Orthodox architecture appreciation thread
I'll start:
>agios minas, heraklion

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mAz50pZn6Ys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alexander Nevsky cathedral, Bulgaria

Agios Pavlos, Thessaloniki

Greece needs a serious infrastructure overhaul. These buildings cannot be surrounded by such urbanization

Coming in with the BIG GUNS
>Kronstadt naval cathedral, St. Petersburg

>tfw you will never walk into Hagia Sophia for the sermon with your fellow rhomaioi

Alright guys, 5 posts before the thread got derailed, that's pretty good but show's over, it was nice while it lasted.

>Temple of St. Sava, Belgrade

Hahaha nice try, Latin
>most prestigious orthodox college in phanar, istanbul

>Church of Saint Mark, Belgrade

Can someone edit out the buildings in the background of this?

Lovely, get ready for this banger
>Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem
>Jesus's tomb is here
Nuf said

I'll trust you guys to keep it alive until tomorrow. There'll be more eastfags awake and ready to jerk it by then.

i think im attracted to this building

What's the history behind this place?

It's a school for the rum population of turkey

I won't pollute the thread with catholic cathedrals but ffs this architecture is fucking lame. It always look like concrete modern shit.

Cathedral of The Holy Trinity in Buenos Aires, I was baptized there.

not a real picture but still

>Novgorod Dormition Cathedral

my bad, Sophia cathedral. w/e it's the famous one

Am I doing it right?

A rich Greek dude built it in the 1800s for the Orthodox population of Istanbul which used to be much bigger than now. It had somd pretty crazy facilities and is said to be the 5th biggest castle like structure in europe.

Just because it's not g*thic or "neoclassical" doesn't mean it's boring. Ignorant, cunt.
>cathedral in galati, romania

this thread will live

>tfw you will never save the Balkans from Greek incompetence

Well hello my fellow gyppo countryman

tfw you will see C*tholics get purged in your lifetime

Much better explanation, tah
Was this the one academy that was closed by the Turkish government?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was once closed. But not even the Turks are that retarded to sabotage such a monument. It operates to this day with the same purpose on the condition that a few of the professors are Turkish and the students learn Turkish language as well. Other than that, everything else is greek/orthodox dedicated.

>MOSKVAAAAA

All i can think of is tetris

Out of the way, newfags.
youtube.com/watch?v=mAz50pZn6Ys

>St Clement of Ohrid

This thread deserves more
>st michaels cathedral, izhevsk, russia

One day, user, one day...

ugh...

Cannons > church bells

I don't understand your discomfort

>Ostrog monastery, Montenegro

I've always wanted to visit places as such, where they incorporate hostile landscapes as part of the monastic complex like meteora. But the best pilgrimage would have to be Mt. Athos just because of the sheer cluster of monasteries and it's significance.

>simonopetra, mt. Athos
>tfw on the edge of the world

>There will never be a story about a Byzantine ninja trained by the monks on mt. Athos

Fuck!

That's where you're wrong, kiddo
>tfw all monks must graduate mandatory martial arts training

Bump

Kazan Cathedral, Saint Petersburg

Saint Isaac's Cathedral

St. Ivan Rilski Monastery, Rila mountain, Bulgaria

They just copied St. Peter's basilica!

Kazan Church, Irkutsk, Russia

>Etchmiadzin Cathedral, Armenia

1700 year old Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in Georgia

why is there such a difference in style in these from these colorful beautiful buildings
to rather normal cathedrals that remind me of more western styles like
do they serve different purposes or is it a regional thing?

Dude, are you like, fascist or something and dont let people build whatever they want whenever they want

It's regional. They're all derived from Roman/Byzantine architecture which diversified in different regions. The overly-colourful stuff also tends to be much more modern.

It is extremely regional. Catholic cathedrals have a distinct style that is replicated all around Europe. Due to Orthodox autocephaly all around the world being different and the liberal styles of cultural incorporations permitted ever since byzantium, different races ajd ethnicities were always allowed, if not encouraged to make their own mark on the religion. You will see extreme contrasts from original byzantine architecture in the balkans, colourful northern slavic and russian mega-churches and ancient caucasian proto-buildings as well as oriental Coptic/Oriental styles. Pagan designs and regional culture was heavily incorporated into the religion.
>pic related is coptic district in Cairo

t. Never been to a Greek city
Every major city is packed with shitty appartment blocks that they were forced to build, especially after the huge population exchanges and so on... it looks terrible and was never planned. You have no idea how cities work, you need planning permission in most countries but Greece was messed up in it's urbanization.
>are you fascist
No, you just have autism

Hagia Triada, Istanbul

Holy Trinity Church in Gergeti, Georgia

Bolshoy Zlatoust Tower, Nizhegorod, Russia 1910.

Kizhi wooden Church, Republic of Karelia, Russian Federation.

That's some crazy landscape famalam
>convent of st. Nektarios, Aegina, Greece

1700 year old Panagia Ekatontapiliani, Patmos, Greece

>Interior