Book Thread

We had a really great book thread going for a bit there. Let's get it going again.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Ancient-Greece-Prehistoric-Hellenistic-Second/dp/0300160054/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N7BJQYX98HA1SM82VEYP
mega.nz/#F!8wI0iAbK!H5mfo6CnivegkGkulyTuBg
mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA
pastebin.com/VyMcDNDv
pastebin.com/Qn4WFh81
pastebin.com/1Zkv6UHz
pastebin.com/svYZsmEQ
pastebin.com/PPw0TY0R
pastebin.com/kAczUR03
pastebin.com/maWbESL3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

has anyone made a flow chart for after the Romans?

Guys, I really want to have a great understanding of my countries founding. What are some good books on the American Revolution/the founding fathers?

here's something about New England

Mormon is kinda American in a sense. Not exactly founding tho

There's some American stuff on the bottom of this

hows this greek history book??
amazon.com/Ancient-Greece-Prehistoric-Hellenistic-Second/dp/0300160054/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N7BJQYX98HA1SM82VEYP

Bump

Are there audiobooks? Call me a retard, but I find it easier to understand and easier to remember if I hear stuff.

Help me Veeky Forums-bi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

I'm looking for an interesting ancient writer writing about the roman state that I haven't read yet. I'm looking for an audiobook as I for some reason struggle to just read this sort of thing. Thus far I've listened to Julius Caesars commentaries on the gallic wars, Livy, Tacitus, Suetonius and probably some other guys that I currently can't remember.
I know that I still have Josephus to read, but on the surface the jewish war doesn't seem that interesting to me but I ofc could be mistaken so I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on it either. The Secret Histories by Procopius seems quite interesting but I'm somewhat worried that it will read like a gossip magazine. If so then the Wars of Justinian might be a more interesting 'read'.
I might also try my hand at Mary Beard's SPQR.
If there is some other book you think I should give a listen to please let me know.
I'm jonesing hard over here!

P.S. What's up with the captcha not working properly?

Thinking of making a "Roll with the Romanovs" list about Imperial Russia. That is if it already hasn't been made.
Aside from that, I recently picked up "Russian Expansion in East Asia 1857-1860" by Quested. A very interesting and intriguing book, provides a lot of info about Sino-Russian relations and how Russia was trying to play various tricks to annex Chinese lands and try and make Britain and France know as little as possible about what they're doing in East Asia.
I'd say you can make a lot of comparisons between the then Russia and how Modern day Russia justified its expansions. Definitely recommend this book, has me hooked for hours when I start reading it.

>inb4 someone dumps the 100 other images like this filled with books that nobody has read and can verify quality of

Has anyone got any good recommendations for French Revolution and Napoleonic Era?
General histories are fine but books that are more specific would be nice. Thinking of picking up Talleyrand by Duff Cooper.

Interested in this as well

Where can I read Anabasis?
I can't find anywhere that has the whole 7 book series

haven't read it, but seems okay. I think I've seen it posted on this board a few times

>What's up with the captcha not working properly?

It's really pissing me off. Sometimes I have to do it 10 times before it actually goes through. Is this some plot to get more people to buy Veeky Forums pass?

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

I can if you want ;)

>The essential Plotinus
Unless your interest in Neoplatonism comes purely from course work at a seminary.
I would strongly recommend that you avoid this book.
The viewpoint that it approaches Neoplatonism is literally only helpful should you wish to join the galilean clergy.

A much better book on the topic is "Plotinus: or the simplicity of vision" by the wonderful Pierre Hadot.
This book is a great introduction to both Neoplatonism and Plotinus himself, with most aspects of the philosophy addressed in an easily understandable and inherently correct (read: non-galilean) manner.
It gives the reader everything they need (barring background knowledge of the works of both Plato and Aristotle of-course) to move onto 'The Enneads' proper and from there other works of Neoplatonism.

Burke - Reflections on the Revolution in France

It's on the way into the Reactionary rabbit hole, but it'll be a different take on it than most probably get.

That's one of the few I actually own as a book. However it's not really what I'm looking for, as it's not a history. Thanks anyways though!

You are missing Polybius.

The kindle version is under $1.

Oh yeah, how could I've forgotten about him? His book was pretty great.

that last thread was explicitly a chart thread, so it made sense to dump charts

mega.nz/#F!8wI0iAbK!H5mfo6CnivegkGkulyTuBg
in here

Is there a mega folder like this but for non-audiobooks?

mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA

Just watch The Warriors (1979)

Please do make that list. I've been recently getting into the Romanov empire and would love some good reading.

