Keto: is it a meme diet?

>"The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that carbohydrates make up 45 to 65 percent of your total daily calories. So, if you get 2,000 calories a day, between 900 and 1,300 calories should be from carbohydrates. That translates to between 225 and 325 grams of carbohydrates a day."

The keto crew seem to disagree, but there is currently no long-term evidence supporting their belief that it's healthy to stop eating carbohydrates, and tbqh cutting out carbs just makes it harder to get enough vitamins, minerals, and lipids.

Is there any GOOD reason to actually try this fad diet out if I'm already eating a well balanced and nutritious diet?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
reddit.com/r/keto/comments/328bpa/scrolls_and_tomes_against_the_indoctrinated/
anthonycolpo.com/breaking-news-taubes-own-study-shows-insulin-obesity-theory-is-false/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

funny how the meme dieters only post in threads that support their beliefs

IMO a lot of normie's success from keto is simply due to a deficit, not any extra fat burning properties the diet entails. A lot of keto goers are sugar addicts. When they get that hit of dopamine when a sweet hits their lips, they have a very hard time controlling themselves. The keto diet never lets them have that, and so it's easy to stay on a deficit. Just look on r/keto and r/loseit how many keto goers "binge" after just a tiny relapse of the prescribed diet.

Fad diet? Sort of. More of an addiction tool IMHO

Can the body really function without carbs?

What happens if you do a carbs/proteins only diet?

>Is there any GOOD reason to actually try this fad diet out if I'm already eating a well balanced and nutritious diet?

Nah

>What happens if you do a carbs/proteins only diet?

You only need 10 grams or so of PUFA to not be deficient, something like 9 grams of omega 6 and 1 grams of omega 3. You would be hard pressed not to get that.

I doubt it's "optimal" though, some people do well on low fat diets (i.e. alberto nunez) but I would imagine most people don't, for me at least if I go below 50g/ad everything tastes like cardboard.

fat intake is crucial for hormonal regulation. I believe a low fat diet your test will drop, depression, no libido, all around awful.

Yes ,your body will use fat as a source of energy.

You need carbs, pro and fat to build muscle and be healthy too.

That's the reason keto suks bc is very limited.

>if I'm already eating a well balanced and nutritious diet
just keep doing what you're doing.
the main improvement of keto over the 'conventional fatty' diet is you won't binge on sugar.

Okay, thanks guys

how about you try it out and see for yourself

>2016
>not chugging ketochow on the dayyyyy leeee

ketochow must be absolutely saluted

Medfag here. You're all so retarded it hurts.

>treats cancer

Literally kill yourselves ketocucks

>Medfag here
Literally no ones cares. Turn your trip of and never post here again.
>You're all so retarded it hurts.
We are all saying keto sucks not supporting it you illiterate faggot.

>the keto crew seems to disagree
Not just them either
225/325gr of carbs on 2000 calories for a sedentary lifestyle is fucking disproportional

Besides excess protein gets transformed into carbs anyway so it doesn't harm to botch those proteins up and as long as you stay in your daily kcal allowance I'd even consider cutting some of those carbs for some extra good fats

> excess protein gets transformed into carbs

you sound like you know what you're talking about

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
It turns into glucose not carbs.

I was interested in Keto, particularly as my carbs were too high and my fats too low. I wanted to shake things up completely.
But while I was researching I decided to try and start by just increasing fats.
So breakfast went from

40g oats + water + banana
To
2 back bacon + 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites

Not only does one fat based meal balance out my day a lot more but it genuinely does help keep you full and I'm feeling a bit better these days energy-wise too.

So I can definitely see all their points, it's just a matter of whether I'd still feel that way if I actually WENT keto.
The main thing stopping me is having to apparently decrease protein as not to be kicked out of Keto.

ITT: Memes against memes

You cunts need to start using objective reasoning, it's useful in basic interaction with society

>The keto crew seem to disagree, but there is currently no long-term evidence supporting their belief that it's healthy to stop eating carbohydrates
Their counter to that is that there's no evidence that the traditional dietary model seen in food pyramids is healthy. This it's a moot point

>and tbqh cutting out carbs just makes it harder to get enough vitamins, minerals, and lipids
This is a ridiculous blanket statement and demonstrably false in the places where the keto diet is typically marketed (western countries). Lipids in particular are far easier to maintain/regulate healthily on a keto diet than a traditional western diet.
It's also important to note that the keto diet isn't about cutting out carbs.

>Is there any GOOD reason to actually try this fad diet out if I'm already eating a well balanced and nutritious diet?
Plenty of good reasons for plenty of different people, same as any other approach to diet.

I'm type 1 diabetic for example, and tried keto for 4-5 months since it was shown to help control blood sugars. It did, and I felt better and more energetic as a result of less spike profiles in my blood sugar hikes, and more consistency in my fasted states.

I'd argue that much of this translates into non diabetics, particularly people who regularly eat processed carbs of any kind, since we know their blood sugar profiles closely map diabetics, albeit far less pronounced.

That isn't to say that you couldn't get the same benefits from any high fat or low carb diet, but that's not a differentiation OP is asking about.

tl;dr Plenty good reasons, no reason to go nuts about it or hate it, it's just another approach to diet

>idiots btfo

/thread

I lost 10kg (76->66) on Keto after being a lardass and not going to the gym last winter.
Very easy to eat less if you can't have carbs. Breakfast was awesome with bacon and eggs every day.
If I ever need to lose much weight in the future I'll do Keto again.

> Their counter to that is that there's no evidence that the traditional dietary model seen in food pyramids is healthy. This it's a moot point

There is actually a lot of evidence that unprocessed/unrefined carbohydrates are good for us.

> I'd argue that much of this translates into non diabetics, particularly people who regularly eat processed carbs of any kind, since we know their blood sugar profiles closely map diabetics, albeit far less pronounced.

Why not just eat complex carbs? There's no reason for to stop eating fruit and vegetables unless you have a specific reason -- the only reason this fad diet caught on was because heaps of cunts felt they were lied to about the whole "fat is evil" mantra of the last few decades and now think ALL carbs are evil.

Keto helps fat bastards shed tones of weight that why it's good
Long term, you should go for adding more complex carbs.

I don't recommend low fat or low card when asked. I tell people it's different for each individual, but having been obese and now in a healthy range, I've tried nearly every combination of macro distribution except pure protein. The only diet I felt no adverse effects from was at least 30% fat and then the rest a mix of protein and carbs, usually ending up to be 40/30 carbs/protein. My lifts went up in a deficit, I didn't lose any visible muscle, and I never felt like I didn't have enough energy. The worst experience I had, by far, was two weeks of low to no fat dieting. After 3 days I felt like death himself was circling me and nothing felt right. My favorite pre workout tasted like unclean asshole, the vegetables I ate tasted like water. Fruit was the only thing I could really taste and it was mostly just the sugar.

Low carb was really hard to balance with a gym routine designed to gain strength. I could barely push my light days on bench some weeks. I did it for four months and lost only two pounds more than balanced.

It's not worth it for extended periods. Go low carb and a high deficit for two weeks then build up to a balanced diet over the next two. You'll burn some extra fat in the beginning then you'll feel great after four weeks at a moderate deficit with carbs in your system.

Don't do low fat ever. Soccer moms and bitch dads that don't understand what dietary fat does and they lie through their bad breath give low fat diets fake merit. It's just false. Few people feel good on low fat. Especially healthy, active men.

But like I said, it's individual based.

For the record though, I did a juice and chicken only diet that felt better than low fat.

>There is actually a lot of evidence that unprocessed/unrefined carbohydrates are good for us.
Correct, and they're often a small part of keto diets. But that's not what OP said

>Why not just eat complex carbs? There's no reason for to stop eating fruit and vegetables unless you have a specific reason
Most of my diet is vegetables. I also eat a lot of lentils, legumes and pearl barley which are mostly low GI. They all still have an affect on blood sugar but I'm smart and capable enough to deal with it sensibly.

>the only reason this fad diet caught on was because heaps of cunts felt they were lied to about the whole "fat is evil" mantra of the last few decades and now think ALL carbs are evil.
I'd agree that's a large part of it, but that doesn't make any of its claims false (despite OPs image being a clear marketing bullshit prop)

Baby out with bathwater.

I did keto for 3 weeks. lost weight but couldn't even cut grass without feeling like shit because no energy

My theory is that it's probably just the refined sugars found in garbage processed foods that make some people who start the keto diet feel so much better when they're eating that stuff instead of the usual crap they eat, but even then I've heard a lot of people say that they feel terrible once starting the keto diet so I'm not really sure what's going on there.

I've just been trying to follow these rules lately and I'm feeling better than I ever have:

> make sure you're reaching the daily intake of vitamins, minerals
> try to get a ratio of omega 3/6 no more than 1:4
> try not to eat stuff with a lot of trans fat or saturated fat in it
> eat enough protein so your muscles don't waste away
> try not to eat stuff with added sugar in it

>325 grams of carbohydrates a day

thats a fucking shitload even for a non bodybuilder. one serving of 100g of rice is like 80g of carbs

>but even then I've heard a lot of people say that they feel terrible once starting the keto diet so I'm not really sure what's going on there.
What's going on there is that ketosis isn't reached for typically 2-3 weeks after starting a keto diet, longer for people who half-ass it. As a result low energy as the body runs out of carbs (and thus low on glucose) is a very common complaint.

The simple solution is to grin and bare it and wait another couple weeks.

>I've just been trying to follow these rules lately and I'm feeling better than I ever have:

All good rules, I'd add try to eat more monounsaturated fats and try to eat nothing processed and try to eat 70%+ vegetables, but otherwise I'm 100% with you on that list.

THIS IS THE FUCKING ANSWER FIT, ONCE AND FOR ALL

all pro bodybuilders (per and post steroid era) CARB CYCLE

its basically a diet that keeps you in ketosis but you carb up periodically

>no argument about eating carbs or not because you eat them at certain times
>get the benefits of ketosis

three ways to do it are
1- no carbs m-f and carb up weekends
2-no carbs and a carb up meal every 3-5 days (this is optimal)
3-carbs on heavy lifting days and no carbs on days off

THATS ALL FOLKS

>but there is currently no long-term evidence supporting their belief that it's healthy to stop eating carbohydrates

except there is a shitload.

reddit.com/r/keto/comments/328bpa/scrolls_and_tomes_against_the_indoctrinated/

see the
>Problems with high carb low fat diets

section.

yes yes, it's from l e d d i t

>Can the body really function without carbs?
yes

>What happens if you do a carbs/proteins only diet?
it's better than a carbs/fat/protein diet. it's a crazy end of the spectrum which is comparatively a lot healthier than the SAD, but still shitty because of all the carbs.

>cutting out carbs just makes it harder to get enough vitamins, minerals, and lipids.
>lipids
>worrying about lipids on fucking keto

ISHYGDDT

Keto is really good for PCOS which is a common disorder in women. It's also used to treat epilepsy.

Our guts evolved eating a keto diet you fucking moron. And yes there are numerous studies linking ketogenic diets around the world with superior health, ie Japanese fish diets, Inuit red meat diet etc.

Keto isn't zero carbs either, just low carbs. The whole reason we evolved the ability to metabolise ketones for energy is because our diet didn't contain enough carbs. The onus is on high carb diets to prove themselves superior to keto, and as we know they have failed spectacularly. Whereas grains and sugars are increasingly associated with various diseases, keto is as effective a treatment for cancer as radiotherapy.

I just don't know why it's still a big debate whether keto works. We know it works, we know it's very healthy, we know that we aren't supposed to eat carbs in amounts higher than what is found in typical fruit and vegetables.

People still act like it's 1980 and fat is a bad thing. It's crazy that people are more worried about cramming in carbs than about getting their essential fats in good amounts.

>ketosis isn't reached for typically 2-3 weeks after starting a keto diet

Where are you getting that information? In my experience it took 2 days (used keto test strips). Google also says otherwise.

keto test strips are unreliable.

He means it takes at least 2-3 weeks to get fat adapted,

you can start making ketones in 2 days after completely depleting your glycogen storage. Doesn't mean your body is fat adapted yet.

Anyone who actually knows his shit in here?

So ketosis is a good thing and basically the goal for the keto diet?

I'm a type 1 diabetic, and have always associated ketones negatively and harmful (not taking enough insulin = high blood sugar = ketones = damage/eventual death).

So ketones are fine? But together with high blood sugars it's bad?

Okay so the other user just misspoke

dunno, i've been doing low carb/keto for about 2 years.. never had much of a sweet tooth; what i do like is bread/pizza/beer.

The main draw to keto is the satiation you get on a cut, after a week of it, you basically have to force yourself to eat.

Getting by consuming a level of calories that on a conventional diet would lead to constant hunger pangs is .. qualitatively different than other diets.

Basically if you're fat you should do keto first.

Keto is retarded and a good way to die faster.
Good luck on your heart attack, impotence, stroke, death goals.

>2016
>high fat diet

No.
/thread

You can't thread your own posts

fucking newfags

Kin student here. Not an expert, but have 3 nutrition classes completed so far. Cutting carbs to cut weight is generally effective, but cutting them to the point where you're going into ketosis is retarded.

For my current cut I have been doing anything between keto (

Ketosis is fucking awful for diabetics (type 1 or type 2), because insulin plays a huge role in controlling blood pH. This makes your blood far more likely to become acidic while on a ketogenic diet. Google it for more details.

>It's also important to note that the keto diet isn't about cutting out carbs.
what is it about then?

Keto is not supposed to be done long term.

This, most tribes aren't in ketosis because they eat vegetation all day long just like the vegetarians that we evolved from.

anthonycolpo.com/breaking-news-taubes-own-study-shows-insulin-obesity-theory-is-false/

everything you wanted to know about why keto is bullshit but were afraid to ask

aka

gary taubes BTFO'd but he will keep making megabucks from dumb people looking for a magic bullet