesn't want to take responsibility for anything and avoids it whenever. He doesn't have any goals in life, he just wants to not be bothered by anyone and chill all day. I'm pretty sure he has severe ADHD. Last semester at uni, he failed literally all of his classes because he couldn't be arsed to do a single thing throughout the entire semester. Look-wise he is at least an 8/10, but never gets girls because he's too weak-willed to speak to them and/or doesn't want to bother because it's too much effort.

Also, skeleman eats mcdonalds/burger-king literally every single day. Yes, every single day. He doesn't even own any cutlery, because making food is too much effort for him. If he eats anything other than bk/mcd, it's candy.

OTOH, I organize events regularly, take responsibility for important tasks, am in the board/comittee for various organizations/charities/etc. I get girls occasionally, and I've helped other people get motivated to get Veeky Forums.

So clearly, it's not a matter of willpower or discipline, because I have some, skeleman has none. Is it genetics?

What I've realized through observing him, is that it seems that some people (i.e., skeleman.) seem to have a natural ability to feel saturated and to not overeat. Even though skeleman literally stuffs his face with garbage every day, he will actually eat almost exactly at TDEE when looking at it over the course of a week.

OTOH if I "just eat" I will eat probably 200-500kcals over TDEE.

So there's your explanation, OP. It IS about how much you eat, some people just naturally feel appropriately saturated.

>weightlifting

spotted the reason why she's fat

Also, don't worry about skeleman; I drag him to the gym three times a week now, and he's really starting to warm up to it. So 's all good. Maybe one day I will be able to impart to him the value of good nutrition as well.

hurr durr my stupid drawing is proof guys hurr durr

fat women actually believe this

the only requirement for females to be attractive these days is not being fat
they still epicly fail at this

yeah and after that healthy meal the fat white girl eats a bar chocolate you delusional fuck

asian food has fucking close to 0 calories unless you fry everything.

Anyone that claims to have "packed on muscle" and writes paragraphs about others on fit is guaranteed to be 20%+ bf

The yellow caricature doesn't eat grilled tofu and fish broth. She eats meme cookies and ice cream.

12-14% according to my bodyfat caliper, actually (depending on which method I use -- the three-point method gives a higher number than the hip-only method). I'm 80-81kg at 186cm. Still chubby by Veeky Forums standards, but well into the "normal" BMI range, and lean enough that you can see some muscle-definition on my shoulders and arms.

I was originally at 120kg, and cut down to 80 over the course of about 6 months.

Taking a break now to gain back some muscle and recomp a little bit.

Have another cut scheduled after my recomp is done.

I watch my calories religiously now, and probably will have to, for the rest of my life.

Why do women hate each other so much? They literally believe shit like the OP. They walk around, look at strangers more attractive than them and believe they do nothing to be that way. They believe their own crap about why they fail. They say horrible things about each other out of pure jealousy that the feminazis somehow turn into "OMG patriarchy!" arguments.

The really disturbing thing is that it's starting to infect men now, with all the "Chad" bullshit. Self-neutered men, sure, but I'm worried it will affect real men before much longer.

>overestimating calories burned
>underestimating calories consumed

Everytime fatties. Everytime.

Gook food doesn't have calories and they eat slow AF, like 1 hour meal time

/pol/, please, that's embarrasing even for our standards

>They walk around, look at strangers more attractive than them and believe they do nothing to be that way

All you need to do to be an attractive woman is not eat like a hippo, soooo....

You're at least 20% if caliper readings are that high.

Had a caliper reading done by experts with high quality calipers and measured 12.6% when I was actually 20+.

You can eat shit food and stay at your tdee, he probably doesn't eat breakfast and those big pig out meals are probably his big meal for the day.

or just post your body on /fit. The mirror is the best indicator

We'll tell you if you're fat or lean

I'm the same height as you and am 112kg started out at the same weight and I'm running a 1k calorie deficit.

How big was the deficit you ran and what exercise did you do to get your resutls?

Maybe. I'm not too worried about it either way, I'm already pretty happy with the way my body looks right now, and the way forward is clear. There is no way going back now, no way I'll stop improving. Since I started dieting like 8 or 9 months ago, I haven't missed a single gym session, I go 3x a week.

Yeah, that was sorta the point I was trying to make. Skeleman eats shit food, but he will hit his TDEE probably more accurately than I can without even counting his calories. For some people (like me) it's not so easy, and I will probably have to apply discipline to my nutrition for the rest of my life. I don't know if this is an innate skill some people have, or whether it's a matter of learning to listen to your body, but either way, if you don't have this skill, you need to be aware of it and count.

