Veeky Forums does anyone have experience with roommates from hell? I need to know how to get this cunt to pay me back

Veeky Forums does anyone have experience with roommates from hell? I need to know how to get this cunt to pay me back.

>stays in room all summer collecting garbage
>doesn't give a fuck about cleaning up and his room turns into a dumpster
>we all have to hold our breath when walking past his room lest we vomit
>meanwhile owes me hundreds of dollars for utility costs
>eventually cleans his room to the point of not being a hazmat zone—still unlivable for any normal human however
>bails to his home state with no reason given
>refuses to return my attempts to contact

This dude owes me $500 for utility costs that he agreed to split, and now he's trying to avoid responsibility. How do I compel him to man up?

It's a bit of a double-edged sword scenario because I need him to pay me what he owes me, but at the same time I'm glad he's not here to turn our place into a landfill

Are willing to resort to violence or intimidation?

Intimidation totally. I had another roommate removed after starting fights all the time via a vague threat. It wouldn't take much to intimidate this guy, but with him gone and with his rich parents I have little leverage.

Post address. Name/Facebook, anything you got

Rich parents. If Veeky Forums starts harassing him and his family I would expect retaliation

Small claims court.
Sue for any legal fees too.

If you have a lease that would help. Otherwise you'll have to try to use contract law to prove an implied lease.

This is why when I rent to kids... I make their parents cosign. I'm in a college town.

Who covered his part of the utilities?
I had a roommate try to squeeze out of paying the power bill, so the rest of us just didn't too. He coughed up the money real quick after sitting in the dark without ac for a day.

I pay for energy and internet, and he pays for trash. Somehow they're still collecting it. I've blocked his devices from the network when he's been behind payments, but now that he's out of state I can't take that route.

Do not touch his stuff, threaten to sell it, remove it from the premises. Get this guy off the lease and out of your apartment as soon as possible.

Once he is gone, tell him you will take him to small claims court for the money and you will easily win. Even better, if he is gone and back with his parents, if they are far away it will be a pain in the ass to come back to town just to go to court over $500.

He can either spend time and money to show up, fight it, and lose, or he can just pay you.

Unfortunately you have to wait either way.

I like this. There'd be some work and coercion involved to remove him from the lease (I'm not the landlord) but this sounds like the best route to take.

If that's not doable though, I would definitely want to go the small claims court route. We stupidly never made a written agreement to split utility costs though, only verbal. Would a verbal agreement stand there?

>We stupidly never made a written agreement to split utility costs though, only verbal
why? jesus you should ALWAYS put it in writing

Dumb college student who was too enthusiastic to be getting a place out of the dorms and relied on precedent

You don't have to show proof of an agreement, it's understood that generally tenants will split utilities, plus if you have other roommates you can show they all paid you besides this one deadbeat.

Small claims court is very easy and designed specifically for matters like this. Some judge will listen to you for 15 minutes and then decide who gets what, 99% chance they side with you.

Ah that's good for the OP then, thanks for clarifying

Can't you sue him in small claims court? I used to threaten my old roomate with that to make sure he always paid, but I don't know if you can actually do that and we were friends anyways.

Nothing you can do.

Roommates and landlord situations go south about half the time. Money this, damage that. You'll never get that money. And there is nothing you can do to try.

If you have ironclad proof you can take him to small claims court, but even then it will take up your time. And if you lose you still have to pay filing fees.

> Rented 6 times in my life
> 4 went perfect
> 1 I had to move out early but made sure I was all paid up
> 1 I paid everything and did no damage, but the Jew landlord made some shit up and sued me for $4,000 saying I didn't pay a bunch of rent and I did damages. She lost in court. Fucking Jew cunt. She was literally a jew. What a suprise.

Some tips, take pictures of everything, document everything. Texts, emails, assume that you will need to take people to court and document evidence of everything.

Sucks man. I've been there.

Dude you either take the highway or walk away.

Tie him up and put a powerdrill on his knee, does the trick like butter. Or if you dont want to get involved, take a loanshark get it from him, or distroy his life with his credits. Your choice

So you take 1 personal day off work and pay a $50 filing fee in order to spend a couple hours at court and maybe get your $500 back?

Why are you fudding OPs small claims court coin? What are you hiding pajeet? Are you the shitty roommate?

Yeah it's not that simple.

You have to wait while the sheriff's dept has to find the plantiff and give them a subpoena. For the case to even move forward, the plantiff must have been reasonably served. So if they can't find the plantiff at all, then no case.

Assuming he gets served, there is still 2 to 3 preliminary hearings where they decide on when to try the case.

Then assuming the plantiff shows up you have to go the whole day to court and when you get your chance, 100% prove the person owes you $500.

I make $500 a day at work. I would not waste my time with a small claims case unless someone owed me $2,000+ dollars.

Just saiyan.

theres no other option OP. You must find and kill him

Oh I almost forgot.

Even if you WIN, unless the plaintiff willingly pays you (which they won't). You need their bank account info, and you can go to the bank with a court order for the funds.

If the plaintiff is smart they'll just switch bank accounts after the case and you'll never find who they bank with, to get your money.