How important is form?

I can squat 135 with mediocre form.

I have a feeling I should work on getting perfect form by squatting just the bar and adding five gradually.

I want to prevent any injury in the future.

Some have told me this is a good way of never getting strong.

Will this be a setback or should I keep progressing with my mediocre form?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-IjZQLZNqSs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> how important is form
Kek

Form doesn't matter as long as you get the weight up

Without form, you'll eventually stall anyhow.

When I first did SS back in HS, I had terrible form and I couldn't get past 185 lbs on a squat due to discomfort and back pain. I'm pretty sure I stunted my growth too like a retard; got sharp pains and dull pain lasting a couple days. Nothing permanent, though-- but a high chance my plates were damaged from shitty form on squat/DL.

Working out again in college, I got to 3 plate in half the time it took me to get to 180 lbs just by not lifting like a retard.

Anyway, you can work on form while adding weight-- 135 is still pretty light. Live dangerously and snap dat back

Get the form down now. I regularly deload and work on form, then work back up trying to make sure I maintain good form throughout. Sure it slows progress but I don't want to visit snap city any time soon.

I've been lifting for over three years.

I have tendonitis in my knee from a combination of poor form and growth plates closing; I haven't been able to squat in over 18 months.

Your choice. But working from the ground up will only bring you so far; You have to do mobility work depending on what you're lacking.

I'm already having discomfort at 1pl8, which scared me enough to consider going back to the bar. Not really sure what to do rn

Something that works well for me is if I feel like my form was bad, I practice at home (watch videos, use mirrors, mobility excercises, etc.) and then keep the weight the same the next session. Most of the time I feel like my form got better and can just move up 5lb the next set, sometimes I keep it there, and when I was starting out I took some off when my form was really bad. If your form is bad at one weight, that weight plus 5lbs next time is gonna be even worse no matter what.
Good form>>>>>>increasing weight

You can always have someone in the gym form check you or take a video and post it here.

Form is pretty damn important especially with squats. You really don't want back or knee problems as you get older and squatting with poor form is an easy way to get them.

There's plenty of youtube videos on good squat form, video yourself, ask someone at the gym, and be conscious of it at all times. Sacrifice weight to maintain great form.

Form for squats is of the utmost importance but you shouldn't get hurt repping 135 while you perfect your form. Stay at this weight for a while. Some quick tips tho
>squeeze your shoulder blades together
>puff your chest out
>it should feel exaggerated especially at first
>find a spot to stare at on upper wall or ceiling.
> don't roll your eyes instead tilt your whole head til you are looking at the ceiling
> take weight off rack
>stance should be a little wider than shoulder width.
>imagine there is a chair behind you and you are sitting in it.
>it may feel like you are falling backwards
>you aren't
> even if you do that's why the squat rack is there.
>drive thru your heels and exaggerate on light weight
> dip til your knees are 90 degrees
Get a gym buddy to watch your form. Use YouTube videos

>how important is form?

You dont look up, you look forward. Looking up curves your spine.

Rippletits says to lookat the ground

>first time deadlifting
>broscientist lifting mate tells me "form doesnt matter as long as you get the weight up"
>start off diddlying half a plate
>getting pretty tough at 60 kg diddly
>broscientist throws on 10 more
>I'm now diddlying more than 1pl8
>I say I cant do it
>bro makes me diddly anyway
>KGRRRT
>ohfuck.jpg
>bro says "doesnt matter you made the rep"
>have to do physical therapy the rest of my life

Form is a meme

Trust me I deadlift a lot

>How important is form?

If you have to ask, don't lift.

>I have a feeling I should work on getting perfect form by squatting just the bar and adding five gradually.

What you should do is READ STARTING STRENGTH. The book, you don't HAVE to do the SS novice program if you don't want to get all big and strong.

The Book will instruct you how to squat. Then you should practice with the empty bar for a few sets. Then you should find a weight that just BARELY begins to require effort. Starting too light is better than starting too heavy, and considering what a wuss you currently are, I wouldn't start any higher than 65 lbs.