Thanks

new chart on the kingdom of aragon

for you ;)

part2

part 3/3

>jews

ironically most of them deal with expulsion, conversion and persecution of jews

What are some essentials of military history?

desu they've only been accepted the way there are now since post ww2 era. Before that EVERYONE hated them

>desu they've only been accepted the way there are now since post ww2 era.
moreso french revolution onward. interwar period was a lapse to premodern ways of treating jews using modern methods of centralized bureaucratic states

Any good books on the history of CIA? Preferably something really in-depth on how it came to be, the political environment in which it was born etc

Anyone got a reading list about Anarcho Primitivism and similar ideologies? I remember seeing one on one of these once

Anyone got Veeky Forums guides (or just suggestions) on early and middle medieval times? About up until 1599, really.

Anything by John Keegan

I feel like the potential of e-books is really underutilized for history books particularly in terms of maps or charts and making it easy to refer to them while reading

The Glorious Cause and Empire of Liberty

not him, but I've heard from some ex-military guys that keegan isn't as good as he's hyped up to be.

Only a few more days lads. Hardcover makes my dick rock hard

Bump

personal recommendations, miscellaneous 2bh

>Caesar agains the Celts
top notch analysis for all of Julius Caesar's military conquests in Gaul, Britannia and his eventual turn on Rome
analyzes the Gallic Wars through archaeological findings and alternative primary sources
includes aspects of Caesar's life pre-dating his governorship within Gaul

>Great Britain & the empire, A Discursive History
pretty good, dense reading on the origins of the population of the british isles up until the end of ww2 (when it was published)
focuses heavily on the economics of the Victorian era and the political atmosphere of the time, only 200 pages or so, so it's pretty accessible

got the history of the fall and decline of the roman empire on the way now, gonna give it a read after im done with this book on the cuban revolution

Anyone have a good, single volume history of Imperial China?

Any good book on Alexander the great?

That's like 2000 years of history on a 1(single) book

i am an assyrian hailing from northern iran. AMA

There’s the work of Robin Lane Fox, Peter Green and Phillip Freeman, who are the three main biographers of Alexander in the modern era.

In addition, there’s the Landmark Anabasis by Arrian, which chronicles the military exploits of Alexander with lots od footnotes, essays and maps. Read this in conjunction with Plutarch’s “Life of Alexander” and you should be set

Bump

Does anyone have a history of college? I'm curious where this 4 years figure comes from and just how that became a standard.

I know that's not worded right, but I'm listening to a class right now

no go fuck yourself

im sorry, don't go fuck yourself

going to LARP as these being the same person, why the aggression there, user? Have a bad day?

Does anyone happen to have PDFs of these books?

nah, just cranky me waking up from a nap vs fully awake me

It's okay, user. We've all been there

thanks

Anyone know if any other books like Invisible Armies? Histories of insurgency and unconventional warfare

I'd be interested too, but I think /k/ might be more the place for that. Just a suggestion

I've asked /k/ never gotten an even halfway thoughtful response. Usually they confuse Max Boot with Brooks and it just turns into a shitpost thread.

Sounds about right. Idk, come at it from a different angle. Ask them about guerrilla warfare and shit like that and just direct it in the direction you want

I'll keep trying, just thought I'd ask here. Also interested in people's recommendations about ancient/tribal warfare

>Ancient Warfare:
"Soldiers and Ghosts" JE Lendon
"The Complete Roman Army" Adrian Goldsworthy
"Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece" Victor Davis Hanson
Blackwell Companion to the Roman Army
"Masters of Command: Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, and the Genius of Leadership" Barry Strauss

Thanks

>no "the" in front of CIA
Patrician wording, friend. In some particular order:

>Weiner, Tim - Legacy of Ashes
Hands down, probably the best single-volume history of CIA currently out there. Amazingly, nearly all of the craziest shit in the book is on record.

>Riebling, Mark - Wedge
Chronicles the twin histories of CIA and FBI from the nasty power grabs and political infighting, to the successes and pitfalls of various operations from WWII up to 9/11. A must read if you want to understand how CIA came to be.

>Marchetti, Victor - The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence
The fight over the book's publication arguably more famous than the book itself, but still a very solid read into the politics of CIA.

>Morley, Jefferson - The Ghost
Biography of James Jesus Angleton.

>Stockwell, John - In Search of Enemies
Memoirs of CIA's activities in Angola.

>Kwitny, John - The Crimes of Patriots
Expose of the Nugan-Hand Bank.

Stay away from Joe Trento's Secret History of the CIA, there's a lot of dubiously sourced material in there. I'm also not including anything by Philip Agee since he was a paid Cuban asset, but if you absolutely have to read anything by him, go with Inside the Company and both volumes of Dirty Work.

