When did we start lying to our kids about Santa?

When did we start lying to our kids about Santa?

what was the intent behind all that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Wq9pPcuGck&t=0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do people still do that? I feel like the advent of the Information Age would have resulted in kids knowing he doesn’t exist/parents not caring.

I didn't find out till 6th grade, about 10 years ago. I had access to the internet back then, but I was still told not to believe everything that I read on it, so I didn't really doubt it based on what was said on the internet.

So kids would stfu and behave during the months of year when they are inside the most happened during Adams presidency

Wait, what? SIXTH GRADE IS WHEN YOU FOUND OUT? You didn't doubt Santa till you were 11?

The same time that (((they))) lied about the Lolocaust and other fairytales spread by (((them))) and like Santa Claus, people grow up eventually and realize that that one man was right about them.

Nice try Santa, making these kind of threads now

It started when he died and a parent found out.

Kek

I knew that Santa couldn't possibly exist when I was 6. I bugged my mom in a Walmart about it until she told me the truth and when she did I ran around the store celebrating and shouting "Santa isn't real! Yes! I knew it!"

Then she told me to keep it to myself and I had to wait until 6th grade for all the plebs to realize the truth

Fuck off retard, NORAD wouldn't track Santa's progress every year if he wasn't real.

Discovering that Santa isn't actually real is like a rite of passage for children when they start to think for themselves.

I always liked how Pratchett justified belief in Santa Claus.

The Jews started it

this, I also think it's a beautiful tradition but then there's always that faggot who discovers their parents putting presents at the tree on 3rd grade and fucks it up for everyone

>age 7, discover Santa isn't real
>age 14, discover God isn't real
>age 16, discover Republicans are corrupt and wrong
>age 20, discover Democrats are corrupt and wrong
>age 22, discover Libertarians are wrong about the free market being a solution to everything

Guess what I discovered last year at age 24

Wow this is surprisingly accurate, actually.

I remember being real into the PC RTS Age of Mythology when I was a lad and then checking out a book about folklore and myth from my elementary school's library, that's where I found definite "proof" that Santa wasn't real because he was in there.

I was the same, only I still believed in him until I was 12. I only found out because my sister casually said he wasn't real and our parents would be the ones to give me the gifts actually. She assumed by then I'd known, but had she not said anything I may have still believed him to be real.

You realized fascism and communism are also useless?

that god is real as can be user?

That everybody is touching everybody?
youtube.com/watch?v=6Wq9pPcuGck&t=0s

Since we are sharing our how we found out Santa wasn't a real living figure stories:

>Be me, age 5
>Staying at grampa's house for the weekend
>he molests me in the bath and later in the bed
>I dont tell anyone
>that Christmas my parents have him over dressed as Santa, I could tell from his eyes and his cologne that it was him
>Stopped believing in anything after that.

That was along time ago, so I am mostly over it. Its actually kind of funny in a tragic sort of way.

Pls just go all out with your grrentext storys guys. Trying to make them realistic won`t work here.

>nothing bad happens to anyone
>because nothing like that happened to me

Maybe you were just too ugly for the perverts and they passed you up for the qt boys? You mad?

Well I can clearly see it's had its effect on you. Do you still refer to yourself as "qt" and act like a mentally ill faggot?

Not him btw.

OP here, since we're all doing this.
my parents never lied to me. I asked them if santa was real, they just asked me what I thought, and told them it didn't make a lot sense.

maybe that's why it's a little bizarre to me that parents lie to their kids about santa

this tbqh

I think, OP, the purpose is to imbue a sense of childhood in our kids. We tend to treat kids as kind of dumber than they are because we like to build this wonderful fantasy into them to make their lives a bit different, easier than our own, even though you won't really be any worse for not believing in Santa. It's all a Coca-Cola marketing ploy anyway, the most successful one ever.

That you're gay

Kids don't handle ambiguity very well until they're older. Most parents seem to let it go when their kids get old enough to stop believing, anyway. I think it's pretty harmless.