I ran pretty extreme deficits initially. I started soft and decreased calories every day. During the ~second month I only ate around 600kcals/day (would not recommend btw, this is probably retardedly dangerous.) I let up a little after that and increased to 1600-1800kcals/day and added in an hour of swimming every day (2-3km in 45-60 minutes.) My nutrition strategy was to mostly keep protein reasonably high, sodium low, large amounts of water, coffee & green tea (about 2 cups of coffee and 6 cups of green tea a day, I would guess.) I also took some supplements, the most notable is probably ritalin (which can act as a pretty powerful appetite suppressor.) After month 5 I started to get serious about resistance training (3x a week on fullbody routine.)

According to my measurements (basic store-bought scale) I dropped 12kg the first month (probs mostly water-weight), 8kg the second, 6kg the third month, then 2kg every month thereafter. Progress naturally slows down as bodyfat gets lower of course, but since I've also gained quite a bit of muscle, that probably adds a little bit of weight back on (I think gaining about a kg of muscle/month is a pretty conservative estimate).

I suggest you actually look that up you tard.

Wow 600 calorie day sounds soul crushing. I don't think that I could pull that off. I've been doing intermittent fasting currently and not eating 'till 1pm and then I usually eat 1000 - 1300 calories but make sure to maximize protein, low carbs and lots of salad + veg. Subreddits like /r/1200isplenty has been pretty helpful. I actually feel a lot fuller.

Only exercise I do is cycling for 4 - 5 hours a week commuting. Will probably get a gym membership when I drop down low enough.

I wouldn't mind getting ritalin, I fucking love the stuff. I feel like I'd get addicted tho.

lmao so true I legit know a 90lb 5'1 asian girl

The funny thing is that Asian diets are typically different and the portion sizes are smaller. Not just talking about the food that you get from Asian restaurants.

Typically they eat more vegetables, use more spice (decreases appetite), drink green tea (decreases appetite) and the parents bully the fuck out of the kids so that they get good grades and maintain decent fitness.

Ever wonder why there are so many Asian piano prodigies while The West has the most popular music industry?

We don't have as good of a work ethic and we don't feel shame in the same way.

I didn't suffer at any point, I'm not exactly sure why. I think the ritalin probably helped a lot (although I'd been on that stuff for many years even before I started cutting, but I still thinks it helps suppressing appetite). But I think the most part is really that the body is very willing to just draw energy from the fat when you're obese/overweight.

I am 100% sure that I only ate the specified amount of calories every day, since I ate the exact same thing every day and weighted absolutely everything.

I was really hungry the first week or two, but after that, I guess I sorta learned to ignore the hunger. I was basically doing something like IF as well, I held back eating until as late as possible, then ate a really high-volume low-calorie meal, then go to bed not too long afterwards, so that I wouldn't get hungry again. It kinda felt like sleeping "reset" my hunger-state.

I don't feel that I'm addicted to ritalin, I often forget to take it (I assume that wouldn't happen.) I've been on the stuff for 15 years now, as per prescription from a neuro-psychiatrist, and I'm not taking too high doses (20mg.)

For my next cut, I'm aiming to get down another 8-10kg to 70-74kg, at which point I should be pretty lean. Going to cycle some light SARMs to help me preserve my gains.

Whenever I've done Ritalin at university for getting high or studying I've developed a tolerance really quickly.

I hope I lose weight at a similar rate to you. I don't think I'll exercise as hard or drop my calories as low but I'm gonna see how long I can keep my deficit at around 1000 calories.

In your experience is it really easy to overestimate tdee and underestimate calories? I weigh SOME of the stuff and get my girlfriend to add up stuff in myfitnesspal calculators but I feel satisfied with what I'm eating so I'm worried that the calories are actually higher than the readings I'm getting.

Also why low sodium?

I agree, but you make it sound rather one-sided, IMO. I've interviewed quite a few chinese people for various tech-related jobs (mostly programming) and have usually found that they are educated and conditioned more to imitation to a point where it comes off almost as fraud to many people. I always try to stay fair and keep an open mind, but many of my co-workers regularly think that chinese applicants are "frauds".

When e.g. a chinese person says "I know C++" I interpret that as "it was mentioned in some school curriculum I had to do, so I probably wrote a few thousand lines at best". When anybody else says that in a job interview, it usually means they have 5+ or 10+ years of experience. None of them seem to have much of a passion for any of it either; they just seem to feel that it is "the appropriate thing to do to be a good citizen", which means they are never actually good at it in that real way that school doesn't teach you.

