Chest Fucking Press

fucking chest press. what do i do when i do 12 reps the first set, wait a minute, do only 8 the second, wait another minute, and barely eek out 5 reps? Is this natural? Shouldn't I be able to do my 8-12 if I did 12 the first set? I really don't want to lower the weight for my second and third set. What should I do?

Rest more. Jesus Christ...

how long?

4-6 mins for high intensity strength training

2-3 min for hypertrophy

Or just until you personally feel you have fully recovered from your last set.

That seems a little much. I mean thanks for the reply buy like isn't 2-3 min a little much?

Don't go balls out on the first set. It's better to cap it at 10 reps if that means you can also do 10 reps in the 2nd and 3rd set. That equals 30 good reps which is more than 25(12+8+5).

And make sure you rest enough that your performance isn't compromised on the next set.
You CAN choose to take the 1st set all the way to failure but then you'll have to rest for a long ass time before you're ready again, and that's simply inefficient. If you like going all-out, what you can do is take the LAST set to failure so it doesn't influence performance on subsequent sets.

Is the first set of 12 failure (i.e. could you get more than 12)? You don't need to go to failure every set. I typically pick a weight that I can definitely hit my numbers for the first 2 set and then fail on the third. When I hit all the reps I add weight and repeat.

Not for a big compound lift like that.

NO, 2-3 minutes at least. Try the full 3

Specifying how many minutes to rest is cool as a guideline, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether or not you're ready. Simple as that.
Some days your interset recovery is better than other days, some days you push your sets harder and need more recovery. If you're world class strong you need more recovery. If your cardio system is awesome you need less recovery etc.

Nah it's not to failure either, I could probably do 3 more desu

*though

I have tried 3 minutes but it just feels like I'm waiting around a lot

>this
total reps over those plus two-three that you could get on the first set

How to tell someone is new: they say chest press instead of bench press

>arnold benching less than i do with a spotter

Chest press is a different exercise friend

pls dont try 1 min 30 sec or 2 min rest so that your 5 sets of bench press doesnt take 30 fucking minutes

if you have plenty of time to workout listen to your body, so rest 2-6 minutes, do whatever feels right

>12 reps of anything

You arent lifting heavy enough

ive been working out for two years and honestly in my book theyre the same fucking thing

yeah but then again i do 5 on the third set with the same weight so fuck me right

>being this new

how's that SS+GOMAD going son

Rest as long as you need to.

What's the indicator that I'm ready though? The muscles don't ache as much? My heartbeat has returned to normal?

Just experiment with different rest times until you find the perfect one for you. Sets should have a consistent amount of reps done each time, so if you are not doing the same amount each time, increase your rest time a bit.