THEN you're going to squat, with solid form (it should be pretty close to perfect with the light weight you're starting with, frankly. MINOR flaws are expected to occur when the weight is much closer to a max effort), for three sets of five repetitions, on three non-consecutive days per week, and you're going to add ten lbs per day for the first week, and then five pounds per day after that.

I also strongly recommend you gain some goddamn weight (at LEAST a pound a week, two probably wouldn't kill you), because you sound scrawny as fuck to be struggling to squat LMAO1PLAYT

ALSO, once you've read The Book and gotten your squat form in order, video it and post it here. We'll help, laugh, or do both.

Make a vid of your form on your working weight, maybe its good enough, who knows.

You might also want to wear a goddamn decent belt (off the top of my head, the Rogue Echo belt is acceptable and last I checked was $50, about as cheap as you'll get a passable belt for), and you'll DEFINITELY want some weightlifting shoes.

Adidas Powerlifts are acceptable and relatively cheap, and fit to Adidas sizes, and have a .5 inch heel which is relatively low and best for general purpose lifting. /owg/ has good things to say about the Wu-Rei Warrior shoe, though it's .75 inches in the heel, and I have no idea how you'd figure out your size.

If you have more money than brains, Adipowers and Nike Romaleos are top notch shoes, but both have the .75 inch heel that pisses me off.

you dont have to go up in plates you can use the other weights. its not 45->135->225 its gradual. if you lift more than u can handle, its worse than not lifting.

>find a spot to stare at on upper wall or ceiling.

Do not listen to this blithering dipshit. Looking up when you squat is total broscience, will kill your progress, and actually increases your chance of injury because craning your neck like that could result in a muscle strain, or very rarely an actual cervical spine injury.

No one in history has squatted heavy things to depth while looking up like a complete retard. At WORST they're looking straight ahead. The best squatters usually look downward to one degree or another. The goal should be to keep you cervical spine in a fairly neutral position (AKA: Keep your neck straight).

>deadlifting sub 300kg
>a lot
lmao

Or no shoes at all if you don't wanna spend 100 dollers in shoes
Or shoes that have as thin sole as possible

Form is incredibly important. The only fight you'll lose is the one where you neglect to go into your final form quick enough

How do I stop leaning forward at the bottom of a high bar squat?

Adjust footing, open up your hips, increase dorsiflexion

This was a major issue for me until I focused more at bending at my ankle

I'm really working on my ankle dorsiflexion at the moment. My right side is fine, but my left is fucked. I'll just keep at it.

Someone mentioned when I was squatting that my feet are super narrowly, and I tried to squat with my legs a bit more apart. All of my squat problems have gone away since then.

also having shit flexibility will completely halt your progress.
I've been squatting for 2months and I'm stuck at 75kg, now my hip fucking hurts due to unrelated reasons

Weak core

You're the kind of guy who goes down 2 inches right?

This is good advice. Also, shoot video of yourself. You don't need to post it anywhere, necessarily, but use it for your own feedback.

>a high chance my plates were damaged from shitty form on squat/DL.
If this were true everyone who ever grew up on a farm hauling hay would be a midget.

What is it with people spamming the growth plates meme lately? Baader-Meinhof effect?

>No one in history has squatted heavy things to depth while looking up like a complete retard.
I agree with the gist of your post, but it seems to me that several people have. See e.g. Derstine, Kellum, Thomason, and Milnes here: youtube.com/watch?v=-IjZQLZNqSs
>not saying it's a good idea
>or even that lots of guys do it
>but it's bin dun befo

there ie no fucking point to shitty form or swinging stuff around, there is no tension on the muscle, whats the point?

Good form is what allows you to squat for years without injury and helps you to reach your goals. So yes, good form is important. Good form might mean something different to you than it does for some idiot on Veeky Forums or some internet guru though.

Your spine is already curved you dolt. Unless you have scoliosis.
This is how I was taught in person irl by a professional weight lifter. Not some meme I read about on a Mongolian themed fitness board.

Lol you are a retard. If looking up strains your muscles I don't think you should be lifting. The weight is supposed to rest across your traps. Looking up, down, or straight won't change that. Looking up is just a good way for beginners to keep their center of balance back on their heels where it belongs.
>chin up
>chest out
>feet flat
This is how you properly squat. No debate. No trolling. No memeing.