QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Am I eating alright? Having a hard time making gains.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ
amazon.com/dp/B000VLRVSC
amazon.com/dp/B0012M8PR0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you eating 500 calories above your TDEE? What's your body weight? What's your lifting routine?

You might want to make your own pasta sauce if you have time to cut back on the sodium and sugar, but that's not necessary.

10/10 diet.

If you're having a hard time making gains, don't be quite as concerned as eating so healthful. Add some calories on top of what you're eating, however you can. Try a smoothie.

>You should bulk first
>You should work out and eat first
I'm confused.
I'll get a simple scale then, thank you. What do these things usually cost? Prices are all over the place on Amazon.

Should I go to the gym when I'm sick?

No, I'm basically running maintenance I think. I'm 6'5";
~190 lb;
Stronglifts 5x5

6 months noob here.
I'm getting tension in my neck when using the pec fly machine. It's like the frontal muscles near the base are being pulled down. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

I've been doing Stronglifts for close to 4 months now and have noticed subtle changes. Is stonglifts all you do or do you add other routines to the workout?

I add accessories every day.

Is it okay to replace rows with close grip landmine rows? Normal bent over rows have been a pain in my lowerback/hip and I can't seem to get them down.

Also have limited equipment, and can't T bar or seal row.

can anyone post EC stacks image? googling it gives me either supp bottles or random diagrams

If you do you better be wearing a surgical mask, nitrile gloves and using hand sanitizer as chalk.

Rule of thumb: If you are able to go to the gym you should work out
But don't push yourself so hard
Remember, the key is doing it regulary

It is pretty normal to bot being able to do all exercises without pain
I for example snapped my shoulders so I can only do pulling movements with underhand grip
Beginners often have chest pain when doing dips
You always have to work around the pain
This is all no problem as long as you can do the big 4 without any pain

Different user, but speaking of which, I add chin/pull-ups and dips. I have been doing chins one day and pullups the next (meaning I only do chins every fourth day and pulls every other fourth day) so more than a week goes by between the same exercise. I progressed in chins, but got the exact 2/2/1 (pls no bully) the second time. MY QUESTION is: if I want to do both chins and pullups, is this the best way to do them? Or should I alternate sets of them when it's their day(s)? Do one then the other on their day? Please don't tell me that...

seems like pussy-pain to me and you're worrying way to much. It will pass

>the second time *in pullups*

It's probably just a cramp. I got the same thing yesterday.

Just do DB flyes. Use low weight, high reps. Get form down. You won't feel weird stuff because you won't have a machine locking you down into a possibly uncomfortable position.

I simply don't have the energy to understand you. Why don't you write down how your routine looks like and try to make your question sound easier
>adding dips to SL 5x5
Thing is, you work your triceps on bench and ohp way more than your biceps on pulling movements, even chinups
So to add dips to 5x5, wich is to much volume in my opinion anyway, is just plain stupid

substitutes for leg curls?

>GHR
>squats
>deadlifts
>back extentions
>good fucking mornings god damnit

Been doing SS with accessories but recently tore my meniscus doing something else.

right now anything involving my legs is out of the question. I'm going to keep working with bench/seated ohp/dips/chins/rows.

What other exercises would you guys throw in just to try to slow my loss of muscle while I recover?

backextensions
ab work

I feel sorry for you, man

Allow me to rephrase:
SL is AxBxAxx
Dips on day A. Chinups/pullups on day B.
Have been alternating chins and pulls on each day B so:
DxCxDxx PxDxCxx where D=dip, C=chin, P=pull
I progressed on chins but not pulls after 2 rounds. Should I continue as is?
Options:
Alternate sets of chins/pulls each day B?
Do three sets of both on day B? (least personally desirable possibility)
Drop one and focus on the other? I'd much rather do chins only, but the general consensus is pullups are the "better" exercise.

Doesn't matter so much
Just pull your ass up any way you can bust more controlled reps

squats, deadlifts, back extensions and good mornings are no substitute for leg curls, there's no concentric knee flexion in those exercises

hip extensions? get dem gl00tz boi

Focus only on chins. Heres why
You move the weight (yourself) the same distance in both chins and pullups, but it is easier with chinups, right? And that means, chinups work more musclemass. You can use more muslce fibers and therefore get more shit done
>pullup superiorty
I think the whole "pullups give you V-shape" is a meme. I only do chinups and have pretty wide lats

Pullups look more alpha tho so there's that.

are you
?
You're annoing

what's a "stabilizer set"?

No, but that person is right. Doing more pullups properly will allow you to be able to do even more pullups, and leg curls cannot be replaced with squats, deadlifts, back extensions or good mornings.

>Doesn't matter so much
>Just pull your ass up any way
No, you retard. Always keep your shoulder blades rectrackted and lift your chest towards the bar. Both of these are more important for muscle development than whether you do chins or pulls.

I am a karateka and went to the gym for the first time after a few years yesterday. (And the first time after having discovered Veeky Forums)
I hadn't had doms for a few weeks now after karate training (mon, tue, fri), so I figured I should do something more.
I did:

deadlift 3x8-12
bench press 5x5
squats 3x8-12
cable pull down 3x8-12
dumbbell ohp 3x8-12
cable rows 3x8-12

I feel like I am dying. I crawled out of my bed filled with pain, feeling like an old man. T-thanks fit.

Is this routine ok for a beginning?
I want to change the 3x8-12 to 5x5 once I really get a good feeling for the exercises.

Also: Is this body realistically achievable with this routine? Even until next year?
I am skinnyfat right now. I can do about 45 push ups - which was my measurement of strenth until now - and weigh about 85 kilograms, with about 25% bodyfat right now.

he's not right. your routine doesn't knee concentric knee flexion. the exercises mentioned are perfectly capable of training the hamstrings.

I think I love you. Plus, like the previous user said, I'm getting plenty of tricep work, so I should probably focus more on the biceps, so hello chins!

>Why even do bicep curls? Rows and chins will work the biceps enough

It's called Isolation numbnuts.

Besides, it's not my routine. And learn English properly.

The knee flexion guy is right of course, i was talking about the gl00tz guy
But I realize I'm just being a mad cunt

Hip extension can't fully train the hamstrings, on account of the short head not being used in hip extension. It's purely a knee flexor.

And you're misinformed.

>I think I love you
tfw I'm also the previous user

I'm on a bulk. I've even eating a lot of these, like 3 everyday.

I don't think it's that bad for me, because these 1200 dirty calories are still pretty clean and let me eat another 3800 that are clean.

The REAL and ONLY reason why? Lack of testosterone.
Your sugar intake increases estrogen levels, preventing muscle growth and energy.
Once sugar's cut, you'll get stronger in no time

I eat unhealthy too but today somebody asked me to go on a festival with him and I don't have abs

Oh stahp!

Another question: my gym has only a handful of actual straight chin/pullup bars, and they are either Smith machines or on the one power rack. All the other ones that are more available are those multi-hand position handles that point every which way except straight across. I don't like any of them for chins, (I guess the hammer grip ones aren't too bad) and the most "normal" looking of those (that kind of make a much flatter ^ ) actually cause me discomfort. Are they a meme, or should I work at getting used to them?

Ss for 4 months. On heavier bench press I get a cramp in the side of my left hip. What gives and how can I correct this?

I don't take my shirt off at festivals but I find just being le big guy helps the most.

also festivals are a joke. I have summerfest near me, biggest outdoor fest in the states. Went 3 days and it was lame. I'd never go there for chicks unless I desire AIDS.

I use those unless I'm trying to do muscle ups, then I'll use the straight bar on top of the power rack.

I am in the middle of a cut and am on EC stack with a deficit of 200 or 300 cal. I want to preserve as much muscle as possible.
Is my deficit in a range such that I can preserve as much muscle as possible while losing fat, or is the 200/300 (vs 500) calorie deficit hurting my cutting progress? Would I be losing the same amount of muscle/fat on a 300 cal deficit as on a 500 cal deficit (proportionally), or is there something more optimal?

I don't know shit about this fancy new EC stuff but this all depends on your bf% and training age and muscle mass
I'd say as a beginner you will BUILD muscle on a 500 cal deficit if you don't cut more than down to 10% bf

>fancy new EC stuff
Lurk more, you can only be new.

EC is slightly muscle sparring, you can run a 500-700 deficit fine. Just make sure you eat enough as EC will kill your appetite. Also take your fish oil.

3 years in; there are just some things I ignore

What does 1/2/3/4 mean?

Plates.

1 Plate OHP 60kg
2 Plate Bench 100kg
3 Plate Squat 140kg
4 Plate Deadlift 180kg

It's a decent basic beginner goal

Woke up with a lot of lower back pain, I have no idea what is causing this. I tried foam rolling and I didn't get anywhere. Any good stretches for this? I'm meant to be max effort squatting today and this is making it very painful to bend over.

rest, heat pack, fish oil and anti-inflammatory.

Take today off. Tomorrow do the same, but stretch your hips, glutes and hamstrings to take pressure off of your back.

Make sure you squat without rounding

Are there any books like Starting Strength/Practical Programming that are more about body building rather than strength training?

Not really. There's Anatomy of Strength Training (despite the name, its more BBing than anything else) but for the most part BBing doesn't really do systematic stuff like powerlifters and co like to geek out on.

Is that worth reading? I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can because I want to be a personal trainer but no one that just puts everyone on machines.

It's been a while since I read it, but I recall it being mostly good with a few brosciency bits.

For the most part, the nerdy principles stuff behind strength training more or less applies to bodybuilding. You're just adapting it for slightly different goals.

I might as well pick it up then, thank you.

If I'm skinnyfat mod is it necessary for me to first bulk and then cut? Can't I adjust my diet/nutrition and aerobics to get lean at the same time that I take a protein suplement and workout and get strong?

I don't have farfetched objectives, just want to get rid of the excess fat and put on a little muscle.

In your case, you probably can do that. its limited compared to what you can do with bulking and cutting but if your goals are modest its definitely workable.

youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ

recomp is the new way to go

am I skinnny fat yet?

I was pretty fat in January (178cm 94kg), started dieting and working out. Unfortunately I don't have a "before" picture for comparisson

Not fat anymore. Not saying you look good but you look like your avergae skinnyfat guy, which is probably somewhat of an achievement for you. Keep the weightloss up then start doing a clean/slow bulk.

Starting GSLP. How's this routine?

First time ever with freeweights, currently 5'10", 185lbs, aim is fat loss.

See it for the first time but I like it. You will have great results with it if you stick to it

is eating 500 cals above maintnence a troll? last time i was eating ~300 cals above maintnence and i just got fat while doing cardio 4 times a week

3x5 vs 5x5 for compounds?

been doing 3x8 -> 3x12 for accessories

Eating healthily doesn't impact your gains, only quantity of carbs and proteins will.
fyi to make a good judgement of your diet i'd need to see your breakfast as well
>Your lunch is good.
>-3 cups of 1% milk, +1 cup of milk
>pasta could be substituted for something with similar carbs but proportionately greater nutrients e.g brown rice
>bbq sauce and pasta sauce are fine... but obviously they wont be advantageous
>the biggest problem which I assume is covered in your breakfast is your lack of vegetables and greens

When lean bulking, does a weekly caloric surplus matter more or a daily caloric surplus? I use calorie and carb cycling fwiw.

it's great for beginners. i am on it for two months now, still making linear improvements.
just add the cardio (20-minutes) also on saturday.

Any upper body only full body workouts?

Are you in a wheel chair or 60 years old?

I broke my leg muscle

Test

5'8 bulking, 200lbs.
Lets say i dont have much cash.
How healthy is chicken nuggets from Burger King?
Is eating them everyday bad?

How's my routine? Basically SS but changed a bit given my lifestyle and other hobbies, follows Ss progression though as I'm coming back to lifting after a few months break

A: Squat, OHP, (both 3x5) DL (1x5) chins (3x8), curls, lateral raise, abs

B: Front squat, bench, (3x5) power clean (5x3), dips, facepull, abs

What's the equivalent of 1/2/3/4 for a woman? Just curious here. I'd go ahead and say the number would be 2/3rds or even a half at a rough guess?

Should I put my gf on SS ?
She wants to get a better ass.

women are proportionally weaker in the upper body lifts. maybe something like 0.5/1/2/2.5 would be reasonable.

Should I be hungry when I'm cutting?
I'm 6ft 190lbs, and I'm eating 1600 calories a day.

It's too soon to judge by a scale if it's helping or not but I feel like I should be more hungry more often if I'm eating little enough.

Summer Bloat. Anyone else her notice his phenomenon? I already have IBS and fluid retention (especially post-workout) issues but since this heatwave the issue has suddenly ramped up like you wouldn't believe. In 3 days I've gained 10lbs (10 FUCKING LBS), look puffy as fuck everywhere, feel really sluggish, haven't slept and after one flour tortilla full of beef mince my stomach painfully swelled up to the point I could hardly breath when. Looked like a beach ball like I can't deal with the fructans at all ATM. Pic related before and after bloat. It's so disgusting.

why the fuck don't you just do the normal full body routine, and not do the leg exercise, which most of the times is just a squat deadlifts? replace deadlift for rows or pull ups.

holy fuck is that a normal condition? Looks like an allergic reaction or something, that def. doesn't look normal.

i have muscletech 8 1 1 bcaa. and currently i am bulking.
when is the best time to use it ?

This seems to be pretty common for women (even this clearly fit woman). I already avoid dairy as I figured out I'm very much lactose intolerant (will vomit right after a glass of milk but hard cheese is ok).

I get rhinitis and burning mouth after certain foods but Dr refuses to do any allergy testing. Refused to prescribe Lactaid unless I literally chugged a gallon of milk and threw up in his office (tmi but milk will fuck me up for days after with stomach cramps and diarrhoea)

Dr has also seen my pics like this this. He just told me to deal with it because it's a) a woman thing b) all in my head

Grains seem to be a triggers at the moment but it seems like as the temperature has shot up the problem has gotten exponentially worse. My whole body is puffy with fluid, distinct from the gastrointestinal issues. I've put in so many hours of cardio this week but just sitting here feeling fat and puffy and frustrated for it.

Jesus, get a better doctor user

So I got a pull up bar at my door, and everytime i pass through the door, i do pullups. I started with one. A few days later i progressed to three each time.

All in all it adds up to roughly 30-60 pullups a day.

Is this going to do anything size wise, or am I just going to get really good at doing pullups?

What is the gold standard for cheap at home racks?

amazon.com/dp/B000VLRVSC
amazon.com/dp/B0012M8PR0

You will gain some lat size for sure.
Have you learnt how to spread your lats?

Because then it's only 4-5 exercise. I think it's not enough

This is doctor number 6. It took 4 years for them to acknowledge I even have IBS and found a legit physical problem with my colon. Before then they accused me of lying about fluid intake and exercise because 'young people don't have these problems.' A scan years ago showed ovarian cysts + I have abnormal bleeding and now I'm admittedly paranoid about the C word.

Sorry this is getting off topic. Femanons with fluid retention plz halp