How long do you plan to stay Veeky Forums?

How long do you plan to stay Veeky Forums?
Is this a long term plan for the rest of your life?

Do you plan to stick with this into your 40's despite not having spare time to lift? are you willing to neglect your family and work life in order to stay Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/02/i-am-a-90-year-old-bodybuilder
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do you plan to stick with this into your 40's despite not having spare time to lift? are you willing to neglect your family and work life in order to stay Veeky Forums?
>Implying you will be completely unable to find an hour a day to workout.

Personally, I see myself staying with the fitness lifestyle for the rest of my life but most likely having to neglect my diet due to lack of preparation time.

One of my biggest fears is to be that fat old dad whos balding. Even just the old fat dad.
I remember clearly when i was 12 all the wives at my soccer games would mire one of our teamamates dads big time and he could have not been much more then a 1.5 plate bench curl bro in his 40's.

I'm early 20s so I guess I'll be at this for the next decade.

>Implying you will be completely unable to find an hour a day to workout.
>Exhausted due to family commitments
>Work promotions although giving you better pay is giving you more responsibilities causing you to work later and get home earlier
>Picking up those kids and droping them off
>Insert other activities you don't have time for because work and family

All of a sudden that 1 hour to get to the gym, 15 mins to get there, 15 mins to get back, 5-10 mins to get ready + shower when you get back then breakfast time is not so easy is it user.

Will lifting in your 20's pay off once you hit your 30's and 40's?

I have heard many, many times that once you hit your 30's and 40's unless you were fit before, you will have a much harder time making any kind of gains and those gains in the 20's stack into your 30's and 40's.

or is ageing a meme

Why would I plan in advance to give up and fail?

Then don't give up user.

You can be better then what you are now through discipline.

I sqwat 130kg x 5 a year ago

didn't hit any weights since then
hit 115kg x 5 today getting back into it
the strength stays with you pretty well

>oh lol i don't have time to maintain my car
>oh lol i don't have time to plan for retirement
>oh lol i don't have time to brush my teeth
>oh lol i don't have time to pay my bills
>oh lol i don't have time to flush the toilet

why do you think so many guys invest in a home gym?

and bullshit that you can't find a few hours a week to work out

to quote the great Isai:

>in the future, what do you see yourself doing?
>"Still playing ssb [super smash bros. 64], I'll probably keep playing when everyone else stops. ...I'll just play against the CPUs at that point"

not what he said word for word, but god damn that gets me in the feels every time. I imagine myself as the 40-something year old everyone makes harmless fun of for still working out every other day.
When all my adult friends invite me to some new years party or something, I'll stay behind, and they'll crack another joke, maybe a implicit compliment for how dedicated I am.
Then you'll see a montage of me doing 3pl8 squats effortlessly with sad piano music playing in the background, and at the end there will be no music playing, just silence, as you watch the ball drop for 2036.
The camera cuts back to me, sitting on the bench with the room dimly lit. You hear the pencil etch into a small notepad, logging my progress for that week.

the older you get, the harder it is to build muscle mass, so yes

>why do you think so many guys invest in a home gym?
No spare room because of kids
The inlaws spare bedroom
Living in a time where you will be forced to live in a 2-3 bedroom apartment with 170m2 of space which will cost $1.5-2m AUD

Be real user. Most people will not have space for the home gym if you have a family.

Those things can't be neglected as easily as your health.

You need to do those things to go about your week/month.

The gym would be at the bottom of those activities because it can be postponed unlike say paying the bills or getting the car fixed

Not really what I meant. I understand and accept that I might fail. But OP is asking me to plan to fail in advance - to decide beforehand to give up at 40. I want to know why he thinks this isn't fucking stupid.

I have a strong feeling that once I hit 35 I'm going to tone down the lifting quite a bit and focus more on cardio.

No point in going for huge lifts at that point, it's not like it's good for your long-term health.

My diet will conceivably still be super healthy though... I find eating healthy to be a very easy thing.

