Why didn't neither France or Spain invade Andorra ? Did they fear the Andorran warrior ?

Why didn't neither France or Spain invade Andorra ? Did they fear the Andorran warrior ?

Other urls found in this thread:

history.stackexchange.com/questions/6101/why-wasnt-san-marino-unified-with-italy
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Andorra was (maybe still is), a coprincipality between France and Spain
Think of it as a joint venture, you wouldnt invade your half owned country you dummy

It still is. The President of the Republic is also Coprince of Andorra (on the Spanish side it's a bishop or something)

I've always wondered why Europe still has a few microstates like this. The Vatican I get, but wtf is lietchenstein

Dont know much about it, but from what I know it's a relique from the Austro Prussian war. It is safeguarded by Switzerland iirc

they are super rich tourist trap tax heavens nobody will annex them because cumulatively they would add fuckall to their potential annexor's GDP and basically all politicians have residences in one or more of them anyway

Last remaining Roman province.

Microstates are generally relics of Medieval/1500s-1600s Europe when such states were p. damn common.

I mean, the Holy Roman Empire is essentially a collection of such states.

The archbishop-bishop of Urgell, yes

I think the question was more like

"How did these places survive to the modern day?"

What about san marino?

Relic of the Italian City States.

I'm sure this is somehow related to the European autism on legalese regarding the status of states, or something to do with monarchies n shit.

Had this been Asia, Microstatecuckery wouldve been swallowed by greater powers.

Dude, san marino exists since the IV century

>On July 6, 1934, he issued a proclamation in Urgell, Spain, declaring himself Boris I, King of Andorra and "Regent for His Majesty the King of France." Despite his claim that he was acting on behalf of the French Crown, France had not been a Kingdom since 1848 and he was disavowed by the formerly-ruling House of Bourbon. Skossyreff declared war on Justí Guitart i Vilardebó, Bishop of Urgell and the Co-Prince of Andorra. Two days later, the General Council of Andorra voted unanimously for the monarchy, and a provisional government was formed the next day. The General Council became the Parliament, a new flag adorned with a crown was adopted, and a new constitution was drafted.
>On July 20, Skossyreff was arrested by the Spanish Guardia Civil and deported from Andorra.[2] He was first taken to Barcelona and was to be transferred to Madrid on July 22. However, his transfer was delayed when he refused to travel via train in third-class. When his appeal to a friend to pay his first-class fare did not receive a response, two Catalan detectives accompanied him to Madrid on July 23.[3]

I'm fron Andorra, and i don't know neither

Post on a flag board.

I went to Andorra once, to buy alcohol and cigarettes like everyone. You guys have the most crazy supermarkets I've ever seen. 5 liter Pastis bottles, Toblerone the size of an arm, 100 cigarette packs tied with an umbrella because why the fuck not, etc... Simply hilarious.

lol, are you secretly from the Andorra tourism board? Because it worked.

They forgot it existed
Hell, I keep forgetting it exists

Sounds like a duty free store.

You're god damned right they did, pink skin.

It's a duty free country

Tax havens.

>
>
>

Why didn't San Marino get swallowed up during Italian unification?

San Marino used to be the only Italian City state that didnt persecute pro-unification Italian dissidents in other states/Austrian controlled Italy.

So during the unification their autonomy was recognized by Garibaldi and Italian Nationalists.

>be the only city state to want unification
>end up as the only one stuck outside
History is so great.

For more information, I have this stack exchange forum with the first guy supplying actual documents on the subject. TL;DR San Marino was friends with France and leveraged that relationship to put pressure on a fledgling Italy who at this time needed France to combat the Austrians in the coming wars for Lombardy and Venice. GODDAMN I love the Resorgimento!

*history.stackexchange.com/questions/6101/why-wasnt-san-marino-unified-with-italy
Whoops..