Accurate movie?

Accurate movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(film)#Historian_response
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not really. He was never a hero.

>he was never a hero
not what i asked

For Hollywood, yes. Of course it's a total apologist work for the North.

Then again, I'm a union man so I don't mind it.

lol no
>ignores corwin amendment, crittenden compromise, washington peace conference
>thinks Lincoln always supported racial equality when he didn't until near the end of the war when he was assassinated
>totally overlooks the actualy arguments around slavery
>ignores copperheads and southern unionists

>ignores corwin amendment, crittenden compromise, washington peace conference
Because the film took place in 1865, not 1861.

>ignores copperheads
Fernando Wood was a pretty major character in the film.

>Movie made by hews
>Accurate
lol

thats what the movie says you passive-agressive stain

Abraham "send the blacks back" Lincoln

>Because the film took place in 1865, not 1861.
Still relevant to the entire conflict
>Fernando Wood was a pretty major character in the film
>one dude
Eric Foner claimed in a letter to The New York Times that the film "grossly exaggerates" its main points about the choices at stake in the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(film)#Historian_response

The casting was incredibly shitty except for Lincoln and Alexander Stephens (whom Jackie Earl Harley looks exactly like).

They should have made it an epic about Lincoln's rise to power instead of the 13th amendment or whatever.

You're right that the film embellishes things (like the choices at stake for drama, but it's not like it makes shit up.

Fernando Wood was one character but he was used to portray the perspective of the Copperhead Democrats.

No and it was surprisingly incredibly boring.

Pretty accurate, for a big-name Hollywood movie

But accuracy=/=quality. See pic related

>didn't even show Lincoln's murder
I hate how fucking safe Spielberg has become over the years, if he had made it in the 70's he would have pushed for a real brutal film to show how terrible the war was.

>directed by John Ford
I need to see this

I don't remember everything but they made Thaddeus Stevens into a likable guy who respected Lincoln when in reality he was a spiteful old fuck who hated Lincoln. In addition they probably made the Lincoln household much more sympathetic to muh negroes than in reality, Mary Todd grew up in a slaveholding family ffs.

They also tried to make Fernando Wood into a bad guy for some reason.

just read Foner's letter
>slaves were sacking plantation homes and seizing land.
lol what a commie kook. I read hundreds of slave narratives and none of them ever talked about attacking their former masters or his belongings.

>supported equality publicly != supported equality privately

he had to be careful what he said in public

Le wise old man who agrees with me

Accurate but not (and never pretending to be) comprehensive.

Valuable in highlighting two sides of the man not usually covered by popular myth - the fact that a good part of his day was devoted to down-and-dirty politics, and the fact that his folksy persona could be a real pain in the ass for people who had to deal with him.

>I need to see this
It's a bit too gushing and sentimental.
A few classic ford shots, but not one of his masterpieces

Yeah like they're gonna be stupid enough to brag about killing a white person and stealing his shit when they're under the boot of Jim Crow.

And there is at least one known instance of an island (I can't recall the name unfortunately) in Virginia or North Carolina that was taken over by slaves during the Civil War and they killed a scouting party of white men that was sent by the owner to see if his property (the houses) were still intact.

Lincoln's racist lines were given to someone else (after beinf toned down) because Americans can't take the idea of a fucking politician not being a noble guy.

There is no valid argument for keeping innocent people and their descendants as slaves.

>totally overlooks the actualy arguments around slavery
Which are?

Propably the best historical miniseries I have ever seen.

Yes. What happened to the Andrew Jackson show? They haven't even started filming it.

>he's never lived around negroes