WW II survival rates

Lets consider just the major powers for simplicity's sake. Would a soviet infantryman conscripted shortly after the German invasion have any chance of surviving till the end of the war? How about German and Japanese servicemen. Would they basically be fucked due to ever increasing conscription policies. Meaning that nearing the end of the war they would be forced to fight again even if they received a military discharge. I know there's a lot of variables involved with the basic premise, but I'm just wondering if it would be possible to survive the war if you were basically fighting since day one.

All I could find on the matter was the american advanced service rating score
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Service_Rating_Score

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thetis_(N25)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Very good point. As a first wave German recruit you were fucked

I know it MUST have happened, because there are accounts from people like Otto Carius, who enlisted before the war, and served right up into 45. But it must've been quite uncommon.

>Would a soviet infantryman conscripted shortly after the German invasion have any chance of surviving till the end of the war?
millions did
USSR mobilized 35 million people
they had 10 million irrecoverable military losses give or take a few
you don't have to be a mth ace to see where this is going

>As a first wave German recruit you were fucked
Presumably some of those early recruits were captured in Barbarossa and survived 15 years in gulag, only getting home in 1956

U-Boot crews had a 75% casualty rate

Im guessing the the fatality rate would be very close, if not equal to that due to being in a metal tube under the sea.

>due to being in a metal tube under the sea
While being hunted by the world experts in finding and destroying metal tubes under the sea

Pretty much. One sub even managed to kill its crew twice.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thetis_(N25)

Fuck subs, literal death traps

I wonder if those early POWs got a slightly better treatment because the brutality of the eastern front was still in its infancy.

It's very unlikely that there were any German POWs from Barbarossa. The first defeats come from operations like Uranus, Tornado, Citadel, Case Blue etc.

>Tornado
fuck. Typhoon.

True, but Im willing to bet those statistics change drastically when you discriminate between combat arms and support.

>It's very unlikely that there were any German POWs from Barbarossa.
they were some

usually Russians didn't just take prisoners, they killed the Germans on the spot, sometimes they tortured and mutilated(the usual cutting and putting their genital in their mouths them first, by December the Russians only had 10.000 prisoners

>survive the war alone for 33 years

My grandfather was conscripted in '39, and wounded and captured at the very end. Spent most of the time in the east.

Captured by the russians?

>killing farmers
I mean, there's doing your duty and there's being an autistic retard who cant come to the logical conclusion the war ended.

If you lived in the areas between the eastern German border and the Moscow (so Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, chunks of Russia, the Baltics) you had a roughly 1/5 chance of death between 1939 and 1945. More specifically:

Poland: 20% population loss (5.9 million dead)
Belarus: 26% population loss (2.3 million dead)
Ukraine: 17% population loss (6.9 million dead)
Baltics: 14% population loss (0.75 million dead)
Russia: 13% population loss (14 million dead)*
*Includes areas east of Moscow.

penal battalions is probably the worst job

>5.9 million
oy vey

He and the other 2 crazies that didn't realize the war ended for 25 years are some of my favorites.
>The most interesting thing is that when Shoichi Yokoi was captured he said that he was aware that the war was over since 1954, but he was too ashamed to return. The Japanese soldiers were taught that it is more honorable to die than to be captured by the enemy. His words when he returned to Japan became a popular saying in the country: “It is with much embarrassment, but I have returned.”

The fact that he killed civilians while knowing the war was over is inexcusable. Thats utterly disgusting and in no way deserves hero worship.

Yeah, then had a nice stay in a Ukrainian Gulag for for a few years

It depends entirely on where you're deployed and when

Germans had it worse because pretty much every German soldier would go through combat, whereas most US infantry actually never saw direct or fierce combat

There's some US rule that says they won't go to war if they believe the casualities of the war will be over 12%, even ww1 and ww2 weren't over 12%. This includes 12% of all military combat personnel, which shows how most soldiers don't get wounded

Where did you get that?

I cant remember, it was a long time ago.
It could be bullshit.

Christ, more than a 25% chance of becoming a fatality. I wonder what the casualty rate was. The soviets bled a lot during wwII. No wonder they were harsh in their response.

My grandmother's brother was conscripted too, on the German side.
I don't know the details but he fought at Stalingrad, survived and died after coming back home a few years after the war.
He was French.

That sounds like propaganda. While I have no doubt German POWs were treated quite badly, mutilation seems like something Goebbels would come up with.

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARM