Things at the gym that make you cringe

So is there a stigma against benching on the Smith machine or not?

yes it's essentially the autistic fuck child of a hammer strength and a normal bench

Using the smith machine for anything but calf raises and hip thrusts is stigmatized

I do it every chest day. It helps me focus on squeezing my pecs more instead of just moving weight.

What about weak beginners or people who have bad form?

Today I saw a scrawny little 10 year old walking around with lifting gloves on. Never cringed harder desu

Smith machine will only make it worse and make you lack form more in the long run.

senpai

>uni gym
>im dyel as fuck, squatting around 1 plate
>but I worked up to that squatting ATG, so I squat it ATG
>mfw I see almost everyone (except the few fucking huge guys that squat 3-4 plates ATG) load up 2pl8 and squat it to above parallel

it's always 2pl8 too

>still caring about what people wear

Did summer just happen for middle school kids?

wtf does this even say

>can't even squat 2pl8 above parallel
>makes fun of everyone who can

this some backward ass mentality

Do it if you want. What's more important, you getting a good exercise, or what some twat in the gym thinks of you? Fucking priorities nigga. If the smith machine allows you to gain confidence when starting out and get a proper workout then by all means use it

That said, proper benching will help you achieve better all round strength. Engaging all them stabiliser muscles and what not. I would recommend trying to do proper benching if you can. Always work with a manageable weight if you're doing it by yourself. Also, learn the roll of shame - if you're failing on a rep, then lower the bar to your chest, then roll it down your torso to your legs, sit up, and lower it onto the ground. Better than dropping the weight above your head and killing yourself.

is this some kind of bait? Why do you care what a 10 year old kid is wearing?

i could absolutely squat 2pl8 to the degree they do

it's not even really a squat, it's more like a weighted stretch

>1pl8 squat

you wouldnt be able to even unrack the bar

You really have no place to be feeling superior to anyone if you're only repping 1pl8. That's untrained/novice tier. You're very very weak.

>I 5RM 1pl8
>I can absolutely squat 2pl8 above parallel

wtf, lol. This some kind of bait?

You are literally untrained tier at squatting. That means you are as weak as someone who has never lifted. And I put your weight in as 150 lbs even though you're probably heavier which makes your stats even less impressive.

hes fucking 10 dude lol
also he might sweat on his hands a lot and doesnt wanna drop weights? i knew some kids with similar issues when i was that age

better for your chest, worst for the rest of your body (core basicaly)

>judging a 10 year old who is at a gym.
fuck off lanklet, you just mad jelly you didn't start as early as him.

yo what site is that

>5RM is 135
>posts picture that shows 1RM would be 157
>still thinks he can squat 205 above parallel

lol wtf is this?

Strength Standards

yay im almost novice

so is it bad to squat in a Smith Machine or not? The Squat rack is often taken, so I just use the Smith. Never use it for bench though.

>samefag glove-wearer triggered
kys

I have never ever seen anyone squat in the smith machine.
Also, squatting in smith machine is much different than squatting with barbell

keked

Yes it is bad. The range of motion is unnatural and you are not engaging your stabilizers. Also the bar weighs next to nothing.

come fight me. Ill be doing pullups with my gloves on while also wearing my weight lifting belt to hold my gut in. Imma wear a hat and sunglasses to make sure you know its me

i have no idea.

Well wtf is it for?

Lower the weight you mong.

i only see people doing pullups on that shit.

Why is he lifting so early? His body isn't even producing test yet.

You're implying that the smith machine gives a good exercise. It doesn't.

>People that count the bar weight

Would I be better of doing Squats with Dumbbells instead? God damn I feel like a fool squatting in smith amchine. I know it's not the same, but still thought it was better than doing leg press/ hamstring pull/ etc

Read the second post of this thread.

How about you squat with a barbell like everyone else?

Goblet squats and Bulgarian lunges if you want.

>People who think 45lbs is 0lbs

This guy at my gym comes just to talk. I have never seen him lift a weight. Thing is he comes by himself and goes around talking to everyone. This morning i knew he had no one to talk to and i thought he was actually going to lift. He sat on the preacher curl Machine for about 10 minutes not doing anything until someone came so he spent the next 20 minutes talking to them.
Fucking pisses me off.

A smith machine bar isn't the same as a regular barbell.

Btn on the smith machine is godly, as you can focus on squeezing on that last 6 inches

>it's not like everyone has to lift to 20kg bar is it user

if i do 3x5, do i put in 15 reps or what?

No you put in 5. It's how much you can do in one set.

who fucking cares cunt jesus fuck you OP

Did you skip starting math?

you cuold totally kick his ass dude nice one

I dunno I started getting pubes and my balls dropped around 9.