They also seem to not be educated to think out-of-the-box or creatively/"enterprisingly" in any way, and I think the piano prodigy thing is a really good example for that. All those piano prodigies are 100% useless -- it's purely a "my kid can do this"-status-skill that parents love, it has no real-world application, because nobody is impressed if you can play the piano (past age 12), and there is zero demand or money for it. You will also notice that none of those "piano prodigies" ever do any amount of improv or actual composing -- they are basically just human MIDI synthesizers that you feed sheet-music into. Pop music OTOH (as much as you may hate on it) has a lot of money and creativity in it.

So why they teach admirable work-ethic, from what I've seen, it's usually pretty misguided and narrow-minded.

I'm more talking about first and second generation migrants rather than mainland chinese people who are literal scum.

The low sodium was just a thing I wanted to try out, in retrospect I don't think there is much point to it unless you have high BP. It is *really* hard to eat low sodium, and many things end up tasting insufferably bland. I went off it after a month or two or so. I still look out a little bit for the sodium content on the label and try not to get insane amounts, but being able to grind some rocksalt onto my food prior to eating is a serious improvement of life quality.

I didn't exercise AT ALL in the beginning, and I still dropped weight hard, so I think you'll be fine. The one thing I wished I had started earlier on was serious 3x-a-week resistance training with progressive overloading. Also maintain your proton levels.

I went full cold turkey and just started my diet completely from scratch so that I could be 100% sure I knew how many calories I consumed. I never had any actual rules on how many calories I wanted to consume on a particular day, my only HARD rule was that I had to KNOW.

Overestimating TDEE is probably a thing that can happen, better err on the side of caution w.r.t. your activity level. I also experienced quite a bit of a (I guess?) metabolic slowdown, where my TDEE ended up significantly lower than what any online calculator would tell me, after 6-8 months of cutting. I think when I stopped cutting I would maintain weight at 1600kcals/day or so. I started eating at maintenance (2400) for a few weeks and worked out hard, and I think my metabolism recovered back to normal base levels. Not sure what exactly went on with that, but oh well.

Also just remember that you generally need to eat less as you lose fat. Assess yourself in the mirror regularly and take progress pictures! Measure waist circumference and bodyfat w/ bodyfat caliper, if you can.

Yeah, I've had better experience with those (currently two 2nd-gen migrants in the team I'm leading) but if they have really strict hover-parents and/or come from some area that is predominantly chinese, you can still feel a lot of that influence.

The reason their parents have them learn piano and other 'classical' instruments is because the people who composed the music are long dead, so their politics are unknown/irrelevant. The kid is therefore unlikely to develop any kind of rebelious or contrarian streak.

They want 'success' but they want it within precisely defined boundaries. No 'modern' instruments or drama. Too much danger of being corrupted by the entertainment industry. No arts subjects (ib4 stem mustard race.) Nothing outside the ordinary.

Why? Because the stuff they do get good at makes them highly skilled workers that /someone else can profit from/.

They don't get good at things because they enjoy them, or because they want to be good at them for the satisfaction of being the very best like no one ever was. They do it so that one day /someone else can profit from their skill/ in exchange for a secure position within a carefully defined social hierarchy.

I guess that's true, but the thing is, tho, those people are never actually really good at anything that is actually worth something like their non-chinese counterparts. Their ability to replay some stock classics like "Für Elise" and "Moonlight Sonata" doesn't help them get the gig when I'm looking to hire (and lets be honest, not everyone can be a top-tier classical pianist -- there isn't a demand)

OTOH if somebody shows me their hobby-projects that relate to programming, solve real-world needs, show they are fluent in technologies we use and at the forefront of what people consider modern and state-of-the-art, that's pretty much an instant-hire (assuming everything else is in check.) Did they get shit grade in middle-school? I don't care as long as they can creatively solve my problems

Genetics are a factor, so how about fucking account for it.

Everything about mainland chinese people is horrible apart from the cuisine.

If you're a programmer and you don't have a github page with personal projects then you don't exist.

Servings are much smaller in Asian countries. Also, most people eat a lot more healthy and unprocessed shit there.

>responding seriously to mspainted tumblr logic

exactly.

what the fuck is this bait.

>some mspaint drawing a 5y old made
>proof

The fuck is pocky?

Yeah didn't need the whole story for that but you're right. As someone who's coming from skelemode I will get hungry for an hour or maybe two, after that I don't feel hungry anymore, I just eat my next meal because I track my calories.

a meme snack that isn't even very good

What about the whole manlet and chad thing

I see, fat fucks don't know about bitter chocolate

Not sure what you mean by that, bitter chocolate is still insanely high in calories.

E.g. 85% cocoa dark chocolate has 598kcals with 24g of sugar per 100g.

>lean chicken
>salads without dressing

No wonder she is obese, she eats nothing but carbs and protein. At least asian girl has some fat content in her diet.

