Running w/o music

Question to runners here: I usually run with music and currently train (so far successfully) for a marathon coming up in about 2 months. However, rules dictate that during the race you're not allowed to listen to music. Will I be fine if I switch from training with music to training without music in the last few weeks of preparation (or say last month) or is there a fundamental problem with that approach?

As long as you can figure what dependencies you have on listening to music while running and replace them in time. I stopped a while back and love it. Space out and forget the world, focus on breaths, and just relax.

This is the worst running thread ever. Delete it now.

I can't really say how long it takes to switch to either and get used to it. I stopped listening to music while running because I felt like it helped me when I could hear my breathing and also I have the privilege of running in a beautiful forest so without music is nicer anyways.

If I had to run on streets I'd probably listen to music though.

Tl;Dr : I don't know shit

Acting dependent to music is pleb faggot nu male bullshit

I have been willing to do this for a long time, but never actually got to it since I keep thinking of music as a major source of motivation for my running. I would love to just focus on a beautiful summer morning run instead of smashing music in my ears at 6am.

I am from Heidelberg, Germany and run along the beautiful river bank. Hmm, I really think I should stop this music stuff and run like many others without.

Thank you for the advice so far, figure I better stop listening now than later.

Stop wearing them during your long runs
you will be used to running without music for as long as your marathon will be

This

I do a half marathon long run once a month and I tried to do one without music for the heck of it. It made me correct my form even more because I could hear my feet clunking along which I didn't notice since I always had music on.

user is right. listening to music is for plebs.
audiobook master race reporting.

Train with podcast

So you train your body and your mind.

I never had any trouble swapping on race day.

How do you guys run with music anyway? Where do you keep your phone/mp3 player/whatever's playing the music? Do you have those crappy armband things, do they work?

I just hold my phone in my hand which is uncomfortable, looks stupid and means I need to focus on changing hands every once in awhile so I get even grip gains. Also my headphones fall out of my ears and the cord bounces around everywhere. How you guise do this? It's just really fiddly for me but it does make me run way harder

I hold phone in fanny pack, put the cord through my shirt

I've tried that but it also looks silly and the fanny pack bounces around too much. What am I doing wrong? Don't really care how I look

Just sing to yourself as you are running

Music causes an increase in heart rate so you're probably better off without out.
When I run I just like to think about things, like tv shows i've watched, and it passes the time pretty quickly.

ipod shuffle or sansa clip+ bro

>changing hands while holding smartphone for "even" grip gains

I use one of this neckstraps, earplugs stay in better this way too.
But don't they like, not give a shit about your music and stuff, if you are not running for top results. Like anyone finishing after the pros can do whatever they liek since nobody gives a shit about their time but them.

It's actually a very interesting question if you analyze it a little bit you delete your Veeky Forums account now

underrated

When you train and prepare for anything, it's ideal to eliminate as many variables as possible.

That said, you'll be fine. I'm sure the music is giving you the extra motivation to build endurance during training and that's what's most important for distance running.

Also, just about all running races say that headphones are not allowed in order to free the organizers from liability. Just about every race I've done in the past few years has had a similar stipulation and I always see dozens of people at the starting line with headsets.

i have shorts with a pocket on back, phone fits ideally and doesnt bounce. Pic kinda related, something like this

I used to do but as I went from iPhone 5 to 6 these things got bigger and bounced more, I went through one pair of earphones on the 5 and two on the 6 until I decide to go armband and wireless earphones.

Wish I had done it sooner as the cost of buying cheap earphones over and over added up pretty quickly plus the bouncing of a phat phone was getting annoying. Pic related are the earphones I use, throw em in my ear, loop them over my ear and they stay in place. Armband is awkward at first but allows me to see how far I've run and what time at a glance rather than pulling out my phone from a pocket.

This is the best set up I've found so far but this thread has me interested in going for a run without earphones now, it would open up a lot more possible routes as I don't dare run alongside roads and the like while listening to music

Always forget my fucking pic

>rules dictate that during the race you're not allowed to listen to music
why??

I always wondered this, why can't Olympians throw on their iPod and run marathons? What can they possible gain from it other than an extra 500grams of weight?

Stupid question I know but if any runners could explain it would be appreciated

Can I live with you?
One of my goals is to spend a couple years living in a small little village, like the one where I grew up.

Phone in a pocket
Ear hook headphones
Cord under upper layer of clothes