How come people in Africa have to deal with shit like lions, elephants, rhinos, etc...

How come people in Africa have to deal with shit like lions, elephants, rhinos, etc, while people the people that went the Americas from the land bridge literally caused a mass extinction of all large ice age animals. In some ways much fucking worse than what we have in Africa I'm talking about short-faced bear, dire wolves, American lions, saber toothed cats, mammoths, American camels, woolly rhino, ice age bison, like these things fuel nightmares and the natives had to kill them with not guns, but spears, bows and arrows, and some fire. Not only did they defended themselves but they out-competed other predators, being such good killers they killed off entire species of herbivores which killed off all the badass predators was talking about.

Is this the reason why native Americans were so concerned with the preservation of nature, because they saw the destruction they caused and learned they could only survive if they take only what they needed. Generations of natives were taught to preserve nature and were told stories of the great slaughter until the stories faded away over thousands of years and all that was left was a culture that respected nature. Were the natives just as bad as people today?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/a/myndrs.com/file/d/0B0xYNfN07VkueFpoMkZJblQ4YVU/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds like a good thesis or researching question to address for a book or even a novel.

Perhaps a doctoral thesis, if you plan on getting a phd in History.

Its a question and topic I have never read about or heard of, but I'm not an abide reader on Native American/ Pacific Islander history.

Provable? I cant call it, seems like too many missing pieces since not much is known about this time period except for the ever increasingly important archeological evidence that is found the more people ask these questions.

The fact that we still live in a eurocentric world doesnt help either. I hope you have a passion for this question and are still young because we need people like you user to research these questions and find answers to shine some light on the dark ages of early pre Columbian history of the Americas

Did Africans ever develop spear throwers? A quick google search indicates no

I'm pretty sure environment changes were also responsible for certain animals to be wiped out as well. If anything it shows mankinds tenacity for survival amongst such beast though I often wonder if some of the animals could of made it to present day. Things like saiga antelopes roamed during those times.

It's seems like sound reasoning just one flaw, the natives weren't environmentally conscious. They wasted shit tons of land and resources. Most eastern tribes would slash and burn farm, while plains nations would mass slaughter buffalo

it wasn't really human activity that killed off all those species, it was changing climate

Last year my school (a Catholic Private school) had a project where we made magazines about the first crusade. I figured some of you guys might be interested in it so here's a link drive.google.com/a/myndrs.com/file/d/0B0xYNfN07VkueFpoMkZJblQ4YVU/view?usp=sharing
(pic related is the front page)

My bad, meant to post this as an OP

It was both you dim cunt, dont try sentence jizzing things.

We still have american lions. They are called mountain lion, puma, or cougar.

Large animals are vulnerable during their long childhood, easy to exponentially eliminate a population.

Nothing similar to humans lived on the continent. Apes and monkeys co-evolved with African animals, they already evolved to survive us. Not so in the Americas.

Disease and of course, climate change could also be a factor. The ecology was very different back then.

I think you meant "avid reader".

But I agree.

The hypothesis is that species in Africa developed anti-predator - anti-human predator - behaviour. In other parts of the world didn't have that chance. Africa has a longer history of predatory hominids.

And it seems to be agreed humans did indeed cause the extinction of megafauna even if climate may have a role in it.

>Is this the reason why native Americans were so concerned with the preservation of nature, because they saw the destruction they caused and learned they could only survive if they take only what they needed. Generations of natives were taught to preserve nature and were told stories of the great slaughter until the stories faded away over thousands of years and all that was left was a culture that respected nature. Were the natives just as bad as people today?
Completely retarded.
>the natives had to kill them with not guns, but spears, bows and arrows, and some fire
You do realize that we hunted animals by running them to exhaustion right?

Natives didnt cause no mass extinctions you retard, the biome of North America changed in the last 100,000 years from a temperate savanna to a deciduous forest landscape where shit like camels, cheetahs or lions cannot thrive thus went extinct you fucking retard.

The presence of megafauna and giant herds in Africa and North America may be one of the reasons why sub-Saharan Africans and Native Americans were not as advanced as Europeans and Asians. They were able to sustain the hunter-gatherer lifestyle for much longer and by the time they had to switch to agriculture, they were already centuries behind.

its actually somewhat of a meme that native americans have always been "environmental". Before manifest destiny and the slaughter of buffalo there are many examples of native americans being wasteful.

For example: that myth about plains indians using almost every part of every buffalo killed only started when they became rare. Before that native americans had no conception of a limited amount of buffalo (they were more ubiquitous than practically any other animal on the plains) and to many plains nations it just did not matter how many they killed there would always be more. Many early settlers and trappers would note of piles of rotting buffalo corpses on indian trails

also using native americans as "environmentalists" is somewhat of a green propaganda. Native americans today aren't super green themselves, sure there was that oil pipeline fiasco several months ago, the Arapaho and Shoshone have killed off practically all game that lives in their little wind river reservation. They kill off any game that has the misfortune of wandering into it as well. Native americans are not conservationists now and only were in the past when resources were scarce

Love it op open a thread

they were never na'avi, hunters all over the world try to prevent overhunting, Norman barons would try to prevent poaching, it is standard practice and sterile Anglo rationalism explains it fully with the tragedy of the commons, it is in fact an argueent in favor of capitalism
there were few places suited to the kind of intensive agriculture and populations grow to fit resources anyway so that can't be

its any indigenous culture that is concerned with preservation of nature. As far as I'm aware. Germanic people refused to go further then strip farming because muh sacred forest muh horticulture

You just explained why. In the Americas these animals could not co exist with humans, or rather humans could not with them, so humans literally killed them all.