Agree, it sucks if they try to make headway in any field that requires creativity or originality. But it makes them very useful in certain roles that require things you can 'just learn.'

looks like an excellent macro breakdown to me. Lots of fat, some protein, good fiber. Also 10 squares of 85% fills you up fast. 100g is a whole meal. 600kcal for a meal is cut level

Found the land whale

>uni
>friend failed classes last semester
>friend still in uni

found the 16 year old, learn to satisfactory academic progress requirements.

it says sallads with dressing and where do you find carbs in chicken, sallad, dressing and water?

Daily reminder that 60% of china is diabetic or prediabetic.

It's way too much sugar. Maybe this is okay right before working out or right after (if you believe in the anabolic protein-driving thing) to get an insane spike, but not for a normal meal. For a normal meal, I would want the carbs from non-sugar sources.

It's also way too little protein IMO, but of course you can offset that by supplementation or just eating something else throughout the day (e.g. lean chicken breast) -- but it's not exactly a good macro ratio nonetheless. I eat it for indulgence.

Fats are probably not the best-quality fats either. I know there is a lot of memeing around what constitutes good or bad fats, but I personally want to err on the safe side and have a large portion of my fats come from fishoil and other oils that are considered top-tier (olive oil)

But w.r.t. fatties, I don't think it's a good idea to give them dark chocolate because it really isn't that filling. Since it spikes you, you get that secondary feeling of fullness caused by the insulin, but that takes a while, and you don't get that "physical feeling of fullness" from your digestive system that eating larger quantities of low-calorie foods gives you.

So, eh. Not trying to argue that it's bad here, but I don't think it's a good solution for most fatties.

Dressing on the side means they aren't eating it. 99% of salad is carbs. The lean chicken is all protein.

I know a skinny gook who's into competitive eating every now and then
Now one ever believes him when he tells them but I've seen him eat like a truck it's insane
He's the reason I believe genetics play some role, I think hormones do as well cause I used to be skelly who gave no fucks about what I ate till puberty, then I got chubbyish and had started working out and eating better

12g of sugar is too much for a meal? 22g total carbs? you can practically stay in ketosis if you had this 3 meals a day.

Last as in "the last one he did before dropping out". That was a while ago, we're both working now. 25 years old.

Also, you don't get into uni at 16, but I assume you wouldn't know since you probably dropped out of HS.

I think so. I eat around 100g of carbs each day (excluding dietary fiber), but much less than 10g of that is from sugar. If I ate 3x12g of sugar, my face would be covered in acne the next day. YMMV.

>Dressing on the side means they aren't eating it.
no
>99% of salad is carbs.
no
>The lean chicken is all protein.
ok?

>don't get into uni at 16

1. I was implying you were not old enough to attend uni
2. While it doesn't really matter; There actually are many people who attend uni at 16. One famous example is Weird Al. One slightly less famous example is my older brother.

Shit son, there are more grams in a single can of coke. And while i don't advocate drinking soda. Billions of people can drink a coke without a breakout. I believe your situation is unique, and you should consider not applying your personal biology to people in general.

thats not what he is saying you are so fucking retarded

/thread

Disregard the acne part, I was speaking in general. I think it's a desirable goal for most people to eat less sugar and get more carbs from complex sources (like oats, veggies etc), unless you have the specific goal to spike for some reason.

But as I said, YMMV and it depends on your goals. I'm not saying you should never eat it.

Are you just pretending to be retarded or do you have an actual mental deficiency?

>What I've realized through observing him, is that it seems that some people (i.e., skeleman.) seem to have a natural ability to feel saturated and to not overeat. Even though skeleman literally stuffs his face with garbage every day, he will actually eat almost exactly at TDEE when looking at it over the course of a week.
This exactly. If i observe my skinny friends who dont give a fuck about what they eat. They do eat alot of crap but they dont eat that much. If we go to an all you can eat place i can literally eat 5 times what they eat. If were at a party, they eat a fuck snacks here and there, and some crisps. Meanwhile, if i were to not give a fuck about what i eat (like they do) i would literally eat 2 bags of crisps and rape an entire tray of fried snacks, sausages and cheeses etc.

99% cocoa Master race eater here
My chocolate has no added sugar or fats

Come at me bro

But srs, common choc is like 50% sugar and another 20 butter fat

Most dietary guidelines suggest less than 10% of calories from added sugar. This is less than 10% of calories from added sugar.

>looks like an excellent macro breakdown to me

this pretty much
every skinny girl i know who doesnt exercise (name asians) have amazing portion control.

Ignore the same-b8 tossing cuck and carry onward.