You're "huge" guys are pretty bitch if they're only squatting 3-4 pl8 m8

Kek

>The following scenario is set at the gymnasium of my collegiate academic institution
>I am an individual who, upon being perceived, provides no visual evidence as one who has ever previously trained in the physical pursuits, and squat approximately 9.64 stone
>Regardless, I progressed there in the full possible range of motion, with my thighs lowered to my calves, and thus I do so with the aforementioned weight
>As per the linked image, I am silently amused when a see the supermajority of my peers (except for a few gentlemen of grand stature who can squat 22.5 to 28.9 stone) prepare the barbell with 16 stone and fail to descend their thighs to a level parallel with the ground

Additionally, these fellows inevitably choose the same weight: 16 stone

Fuckin kek

god damn it

I use it for calve raises

I use the smith machine for seated over head press thanks to a shoulder mountain bike injury. Every time I feel shame and people judging me not knowing the pain I feel both in my shoulder and in my heart.

i'm gonna load up 500 next time i do legs and test this theory

10/10

You're only allowed to use the Smith if you're visibly injured. It's like a wheelchair, you just don't use one unless you're disabled.

Or in a frat, so very good analogy.

Calf raises and working out while recovering from an injury

yeah man. lot's of dudes seem to happen to squat exactly 2 plates. deadlifting exactly 120 kg is pretty common too. they'd be pretty strong if they just programmed it correctly, save for the ones half repping.

it lets absolutely incompetent gym employees "instruct" a "squat"

this is completely possible. Years ago I used to do only quarter and half squats and legpress. I got up to 250lbs before the weight came down and i realized i couldnt get back up. I started doing atg and I could barely get 115 done for 5 reps.

>stone
>decimal point
No. We don't say collegiate in England either you plum

That's a JM press
LooooooooooL

>10 yrs old scrawny boys don't get calluses

maybe stop doing shoulder exercises in general until it's healed

I don't even want to know what kind of mental retardation brought this post along.

Pretty shit/10

That's what she said

>arrive at gym early alone
>brother keeps making excuses not to go to the gym
>hes not going to makeit
>do my warmup cardio before going to the muscle area
>see two old men sitting at the devices I need to use.
>shrug it off and continue rest of routine
>literally hour passed theyre still talking
>they leave after I asked them if they are done.
>all alone in gym
>two manlets come in and head for the dumbells
>one is flexing while the other is doing his thing
>literally no muscles
>they switch around constantly
>quickly finish routine and go home

Am...Am I the only one mirin his dick?

kek'd

Not anymore

Fedora landwhale detected

Asian dyels at my gym believe they are the decendant of some super saiyan race literally put on weight beyond what they can do and attempt to do it with 3 spotters one on each end and one behind for bench and squats. DL they have two spotters.

I started wearing gloves after my calluses exploded while deadlifting, lmao.

that juicy dick bruh

Bong here and yes some places in the England do say collegiate

>2 uni gyms
>one right by the dorms, one on campus
>one on campus has all the powerlifters squatting over 3-4pl8 for reps at or below parallel
>one near dorms has people loading up almost the same amount of weight except everyone half reps
>literally almost everyone half reps their squats at the dorm gym
>so cringe worthy to see fuckers struggling to half squat fucking 1pl8
>so cringe worthy to see skinny phucks half repping 2pl8 and acting like their badass
>it's always 2pl8

Literally fuck uni gyms, my dudes. So many people are egolifters half repping their compounds that it's actually a relief to see someone lifting with good form. I hate the vibes of uni gyms of all these pieces of shit just trying to out lift each other even if it means sacrificing good form.
>skelly Asians wearing tank tops who are "benching" 1pl8 halfway to their chest then walking around like theyre the coolest kids in town
>skelly white guys using their whole body to curl
>that one skelly Asian dude showing off to his girlfriend how he can half squat 2pl8
>all the skelly Asian dudes acting like theyre badasses for just going to the gym

I fucking hate these skelly Asians, holy shit. Why are all of them so stuck up their asses? Both in academics and at the gym. Is that just the FOB culture?

ur supposed to cut them off once in a while retard

L O W E R T H E W E I G H T, F A G G O T !

>scrawny 10 year old

baited me so good

Yes don't ever use the smith machine unless it's for shrugs, hip thrusts, or close grip bench.

Congratulations on your post

What about shrugs?

>benching in the smith machine
>bar is settled on collar bones rather than nipples

REEEEEEEEE

Shrugs?
Seated Military press?

moving weight IS the idea of lifting.
If you want to 'focus more on the chest' just increase the whole rep period and time under tension. yuore obviously lifting too much if you have to use the smith machine, youre weak as fuck dude

I saw some curl bro do his monthly leg day just so he had something to post about on Facebook. His whole routine was about 20 minutes of half reped squats at 1.5 plates while wearing a belt and then followed up by 5 minutes straight of seated calve rises with 25 lbs.

9/11 excellent post

>Kid has severely burned hands from when his abusive father pushed him in a fire
>OP is an asshole

Bravo