How were these things actually used?

How were these things actually used?

Pointy end goes into the other man.

We know that they were used by licensed (by a fencing guild) soldiers, mostly in a bodyguard or guard duty. their role was to protect valuable assets during melee combat after battle line was broken. Tasked with protecting guns, flags, commanders they used the large blade in figure 8 and other intricate swinging motions. We have portuguese and snapish accounts of their use in such roles.

>when other man has a spear with longer reach and armor that makes pointy poky ends ineffective

Those blades wouldn't work against combatants wearing plate or layered chain+padding, which were commonplace by that point

No, this blades are 16th & 17th century were full plate was already gone and half armour or breastplate and helmet only prevailed. those swords were also used in more common non battlefield roles. personal protection of notables in streets, urban areas or even ships are noted examples of how this weapons were used. Remember, most fighting done at the time was not organized wars, but the local feud or criminal gang giving trouble.

>angry mob chases your count over the market place, better start swinging
>protestant fuckers with short swords are going for your regimental flag, better start swinging
>assassins block your client in a narrow alley, better start swinging
>fucking turks are about to swarm the stern of your Galley, better start swinging

shortly after they fell out of use and were mostly ceremonial.

wew, generally swords and longswords are useless against full heavy plate in their original role. However a long renaissance Zweihänder generates enough momentum to qualify as heavy impact weapon. Combine that with he lighter armour models around the time of its use and you got a deadly weapon.
This things are really more area denial than 1:1 fencing, all sources show a fast flow of rotational cuts meant for different targets as basic technique. But then, the ultra big Euro swords were a short lived thing and pretty rare overall.

Its rather curious that of all people, only Euronigs and East Asians have thought of the notion of a ridiculously long two-hander sword.

By flashstepping magical girls

because only them and indo-persians had the required technology to make blades that long, and the indo-persians did develop their own spleen with retarded weapons

>Those blades wouldn't work against combatants wearing plate
Those blades are long enough that the blunt force alone would be comparable with a mace hit, and pointy enough to be used as spear points. Greatswords were pretty much halberds for heavily armored infantry.

Not really. A lot of cultures from Europe to Japan could develop longass blades.

It's just that only in Europe, China, Korea, and Japan was there placed much importance of heavy infantry combat. Not so much in the Steppes, the Middle East, or even in India where cavalry and light infantry was king.

>Not really. A lot of cultures from Europe to Japan could develop longass blades.
Know what, a lot of cultures did, Koreans, Burmese, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese just to think of a few, tehy all had long blades. Now Indians and Persians (and T*rks) had the technology bud didn't made the asslong blades.
In Europe Germs, Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, Dutch, Scots, Danes and likely some more had longass blades.

That covers pretty much everybody at the time. What are you trying to "prove"?

I literally explained why: emphasis on heavy infantry.

Europeans & East Asians did. Not so much the cunts in between them who fapped to cavalry or running around as light infantry.

To slice people open and do big damage.

Turks had heavy infantry, same for some Indian cultures

I read somewhere that armored footsoldiers would use large sword such as that called zweihanders to break through thick formations of pikes. The soldiers would swing the swords ahead of them in figures of eight to break the formations. I could be wrong but thats what I heard :)

Yeah, but that is an old an outdated interpretation of this weapon without any primary source. I think it came from some Victorian age weapons collectors book and then was copied all over.

You grab pointy end idiot

Aaaah I see, I don't remember where I heard it, thanks for the update on that.

>cut off their pokey end with your pokey end

>slice a 1.5" thick shaft with a sword in the heat of combat when its not securely mounted in a vice
"no"