While in Africa, lions and crocodiles do not infringe much on humans, and human not much on them, because they are smaller and less threatening.

Native Americans were not particularly concerned with preserving nature any more than any other primitive native people. That is just a modern stereotype.

Well yeah, that too. Didn't say it's the only reason.

Why just post a sad meme instead of a real argument?
???

>Its a question and topic I have never read about or heard of, but I'm not an abide reader on Native American/ Pacific Islander history.
Really? I'm not trying to be a dick at all, but this isn't usually seen as some big mystery.

The answer is this.
Exactly this. Similar to how Galapagos animals are relatively unafraid of humans, the American megafauna did not have sufficient defenses.

There are dissenters, but in general, the consensus is that humans were the greatest cause of the megafauna extinction, although that doesn't mean they were the only one.

>caused a mass extinction of all large ice age animals.
not even true user.

>because they saw the destruction they caused and learned they could only survive if they take only what they needed.
>generations of natives were taught to preserve nature and were told stories of the great slaughter until the stories faded away over thousands of years and all that was left was a culture that respected nature

This
I havent heard a theory that involves how stories were passed down and connected historically with actual events instead of just refering back to the tale that was told.
I have heard on multiple occasions how biblical events are connected with historical events, as well as American Flood stories, however none involving mass extinction and its connection to the Native beilefs and tales told of how to preserve and use all things when and if possible.

>We still have american lions. They are called mountain lion, puma, or cougar.
"American lion" refers to a different, extinct species, though.

>believes in Blitzkrieg theory
>calls other ideas dissenters
Wew lad drink your milk and open up a book

Didn't know about American camels. Don't know if they'd be as much a menace. A stampede of Bison latifrons would be terrifying.

It's not a lack of knowledge, it's a lack of need.

Don't need spear throwers for hunting when your prey is abundant enough to kill with just a spear.

Don't need spear throwers for war when there really aren't any large kingdoms to fight each other.

Don't forget about all that Amazonian megafauna,

Shit was cray.

>overhunting meme

honestly i feel like its white guilt that makes it so effective, only in America do we really see conquered peoples as being the morally upstanding group. All other whites and fellow environmentalists refuse to acknowledge that native americans were just genociding each other (I will say that this: not all groups deserved what happened to them like the cherokee, but few native american tribes were not fucking around)

The arrival of humans there is believed to have occurred at more recent times though. By then the megafauna was probably extinct.

there were lions in ancient Greece, and rhinos in ancient China

It's pretty simple actually. America belongs to Amerindians the same as europe belongs to europeans.

As a guy who is deeply interested in this stuff, the main consensus is "climate change started happening, weakened the biome, then humies came along, and knocked the megafauna(which was not shy about us, unlike old-wordler beasts) beyond recovery".

Also, African fauna took a toll as well.
I recall some white hunter asking some local king to hunt elephants, and the guy laughed, since the only place those things werent extinct was some land even the natives found hard to live in.

And huge-ass eagles and moas in certain islands.

africans didn't need to sacrifice god knows how many lives everyday because their fear that if not the sun would dissappear, Aztecs didn't fuck around

China also had elephants, there are still a few in South China I reckon

The suggestion I heard was that Africans evolved alongside large prey, and the prey learned how to live with them. In the Americas, you have an invader species (humans) coming in all of a sudden to animals that have never encountered humans before.

I'd be surprised if they're still around. The Chinese are still primitive in their medicine, seeing that they still use Rhino horn and shark fins in medicinal "elixirs".

., the african flea is the problem , africans during obama wanted african linked coding to be cleaned , but are so overheated they forgot the rules from the africna republicans that stated , they are from africa , and the fleas are a problem not to forget , and if sid died , he died to african flea related complciations , please help to end the african flea problem ( that is where the genitals are being lost , to african fleas ) , this is no cost information , thanks be to our only true friend , the divine infinite unity , the difinity , The Difinity , The Delta-Difinity , Θε Δελτα-Διφινιτυ !.

., africa must end the african flea problem to evolve , learn africa that african fleas are the problem , and african awe must be to help end the african flea problem , so africa to survive !!

??? Africans have fleas ???

Good to know?

Lazy niggers, wouldn’t even lift a finger to stop the sun from going out

>killed all the predators
>what???

The proto-native Americans came over during the ending of an ice epoch. It was this ice epoch that the mega-fauna thrived in and were adapted to. As that environment gave way many if those species struggled to the point that even moderate hunting of those threatened species led to extinction.

Its not accurate to just say the wild mongo-Asiatic migrants just went kill crazy and executed every last mammoth and saber tooth cat. They certainly didn't have any trouble killing whatever they found but the environment those animals were specialized for collapsed as the humans arrived. Could the Saber cat and mammoth survive if no humans arrived? Who can say.

But dont pretend like there was somehow no predators left. North America still had large predator cats the Mountain Lion and Jaguar. There were still ample buffalo, even though the mega variety was gone.

>Don't need spear throwers for hunting when your prey is abundant enough to kill with just a spear.

This is fucking retarded bullshit. You seriously believe hunting was so easy in Africa they simply couldn't be bothered to make it easier?