>always was really fat
>decided fuck that
>got really fit
>did a lot of shit
>rock climbing
>sailing
>mountain biking
>gf never wanted to do those things
>found time for her anyways but kept my active lifestyle
>the more time I wanted to spend with her the less active I got
>also smoked weed recreationally
>started to think that a snack here and there wouldn't hurt too bad
>rare snacks turned into binge eating due to munchies
>was still somewhat fit but started to gain a pouchy belly again
>didn't care as I had my dream gf and didn't see a reason to watch out for what I ate
>weight gain never stuck too long anyway
>broke my toe
>a week after it healed went bouldering
>intense stinging pain
>afraid of rock climbing and bouldering for a long time
>gf broke up with me in a really shitty way
>found solace in seclusion, weed and eating a lot
>ate even more
>played lots of vidya
>secluded myself from friend circle which was more active and did more and more with the sedative friends
>whatever makes me feel goood right?
>feel like shit after half a year and start working out again
>something comes up, steady routine is broken, drop gym completely
>more than a year of excuses later start working out again
>all goes well
>still not in the same shape I was before that but "recovering"

if I could change one thing, it'd be to tell myself to never stop doing sports. shit makes you feel good, social and actually more desirable for other people.
I love my neet/vidya friends, but I just wish I still did sports at least four times a week during those gaming binges.
also that I knew earlier that working out is a better cure for heartache than drugs and food.

>The inlaws spare bedroom
Do you think we live in the fucking third world

Home gym is:
- Power Rack
- Barbell
- Bench
- Weights
- Some DB's

You can make a home gym in a 5mx5m room.

And if your a working person and cannot get 500 bucks to buy the stuff, you should reevaluate your life.

You also don't need to go full ham to maintain.

If you have a stressy week just get some blood flowing and your gains will stay forever with ease.

I'm 31 and have no trouble adding muscle - I've added 8kg in maybe 5 months using bodyweight exercises and without even trying.

A study done of men in their 60s who remained active, ate well etc. found them not to have lower test levels. If aesthetics are your concern reduced collagen production (and probably a lot of other things) should be higher up your list in my opinion since that seems to be a lot harder to overcome than reduced test levels.

I wouldn't stop altogether, it's helpful and medically recommended to lift weights moderately into your 90s (maintaining bone density is one obvious reason).

This. You don't have to be fucking jacked, just not fat. As you get older it's actually weird kind of weird to have washboard abs and super low bf % because it implies that you don't have much else going for you other than working out. What's deemed attractive as a mate changes as you get older. However, one night stands probably still work the same though it'll be weird since you'll be older.

It's a little harder, but I'm sure you can do it. The thing is your body literally starts to degrade at the age of 25 and onward. However, it's never too late to start as exercise is always beneficial. Like I said in another post, age changes what is deemed attractive.

>How long do you plan to stay Veeky Forums?

Until I die.

I spent the first 22 years of my life super morbidly obese. 430 pounds at my heaviest with a completely sedentary lifestyle - I was at least 60% body fat.

I found fit back in 2011 and started to turn my life around. We were all gonna make it and all that. I worked my way down to 265 and then fucked everything up.

Broke my body badly, lost the ability to lift, to really even move without pain. I was able to hold out for a year or so, but having had a taste of the Veeky Forums life only to lose it beat me down. Gave in to depression, ate my way back up to 375.

This is my second go at it. Down to 237 pounds - the lightest I've ever been. I weigh less now than I did in the 5th grade.

I can't go back. Not again.

I want to build up enough strength to give me old man strength in future. I'll probably quit lifting so much when I'm middleaged, and do heart shit like running and walking.

>also that I knew earlier that working out is a better cure for heartache than drugs and food.

Isn't that the damn truth.

Welcome back brother, glad to hear you've found your balance again.

some of the ageing processes start when you're about 9 or something like that.

Don't stop bro, you're betting your life here

Wake up an hour earlier every day and stop being a godam beta faggot.

Keep fucking killing it user. I believe in you.

Childless faggot detected. You have to drop the kids off at daycare or at least help with the morning routine.

You are best off going at lunch if you get enough time or buy a home gym.

>I can't go back.Not again.

Motivation

I'm lifting for you today motherfucker

>having kids
Children are stupid meme

Until I'm dead.

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/02/i-am-a-90-year-old-bodybuilder

A 40 year old should be able to buy a home gym.

Bike & rollers
Rowing machine
Treadmill
Power rack, barbell and weights

I'm a medfag, i think it's my duty to be Veeky Forums if i am to talk shit to patients about their diet.

Tbh I will probably cut back to maybe 3 times per week when I am 30+ to simply maintain what muscle mass I do have. But I don't have any intention of stopping any time soon.

I want to believe i'll be lifting into my 60's. But i'm sure once i hit 30 I'll drop out of it or I'll do something stupid to hurt myself from lifting.

OR you get a pull-up bar and gymnastic rings. Doesn't take away any extra space comes in at around 50-60 andd is all you need

this

my grandfather is in his 70s and is only now starting to lose some muscle

>kids
>family

Lmao

How will that ever happen if tfw no gf

I'm 35 and I'm way stronger than any 20 year old I know, and much stronger and more explosive than I was at 20.

