What's better for building muscle:

What's better for building muscle:
a) Pick a certain amount of weights in order to be able to reach the total of sets x reps that you ve been given from your PT.
b) Pick a weight which you can lift some of the sets x reps (ex, 2 sets out of 4 with full reps) but afterwards the rest sets you might do some less reps (ex 12 instead of 15).
c) Pick high weights in the beginning and get lighter when you feel you can't make the reps.

Another kinda different question:
Is it better during dropsets to drop reps or weights?

d) Get a better program
Here is the comprehensive list of what sets of 15 are the best sets at : nothing.
You're obviously a newbie. Go do a 3x5 program, whichever one you like best. Don't trust your PT. If he gave you a novice program that doesn't strongly emphasize heavy compound lift for sets of 5 to 8, he's a cheat and not a real PT, just some guy hired by a commercial gym shit. Don't trust him for anything, including your form.

You don't need dropsets before you're at least intermediate.

And as a novice, you're supposed to add some weight to your lift everytime you do said lift. And to hit your reps on every set, every time (aside from the occasional fluke)

How many reps would you recommend ?
Im actually 10 months in. This is the gym i visit during x-mas/easter/1month in the summer holidays. The gym in my hometown prefers sets of 8-10 for every excercise apart from push ups.

It's literally in my post. 3 sets of 5 heavy reps for compound lifts (squat bench deadlift ohp).

For fuck sake. Just google Greyskull LP and do that.

Danke.

yeah better trust this stranger "ss victim" on the internet rather than a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL
12-15 reps are the best for hypertrophy as mentioned in NASM training and any other serious trainer certification.
ignore this fucking troll.
10-15

That massive post on the very top of the board that says 'READ THIS' covers this question extensively.

Read it you mouthbreathing retard

One PT (I go to his gym 9 months/year) is in the 8-10 reps for hypertrophy.
Other PT (I go to his gym casually on vacation) is a lot in for bodyweight is in for 12-15.

Ofc I wouldnt obviously believe this guy.
But whom of my PTs do I follow ? Should I do the average of both and circle number 12 for every exercise ?

Sticky is not situational.
Ofc good general advice but not situational.
So far we have had 3 options about reps, noone mentioned the sticky.

Also the whole dropset thing is nowhere mentioned and still unanswered :/. Go read the sticky and answer me coz im bored pls.

You are both enormous retards, read the fucking sticky holy hell

Don't listen to your PT and do a real program, like SS with chin-ups and dips added.

I listened to a PT and ended up doing a horrible program on which I made little gains.

yah man 12 is golden.
it will get you moderate strength gains,great hypertrophy gains and good endurance gains.
dont trust the trolls who claim 3-5 reps on heavy compounds is the only way.they're all snapback gorillas who look like fat shits (and they have multiple injuries to prove my claim)

The sticky has multiple routines and a bunch of answers to these questions.

Literally no one in this thread aside from the guy that reccomended a strength based routine has any idea what they are talking about.

>read the sticky for me

Gargle a bag of abortions you lazy cunt, if you can't be bothered to read a couple of hundred words with links to sites that cover this shit better than any 16 year old retard on here then you deserve to look like you don't train.

Nice bait

the sticky is a troll.the multiple snap city threads prove this.
going for SS/SL/TM/Sheiko is only good if you want to be a powerlifter and you care about the numbers you're lifting.if you want to look good and be healthy you'll never even need to use a barbell.try to prove me wrong.

>if you want to look good and be healthy you'll never even need to use a barbell

hey user just stick to machines and go for a run every now and then you'll look awesome haha :-)

There is no poing in trying to prove you wrong.
My point is, why should I trust an IP adress/someone who wrote a few hundred words for free over 2 paid PTs who both disagree with you.
Also in a site full of people claiming their opinion is the true one , like we re talking about religion

i know bodybuilders who compete and have won regional championships and they only use machines and the occasional dumbbell.whats your point?
>My point is, why should I trust an IP adress/someone who wrote a few hundred words for free over 2 paid PTs who both disagree with you.
Also in a site full of people claiming their opinion is the true one , like we re talking about religion
you are absolutely correct.

If you read the sticky, like 5 people in this thread have said already, you would realise it points to professional coaches that have trained people their whole lives and having living proof that their routines/advice are true.

Instead you are browsing Veeky Forums, ignoring them in favour of two PT's that think doing a 10-15 rep range top to bottom is a good idea.

>only machines and the occasional dumbbell
There is not a single bodybuilder who has won anything of significance that wouldn't recommend using a barbell.

>There is not a single bodybuilder who has won anything of significance that wouldn't recommend using a barbell.
Eugen Sandow.90% of his workouts are dumbbell and callisthenics based.and he is the father of bodybuilding.

Except he doesnt have chest at all

Anyone have anything to point on the dropset shiet or am i gonna get BTFOed ?
Bad/Good/Unnecessary/unimportant

Drop setting is just an easy way of fatiguing yourself which in reality means fucking nothing. You can grow without absolutely blasting yourself to pieces you fucking idiot god damn READ THE STICKY

as a pt i've been taught that the best for hypertrophy is 3 exercises for most muscles,4 sets each and 10 to 15 repetitions per set.
Rest should be 45-60 seconds for isolation exercises and 90-120 seconds for composites.
obviously someone on a strength routine would need heavier weight, longer rest and less repetitions.
my personal opinion is that should start with a warmup set of 15 reps and then pick a weight that you can do for 4 sets of 12 reps to technical failure.technical failure is when you can't do any more repetitions with perfect form.so if you're doing curls you want a weight where you can't complete a 13th rep without moving your elbow,using momentum or cheating on the ROM.
hope it wasn't too complicated,my english is not that good

All of you just shut the fuck up please.

Studies have shown (find the sources yourselves, fuckers) that for HYPERTROPHY, the rep ranges does not matter ONLY if you go to failure. Going to failure because you can only do 5 reps on a set because it's too heavy for 6 (aka training for strength) is as good for hypertrophy as going to failure on the 15th rep of your set with a lighter weight.

This is why you see big guys doing endless sets. This is why your PT told you to do 15. because it worked for him.

Is it a possible course for hypertrophy? Yes it is.
Is it the only one? No.
Is it the best one? For hypertrophy only, it does not matter. But by doing lower reps have more advantages. First, you also adapt for strength (which higher reps don't do because you never lift heavy for 10, by definition). Secondly, it's harder mentally to do fewer very heavy reps than to do more lighter ones. Anybody who has legitimately tried both approach will agree on this one. Third, most programs telling you to do many reps usually tell you do to them on isolation/machine exercises, which should absolutely not be your focus as a novice, whereas no single low-rep novice program will tell you to do isolation only, they all emphasize compounds.

you forgot to add low rep high weight doubles your chance to get injured.

Ignore this troll

Literally in my first answer.
>You don't need dropsets before you're at least intermediate.

Basically, dropsets are a way to go to failure.
As a novice, absolutely do not do them, broscience tells you that doing to failure as a novice will teach your body to fail. Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter, because you don't need to go to failure as a novice anyway.

Later when you have a good, solid form you can use dropsets yeah. Dropsets are done by removing weight. Removing reps might be a solution if you can't change the weight for some reason, but doing a dropset by removing reps just means doing a set to failure anyway.

Basically the reasoning is that you did all of the possible reps you could for this set and this weight but you want to keep hitting your muscles (whatever it takes, right babe?). Because you can't do a single other rep for this weight, you drop some of the weight and do more reps. then repeat.

>My point is, why should I trust an IP adress/someone who wrote a few hundred words for free over 2 paid PTs who both disagree with you.
Why should you trust someone who is paid to make you a routine? He will get fired if you injure your stupid ass, meanwhile the people who recommend you real routines have nothing to gain or lose from you getting stronger and more aesthetic.

It's actually the opposite. You have a lot more chances to injure yourself on a high rep low weight set, because your form is much harder to keep.

This is why you don't see many people doing this 20-reps-squat program.
This is also one of the reasons novice programs have less volume than intermediate/advanced. Novices can't keep their form as well as more advanced people, so high volume low weight is more dangerous for them

It's not even a matter of opinion, there.
>you forgot to add low rep high weight doubles your chance to get injured.
is factually wrong. Please leave this thread.

>2016
>using a PT
Will you also pay me to fuck your bitch, OP?

>Go to McFit
>PT gives me this flier for "biceps program"
>He tells me it will give me big arms, and tells me I should also buy some of his QI2 branded shit from the vending machine
>First time in the gym and this guy looks big, he probably knows what he's talking about
>I-I mean, he's paid to make me a routine right? He will get fired if I injure my stupid ass.. r-right?

Having a chest at the time was seen as a feminine feature. He didnt work on his chest on purpose

there isn't such thing as a perfect number of reps, what exist is volume for gaining strength or muscle mass, as in
x weight+ y reps = perfect volume
imo, the best hypertrophy formula is in x as about 80% of your PR on a lift and y is the number of reps you can do without cheating or screwing your form, its really simple, my PR on bench is 245lbs for 2 good reps, which is good for strength (i really don't care anymore about strength), and i get better results (hypertrophy) with about 180 to 190 lbs, i can do about 10 perfect reps on a good day, what matters is, a good weight, a good amount of reps with perfect form, there isn't a number for it,

5-7 for heavy compounds

5-12 for isolations, do whatever seems right

work each muscle twice a week