SS Diet?

I've been on SS for about 15 weeks and I've been pretty happy with the results, though my diet/sleep wasn't the best while at uni. A couple weeks ago I finally stopped being a fuck and purchased SS: BBT. However, after reading it and reading bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html I don't know what to do with regard to my diet.

I've always been skinnyfat, now I'm somewhere between skinnyfat and average. I want to progress on my lifts but I'm not huge on the thought of gaining (more of) a belly/lovehandles.

So Veeky Forums, between Rip and Lyle, who do I listen to?

My stats:
5' 11'', 165lbs
Squat: 180lbs
Press: 90lbs
Deadlift: 225lbs
Bench Press: 120lbs
Power Clean: 115lbs
(Max # Chin-ups, since I suck at them: 3)

Other urls found in this thread:

liamrosen.com/fitness.html
fitsticky.com/?
bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump 4 help me pls

We can't tell you what to do without knowing what your goals are nigger

Depends on you honestly, do you want to gain strength and muscle fast go for the rip approach or if you want to have some abs and then make painfully slow gains go for lyles approach.

my bad. My goals are mainly to get stronger (operator mode thick hnnng), but I don't wanna turn totally unaesthetic. I don't mind having to look average for a while, just don't wanna be gross.

I wanna get gain strength and muscle fast, but at the same time I have a girlfriend, and while lifting hasn't affected our relationship I can tell she's a little bit less attracted to me now that i've started to get a bit of a belly.

What is gross for you? All this shit is relative. My gf doesn't care if I have a gut as long as I don't get skinny/small. Some people want to be Veeky Forums and metrosexual.

If you "recomp" now you'll look like absolute shit for months and months. You basically won't put on any appreciable amount of muscle.

You don't need to drink an extra 5000 kcal a day but you should eat more and build muscle. You can cut off the fat in a few months after you've gained some actual muscle.

My gf, based on her past + talking to her, has always been attracted to the slim, tall, white, Veeky Forums type. I'm none of those things lol.

If that's the case then should I aim for the lower end of Rip's recommendation (3500kcal)? I like the muscle I've gotten so far and want it to continue*

*mainly in the legs+butt. enough that most all my pants don't fit anymore and gay dudes wanna smack my ass.

add in extra upper body work. one or two exercises of upper body movements (bb rep scheme like 3 x 10) with some dumbbells each day. bulk to around 185 then cut down and maintain.

I was gonna start using Rip's advice (via starting strength forum) on how to increase chins and start doing sets of failure to failure (i.e. keep on doing sets until i can't do a single chin-up). is that enough or should I add more?

If the latter, what sort of upperbody work would you recommend?

start with that and if you feel like you have room for another exercise than add more.

chin ups are good. you can rotate between things like face pulls, curl variants, dumbbell chest press, lateral raises, dumbbell rows, dips

Rip's recommendation isn't aimed at you specifically. Read the bits in the sticky about bulking, and eat enough for a slow, clean bulk.
Dips and curls (3x8-12) would be a decent addition, but remember: you'll only be doing SS for a few months, whereas you have years afterwards to work on your physique. Accessory selection doesn't really matter that much at the minute, just don't be an idiot who does SS at 4000cal for 18 months and wonders why they look like shit.

And also, don't neglect cardio. Regardless of what Rip says, it will help with your lifting and your body.

just wanna say, thanks to all y'all.
Been super helpful, much love

I was thinking of doing 30 min of cardio on "A" fridays and 10 min on "B" fridays (mainly cuz B takes more time than A). Would you recommend more/different than that or nah?

Which sticky: liamrosen.com/fitness.html or fitsticky.com/?

The pinned sticky is where i got bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html from

>I want to progress on my lifts but I'm not huge on the thought of gaining (more of) a belly/lovehandles.
If you want to get stronger, you're gonna have to get fatter too. Have you heard of bulking? Cutting?

REMEMBER: the reason you are doing starting strength, the reason starting strength WORKS, is because as a beginning weight lifter, you are so weak that your body can recover in

lol, good fuckin point(s).
Guess it's time to (clean) bulk.

>only do SS for a few months
depends on how strong you want to get. again, coach rip, who has spent his whole life doing this, has said that it takes about 9 months to get SO strong that you cannot possibly recover from a SS workout in don't be an idiot who does SS at 4000cal for 18 months
strawman detected. no one has ever recommended this, ever.

I'm not saying anyone recommended it, I'm saying people do it.

>time to (clean) bulk.
I don't even know if there is such a thing as a clean bulk. What foods aren't "clean"? Can I not use butter to cook my eggs? Honestly I recommend IIFYM + daily vitamins

>ALL women are attracted to slim tall white men. DUH.
I somehow forgot to mention the most important thing: women are all attracted to MUSCULAR men. So you may not be tall or white - oh well, so you don't fit in on /pol/. You can still get ripped. If you've never had big muscles, get them; its insane how women come on to you and try to touch you.

Whatever you do, take monthly progress pictures to keep yourself in check. You won't gain fat that fast, but gradual fat gain is hard to notice and eventually you might end up realising you've gained too much

Any recommendations on how best to combine cardio with SS?

Bump for same question

A study was done in the past to see how the body reacts to body building + endurance training (running).

They found that if you run IMMEDIATELY AFTER your workout, then your body gains the benefits of the weight training ( you get stronger) and your body also gains the benefits of the running (your endurance is increased / heart gets stronger).

HOWEVER if you run on a different day than you lift weights YOUR BODY WILL CHOOSE THE ENDURANCE GAINS OVER THE STRENGTH GAINS. For example, if you lift weights monday/wednesday/friday and run during the other days of the week, your endurance will steadily go up but your will NOT get as strong as a person who is not running but still lifting weights.

I just entered your shit in a tdee calculator
Get on a 2500kcal diet with ~165gr of protein daily and you're safe
>inb4 people saying it's too much protein
As long as he stays under 2500kcal it's better to get too much then to little so fuck you

your regular diet + GOMAD

Where'd you calculate that? I used the calculator from the sticky and it gave me 2871 kcal

What if I do cardio everyday??

But I cardio and lift, and I cardio on my rest days.

I'm just cutting mango the gains are a bonus.