Reminder that Germany got off incredibly light compared to Hungary and Turkey

Reminder that Germany got off incredibly light compared to Hungary and Turkey.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_Uprisings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Hungarians didn't even form a plurality in any of the regions that were taken from them
>Meanwhile Germany lost Silesia, West Prussia, Danzig, Eupen-Malmedy, and Alsace-Lorraine, all of which were majority German
Uh huh, whatever you say Laszlo

Turkey might have gotten a worse punishment but it fought its treaty and undone, it lost everything south of Anatolia but that was almost inevitable

Love how areas that are clearly majority non-German in 1910(as proven by the Austro-Hungarian census of 1910) are presented as German by the German 1910 census despite those areas not even being part of Germany at the time.

Top kek

>West Prussia
You wish.

The German census of 1910 obviously only included Germany, if anything the creator of that map you object to is at fault. Though perhaps his goal was marking areas outside of Germany, where Germans were a significant minority. Some of those areas had more Germans mid-19th century, their proportion declined everywhere

>Hungarians didn't even form a plurality in any of the regions that were taken from them
You clearly didn't look at that graph very long. Or you don't understand the meaning of the word 'plurality.'

Basically your map is shit, quotes a source that has nothing to do with half the areas marked on that map and now you're deflecting to some 19th century bullshit story about more Germans being there but somehow disappearing despite the fact they were the dominant political force in the areas we're talking about and even conducted censuses (language of daily interaction as opposed to mother tongue) so as to increase the number of German speakers.

Cool.

The whole province of West Prussia was majority-German in the 1910 census, though some of the mostly German speaking districts in the East and West of the province were not ceded to Poland. Graudenz and the mixed area around Thorn became Polish however.

Kashubians are Germans according to you?

I didn't post the map. I was saying that it's nonsense to blame the German census and I was trying to explain the possible reasoning of the creator of the map.

As for the demographical decline of dispersed German minorities in Eastern Europe, it is a fact. They tended to have lower birth rates and there was also assimilation to the majority. It is not true that Germans were the dominant political group in all those areas, i.e. in Hungary after 1866 and also in Galicia, where Poles became the dominant group after 1866. In Bohemia and Moravia, some urban German populations saw relative decline due to Czech immigration from the countryside, also the status of Czechs improved.

But mainly Hungary was affected.

No, but Germans (without Kashubians) were the majority in the province in 1910. But as I said, not the whole province was ceded to Poland.

As for birth rates in Austria (not considering the Hungarian half), see pic related

They weren't majority. It's a made up pro-German census.

Why didn't they make Posen or Upper Silesia majority German while they were already at it?

Because everyone would call them out on their bullshit. Silesia wasn't majority German either, but they rigged the votes by bringing Germans born in Silesia from all over Germany to vote.

your whore mother will die in cancer

And in West Prussia nobody called them out?

>Silesia wasn't majority German either, but they rigged the votes by bringing Germans born in Silesia from all over Germany to vote.

If you're talking about the plebiscite in 1921, people who were born in Upper Silesia and had moved to other parts of Germany did vote in larger numbers, I don't see anything wrong with it btw.

Of course you don't. Muh grossgermaniums.

alsace-lorraine is French

Well, if you move to another country you're also still allowed to vote in your homeland.

Ohh, I don't know. Because they don't live there anymore and don't know the current situation?

Why would they be allowed to speak for the rest that actually lives there? The votes were rigged.

>As for the demographical decline of dispersed German minorities in Eastern Europe
>it is a fact.
Except when its not, right?

>As a result of the rise of German nationalism, which entailed germanizing school networks, economic coercion, and language shift for economic or social reasons, the number of Slovenians in Slovenia went from 96% in 1846, 85.5% in 1880, 84.6% in 1890 and 87.3% in 1900 to 81.7% in 1910. These developments were particularly visible in southern Carinthia, today mostly a part of Austria.