For men, your strength and bone density keep going up until you're 40-45 (or at least have the potential to go up). Your cardio capacity really goes down after 25, though. This is why strongmen and powerlifters retire around 40 and tennis players and gymnists retire at 25.

Your joints also take a beating by lifting. Don't believe the may may about lifting being good for your joints. They wear down and don't repair themselves, ever. You'll have cracky knees by the time you're 30 if you're serious about lifting, as well as some pain. Personally I think it's worth it.

Feels bad about my joints. I can tell they will be ruined in 5 years. Should I just stop lifting heavy? Is there any way to stop the degradation

5-10 fish oil pills daily

Is it for omega 3? I'm a vegan so no fish oil for me.
Inb4 don't be vegan

Not really. You won't be hobbling around like an old man, they'll just grind and be annoying, and sometimes you'll have pain. Just make sure to have a doctor check them once and awhile to make sure nothing is tearing.

Also
>vegan
Your joints are the least of your worries.

You will get the life you deserve, stay focused, brother.

Why wouldn't I have the spare time to lift? I can balance work with it well enough right now, and a family shouldn't be that much harder to work with. I'm probably gonna have a home gym so I'll probably workout before bed. And my family will just be aware of my schedule and we'll work around it, just like how I'm sure I'll male sacrifices to go to my kids football games or whatever.

we're all going to make it breh

First four lines made me think you were writing a poem. It got my attention though.

>How long do you plan to stay Veeky Forums?
As long as I'm physically capable.
>Is this a long term plan for the rest of your life?
Yep.

I'm already an old guy by Veeky Forums/fit/ standards, have already been a fat weak sickly guy, got my act together, lost the weight, got muscle, got healthy, am on a semi-pro bike racing team now. I already know what being obese is like, and I'd rather shoot myself in the head than allow myself to get that way ever again. I get too old to keep up anymore? I'll probably find a nice, clean, quiet way out of this life, and call it good -- assuming something else doesn't kill me first. Frankly I'd rather be found out on the roads somewhere, in full team kit, still clutching my handlebars, dead as a doornail.

>having kids
>letting your job consume your life

kek

>all these excuses
>making it
Since youll be 40 i think itll be easier to go to sleep at 10 and you be able to wake up at 6 and workout. These excuses...why?

This is weirdly autistic but inspired at the same time.

>having kids
>having a job
>for some reason your wife is not the one picking them up and dropping them off
>you either never had a father growing up who taught you what a whore looks like
or
>you are cucked and being forced to do housechores

ishygddt

I'm 33 and in great shape. You make time user because everybody else is soft and out of shape. It feels amazing to be in peak physical fitness while men in your age group are slowly turning into Seth rogen.

The public park has free pull up bars and dip bars. How hard is it to fill up a backpack with books and do some push ups? All I see are excuses.

My goal is to get fit in the gym and with diet and then stay fit with sports and outdoors stuff.

>Do you plan to stick with this into your 40's

I am 41, so.. yes.

I love my dad, but he's unhealthy. Don't excersize, eat junk. He had quadruple bypass and kidney transplant. He's only 70 but has trouble walking. My mom, brother and I constantly worry about his health since as long as I can remember. I have a son now, and I swear I'll try my best to never make him feel the dread I felt when they wheeled him in for his bypass. All you lazy faggots need to do is spend 30 mins a day move your body and shut your pie hole every once in a while and you dumbfucks can reduce the chance of those horrible instance by 90%. Also fuck you faggots

when i get fit, i want to stay that way for as long as possible. eventually when i get my own house i'll acquire the equipment for a home gym. when i have children, i will make sure they are active, and when they are of age they will learn how to lift properly. i won't let my children suffer the fate i did of being a weakling, and hopefully some day they will be proud of their strong dad who will secretly beat up their bullies.

My Dad is in his mid 40's, and is fitter than me.
Lifts twice a day, cycles, jogs, kayaks and all that other active shit. He's put himself in a position where he works his 40 hours and that's it. There's 168 hours a in a week. 40 are for work, 56 are for sleeping. The other 72 aren't going to be sitting on public transport or preparing to go to the gym.

You will have time. If not, you will make time.

>Do you plan to stick with this into your 40's despite not having spare time to lift? are you willing to neglect your family and work life in order to stay Veeky Forums?

I'm 38 a and it literally only takes an hour and a half out of my day. My family isn't going to melt if I take an hour and a half to work out, especially since I work out at home anyway. If there's an emergency, then that's different, but emergencies don't happen everyday.

It's not hard

>All these betas expecting to be living the cucklife as soon as the near middle age

Just because your stepdad was a pussy doesn't mean you have to be.