>Valentine, Douglas - The Phoenix Program
>Roosevelt, Kermit - Counter-Coup
Whitewashing of Mossadegh coup.
>Coll, Steve - Ghost Wars
>Prados, John - Lost Crusader
Biography of William Colby.
>Prados, John - The Family Jewels
>Prados, John - The Ghosts of Langley
>Anything by John Prados, seriously. The guy's got a ton of great books on CIA.
>Priest, Dana - Top Secret America
Not strictly CIA, but a nice horizontal slice of the national security state.
>Jacobsen, Annie - Area 51
Forget about ayy lmaos. Try CIA setting up their own private air base to play around with their new toys.
>Jacobsen, Annie - Project Paperclip

Bump

From the Barrel of a Gun: A History of Guerrilla, Revolutionary, and Counter-Insurgency Warfare, From the Romans to the Present
>This book is a much-revised version of a 1975 book, which began with the ancient world but was largely focused on the 19th and 20th centuries. In this volume, the author tones down his praise for the Maoist model and reduces the importance attached to political and guerrilla warfare in Vietnam.
Insurgency and Terrorism: From Revolution to Apocalypse
>Each chapter covers a major feature of low-intensity conflict, drawing examples from a wide range of cases, most of them in the 20th century. The author’s primary purpose is to describe low-intensity conflict, rather than to argue in favor of particular approaches.
Great Guerrilla Warriors
>This is a highly readable, sympathetic account of numerous guerrilla leaders by a renowned journalist and critic of imperialism. Beals had personal contacts with several of the guerrillas for whom he provides biographies.
The Struggle for Zimbabwe: Battle in the Bush
>Well-documented discussion of the war from both African and white perspectives. The authors argued that the economic impacts of the insurgency and counterinsurgency finally undermined white power.
The Robin Hood Guerrillas: The Epic Journey of Uruguay’s Tupamaros
>A detailed history of one of the best-organized and most active urban guerrilla organizations of the 1970s.
Urban Guerrilla Warfare
>This very well-researched book documents urban insurgency case studies beginning in World War II through operations in Northern Ireland and Grozny in the late 1990s. It also includes, among more generally know studies like Algiers and Saigon, the rarely referenced Budapest uprising of 1956 as well as insurgency in Sao Paulo in 1965 and Montevideo in 1963. It is also notable because it identifies consistent trends and characteristics.

Thanks man

Any great books on the military expansionism of the Roman Republic / Empire and how it came to grow from a small state in Italy to basically THE world power at the time?

Also interested in Society and Economics.

Does anyone have a WW2 chart, or maybe some recommendations?
I don't know where to start

For an introductory book, check out “Rise of Rome” by Anthony Everett

Then continue with Oxford Livy “Rise of Rome” (Books 1-5)

Picked up Prisoners of Geography this week, just got around to read some.
The introduction and first chapter are pretty good, I hope it continues. I am a bit worried, since all the reviews only look at this first chapter, on Russia, and how it "predicted" the Crimean situation today.

Anyone else read the book and have something to say about it? I'll continue reading after lunch, and intend to finish it anyway, but I'd like to hear opinions.

This is an old (1940's) book on roman culture specifically.
Of course other things are mentioned, as they influence culture, but it is mostly about culture.
I think its still a valid text, even though its pretty old. Its short and should be available cheap, as the Penguin books were printed in large numbers.

Here's the chapter names, sorry about image quality, its hard to get small font on dark paper to look nice.

Appreciate it, didn't find it on bookdepository though, appreciate the heads up, will look for it.

Thanks, I've added them to collection, will buy them soon hopefully.

>Penguin
*pelican

>geographical determinism

Is this a pen name of Jared Diamond? Why are there so many books exploring this totally debunked 19th century idea?

Why are you reviewing a book you haven't read?

Where could I start studying occult history without going full /x/?
I want to focus on historical accounts and such of various occult practices/beliefs and find explanations for them

Any books on Florence / Firenze, Venetzia etc. during the Renaissance? I've recently replayed AC2 and it really got me wondering how it developed over time.

In terms of society, technology and economics.

Is there is any good book about Knights Templar?

i can't recommend anything personally but
renaissance medicine
pastebin.com/VyMcDNDv
(ctrl f occult, astrology, magic separately)
Apocalypticism, Millennialism and Messianism
pastebin.com/Qn4WFh81
(ctrl f astrology, there's stuff near the bottom on relation b/w astrology and prophecy)
witchcraft
pastebin.com/1Zkv6UHz
renaissance astrology, alchemy and magic
pastebin.com/svYZsmEQ

books collected on the templars
pastebin.com/PPw0TY0R

bibliographes on
medieval florence
pastebin.com/kAczUR03
renaissance florence
pastebin.com/maWbESL3

pic related for venice

bump

Because all the races are the same, don't you know that, goy? The only reason Europeans managed to conquer the world is because of the geographical and resource advantage.

Because the premise is most likely bullshit. Not him tho, so

purple and brown pill