Carinthia in particular went from ~130 thousand Slovenes in the 19th century to ~70 thousand in 1910.

t.slovenian

>muh birth rates
>what is immigration
>what is germanisation
Meanwhile the Austrian censuses did not count ethnic groups, nor the mother tongue, but the "language of daily interaction"(Umgangssprache) whilst in those same areas German was the official and administrative language barring anyone that did not speak it from higher education and government offices. What this means, in TL;DR form, is that a Czech working at a government office was considered a German speaker as he spoke German in his daily interaction. I can only assume it is the same for Germany as there is clearly a million Poles lacking in the Rhur region that immigrated there-apparently only immigrants of German background can be counted in censuses abroad and not vice-versa for foreigners in Germany.

That's your opinion, but I note that it's common practice everywhere to let emigrants participate in elections of their home countries. People still have an interest in the fate of their families in their old homeland, and they might go back when they're older.

Also, as far as I'm informed the German side would have still won even assuming that all emigrants voted for Germany.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesian_Uprisings

I was talking about the *dispersed* German minorities in Eastern Europe, I'm aware that the number of Slovenians in Carinthia declined because the circumstances were entirely different, i.e. Slovenians were a minority in the crown land without any larger cities or institutions. To a lesser degree this might have happened in Styria, too.

I'd be interested in statistics for Carniola, I feel that the proportion of Slovenians there should not have declined given their growing cultural influence in the late 19th/early 20th century.

And?

People clearly were fed up with German rule.

Some were, not all. There was a polarization, as evidenced by the results of the plebiscite (even discounting emigrants)

>I was talking about the *dispersed* German minorities in Eastern Europe
Now, if you want to talk about German minority communities in Ukraine, be my guest, but clearly that's not what we're discussing as those areas are not disputed, even by the most far of German nationalists, as being majority German.

>Slovenians were a minority in the crown land without any larger cities or institutions.
You mean, after they were shut down by German nationalist movements in the mid 19th century? Because that's what happened, most schools that were based on the native language of their pupils were closed or turned into bi-lingual schools where German became the main language. As for cities, both Klagenfurt (Celovec) and Villach (Beljak), among others, were bilingual as attested by things such as newspapers, and prominent individuals of both nationalities working and living there, in fact, the first Slovene publishing house was founded in Klagenfurt.

But it's literally the same story in, for example, Silesia as is in Carinthia - these areas were becoming more German than they were a century ago - not less, which is also what you'd expect in a period of nationalism where Germans held political dominance and in which the German language was the lingua franca leading to assimilation. Again, Carinthia is notable to point out here as there are were no significant emigration or immigration to the area yet the demographic picture changed dramatically within a couple of generations.

>but clearly that's not what we're discussing as those areas are not disputed

I don't know what you were discussing. I was talking about German-language communities without a connection to the German-language area, e.g. in Hungary or Galicia or to a lesser degree Inner Bohemia.

>You mean, after they were shut down by German nationalist movements in the mid 19th century?

Yeah, Slovenians were the minority in the province and thus subjected to assimilationist pressures. Those policies benefited from the weak position of the minority. The presence of Slovenians in larger towns does not change the fact that they were culturally and socially dominated by Germans for a very long time.

>I don't know what you were discussing.
So then why did you reply to my post?

>Yeah, Slovenians were the minority in the province and thus subjected to assimilationist pressures.
That's wrong and that "thus" is laughable. They were not subjected to assimilationist pressures because they were a minority but because they were not Germans. Period. German majority and Slovenian minority were not the status quo which you pretend they were, especially in Carinthia and Styria and both historical and linguistic sources attest to that. Likewise is the case in much of the land the Austro-Hungarian and German empire owned in places such as Poland, those areas were subject to German migrations to the point that they became a majority coupled with the fact they were the dominant political force and had socio-economical advantages which could be attained trough assimilating resulted in increasingly large numbers of population assimilating trough time. That is not to mention gerymandering and faul play.

To try and frame it in a manner of assimilation happening because of the status of being a minority is retarded.