>having a gains goblin with a broken vagoo
It's like you don't want to make it

Don't be vegan, dumbass.

my entire life

yes, my diet is sustainable for life.

Eat more nuts, hemp seeds, flax seeds, wild rice, leafy greens and berries, that way you wil get more than enough omega 3

Plan on staying fit as long as body allows. I imagine down lifts in 40s.
>Implying I desire a work life that takes more than 50 hours a week
>Implying I want a family
>Implying you can't eat healthy and lift with the first two anyway.

>was fat as fuck as a kid
>turn 18
>fall in love with classmate I really liked
>Finally find the courage to say something
>Rejected. Her friends tell me it's because I'm a fat fuck.

>Realize I can never be happy with my current body (something I never thought of before)
>Finally have the motivation to try and start losing weight
>Within a year go down from 120kg/265lbs 188cm/6'3 to 70kg/155lbs

>Skinny but looking good
>Get a girlfriend within a month of first year of college (both 19)
>Wanted to get swole after getting thin
>Lost all motivation after getting gf (no reason anymore)

That was 3 years ago. She is still my current girlfriend and I am trying to get swole now.

But I need motivation and a fun workout to get me going.

Is swimming a good way to train your muscles and gain mass? Or any other way instead of being bored for an hour every day at the gym?

Please I am grasping at straws here.

Calisthenics is nore fun than picking up heavy things and putting them back down, or maybe gymnastics?

Swimming wont get you swole as quick as lifting but it is still great exercise.

Remember, being fit also means you have endurance not just muslces.

this 2bh f.a.m.

>despite not having spare time to lift
>are you willing to neglect your family and work
Your bias is showing. You could take this same question to any fucking board. Go to >>/vp/ and ask them if they're going to stick with pokemon despite spare time/family/work

No idea if i care enough to stay fit. But im pretty sure im never gonna get fat again. Its just impossible once you know about calories.

Staying fit is different from staying a pokemon fan.

Staying fit actually takes some dedication and resources. Like having the time and money for preparing your diet and exercise.

Free time is a resource a lot of people don't have a lot of. that one hour of free time the average person has after commuting working, getting the groceries, reading and answering work emails. Eating dinner is not really that much.

Maybe like exactly 1 hour. If you have kids that hour is going to be invested into them rather than you staying fit.

It's not so easy as you seem to think it is unless you do some physical work at your job.

Staying a fan of pokemon doesn't need that level of dedication. Like I am posting this from the bathroom at work. I could be posting about pokemon right now. But I couldn't exercise right now.

I went through the same thing like 5 years ago. Got broken up with and ended up dating someone with a not very active lifestyle and put on more weight. Fast forward next relationship. Broke up with me in a really shitty way but I knew that time that hitting the gym is a healthier answer.
>looking better and better everyday
>ex is all "why didn't you do this when we were dating we could have still been together"
>im still going to be alone forever and he already found a new crush
>fuck relationships who needs them, at least I'll always have the gym and breaking PR's while ex continues to get fat

>are you going to spend an hour a day exercising for the rest of your life

Yes. Easy question. I already have a job and manage to exercise. If anything I'll probably be working less in a decade.

If my gains and cardio start to die in my 40s I'll go on TRT/HGH.

Recovering fatty here

The weight I have lost so far have made my life a lot better and I'm not even done yet

I don't want to get fat (again), so that's my plan

Plus more muscle mass you have = higher metabolism
Only an idiot would stop lifting weights

>implying you have to lift weights to be fit
>implying you couldn't ride a bicycle to and from work
>implying it's difficult to buy healthier food and more vegetables

That way you stay thin. Not swole.

staying thin is not fit. Being fit is making gains and maintaining them.

definition of being fit:

> in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.

but okay, stay fat and unhealthy, set a bad example for your kids then

I'm thin. Just not fit.

I meant I was swole back in the day. hang out in the gym for a couple of hours every day.

Now all that muscle mass is gone and I am just thin. Staying thin doesn't even need any exercise just regulate your intake.

If it's important, you'll make time.

Being strong is clearly not that important to you right now, so stop worrying about it and focus on the things that are important in your life right now.

i really hope you make it brah

I always plan to stay at least moving on a regular basis.

If I ever find that I stop enjoying lifting when I get much older, or that I'm unable to, I'll probably switch from half-cardio/half-lifting to a mostly cardio regiment.

34 here and this is so true. I work a physically demanding job that keeps me in shape when so many guys in my age group are getting all doughy.

>family

Keep going brah

>implying I'm going to have a family
>implying my work doesn't give me easy gym access
>implying I'm not killing myself at 60

wew