Because it's fun.

This
Gen Z here I googled it when I was 10 or 11 on Christmas Eve
PS the perfect age to figure it out is ≈10, give or take. 12 is too old and 8 is to young

I still believe in Santa

My parents straight up told me that Santa wasn’t real from the beginning, although they also told me that other kids believed in him and that I shouldn’t spoil it for them. I never had a problem with it, and I’ll probably do the same with my kids.

>3782036
Messing with kids is fun. It's pretty much the entire reason I became a teacher.

Santa Claus was BLACK

That anime isn’t real?

That all of your "awakenings" are just your narrow perception of the tiny bit of the world directly around you

lol my brother's best friend got a big ass blow up Santa Claus and when he pulled it out out of the box it was black. He put it up as a joke and literally everyone on his block got a kick out of it, black Santa is the best Santa.

Hey Veeky Forums, this thread got me thinking a bit. Anyone else here unironically still believe in Santa, or at least curious about his existence/whereabouts? I know this post will attract negative attention but I just want to see if other boards shared a similar conviction.

So, even though people think it's "established" that adults made him up just to boost child morale, I just don't see the reasoning behind there being this mass movement to deceive children all for no end result. There's got to be something behind the curtain, and for so many families to all come to similar conclusions (about his looks, personality etc) is just too much to handle. I'm sort of caught in the middle right now. I'll have to do more research but I'd be comfortable saying Santa is real to a class or group of coworkers.

My wife certainly has her curiosities just like me, and the presents my kids want keep showing up under that tree so something must be afoot. There's a chance it's her parents (mine have passed) but it's slim since A) they're both rather ill & not working, and B) they're not imployed so there's no explanation as to how they would be getting such copious amounts of money.

Anyone else have a similar experience??

lol

I have 3 older brothers. I never had the chance to believe in Santa...

>There's got to be something behind the curtain
Yeah marketing brainwashing to make people waste money on dumb things

As a kid, I never believed in Santa, even though my parents tried to persuade me that he was real.

i asked a jewish friend if she ever believed in santa (obviously she didnt) but her mom basically told her that she knew a "special secret" that the other kids didnt and not to spoil it for them

God isn't real
>*Tips Fedora*
M'Lady

Christmas as we know it was modernized by Charles Dickens and it seems most of the commercialization came post WW2 although there was gift giving before on a much smaller scale.

In fact it's kind of flipped. There's this idea about protecting kids from the idea that Santa isn't real despite the fact the kids have likely long since figured things out. Like a lot of things involving Gen X and older Millennials I think it's something the parents get more out of than the kids likely in some cheap way to capture the innocent, carefree nature of youth that they've long since lost to the soul crushing drudgery of the modern world and unfulfilling wage slavery.

Santa was real, you can see his relics in Bari. i know he's dead but you guys are acting like he never existed.

>he doesn’t exist

Why are so many people retarded in the internet era?

I figured it out by myself at like 8 years old without internet. I think it has more to do with trusting your parents than information, or maybe both. All I know is that my brother is 2 years older than me and when he found out he cried, and all I could do was cringe at him for being so dumb.

>Guess what I discovered last year at age 24

We must unite the Germanic peoples under one flag.

I turned 18 this year, so I think I can answer this. I actually found out that Santa wasn't real through browsing Wikipedia when I was seven. I showed the article to everybody and told everyone I knew that he wasn't real; my parents made me stop mentioning him from that point.

I really unironically fucking hate christmas.
The atmosphere at this time of year physically disgusts me.

Oy Vey!

>he doesn’t exist

Mine
>discover nihilism freshman year
>life is over
I cannot escape help

Who is them?

>the perfect age to figure it out is ≈10, give or take. 12 is too old and 8 is to young
My parents told me he wasn't real when I was 3. I asked them if I would still get presents, they said yes, and I said "okay" and moved on without caring.