Discuss

How do you react when someone says history as a subject is useless and irrelevant?

360 to the moonwalk

>What is the proper unit for the study of the human past—the individual? The polis? The civilization? The culture? Or the nation state?

>Are there broad patterns and progress? Are there cycles? Is human history random and devoid of any meaning?

I sigh and look to the ground:
>Yeah, user, you're right. Maybe I should just kill myself since I'm not good at anything else.

i agree. it's mostly entertainment and little of it is scientific

Because understanding the past is crucial to understanding the entirety of human experience. You can't put wars, cultures, or societal development into a petri dish - so the past is the closest equivalent to a lab we have for understanding phenomena like this.

Study of history is therefore also essential to other disciplines like social science, international relations, political science etc. Even something as niche as a study of Mayan pottery-making techniques provides more data and understanding.

And even if none of that is true, or they don't accept it, I'd just ask what's wrong with seeking knowledge for knowledge's sake.

This is how I want to be exhumed.

I tell them to go fuck themselves because most are literaturefags. Normies tend to look favorably on history, and so do sciencefags.

gives context to the social and political climate we live in today

ez the appeal to how it contains some part which is extremely important, depending on the company and their interests.
I'm sure everyone thinks politics are of great significance, and history is the bigger thing here. Same with philosophy - durr what a drag - do you think logic laws are important? - I mean, yea - it is included in philosophy bub. I hate goddamn liver - it one of the best sources of Fe and you lift - fugg time to actually learn how to cook. etc etc etc

History is mostly about reading old book that requires alot of research.

*Books
You fucking retard.

>How do you react when someone says history as a subject is useless and irrelevant?
I smile politely while internally acknowledging that everyone has a subjective viewpoint of their environment based upon a combination of both cultural and familial upbringing and biases, and that because of that they might have a preconceived blindspot that is manifesting itself in our conversation, which unfortunately fits into patterns manifested throughout recorded history that show that those who embrace willful ignorance are often the cause of catastrophe/hilarity for those around them.

It is tho, i like it anyway

this guy gets it. sometimes you can can seem clairvoyant to your average pleb just by understanding the patterns of history and how they relate to today.

Agree with that person; studying history is only acceptable as entertainment, it's worthless unless you want to become some retarded revanchist politician... or simply unemployed with a shit pleb tier degree.
>What is the proper unit for the study of the human past—the individual? The polis? The civilization? The culture? Or the nation state?
Individual and for lesser degree, culture.
>Are there broad patterns and progress?
It depends on how "broad" the "broadness" of patterns is. Also define "progress".
>Are there cycles?
If you make history sufficiently broad, you will find any cycle you want, eg. stronk men create good times, good times create weak men :^)
>Is human history random and devoid of any meaning?
It's "random" as if in "almost entirely unpredictable", but in the end, there's a good explaination to anything that happened (or didn't happen), ergo determinism is the truth :^)
Define "entirety of human experience", and explain why it's important.
You don't need history to recognize the patterns, you're just plebs who lack critical skills.
>Explain why X is important, use logic as an example
>Commit logical fallacy
Wew lad
>Muh catastrophe
Studying history has objectively caused more harm than good. I can even claim that world would be a much "better" place if history as a whole was forgotten.

Why are you here?

Because I enjoy posting on Veeky Forums in my freetime between studying math and going to gym. Got any other questions?

>Veeky Forums
Why are you here?

Because I enjoy posting on Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums and in particular, Veeky Forums. Normally I don't engage in discussion on this shit tier board (this obsession with all things military makes a really bad impresssion on actual posters' knowledge) but this thread piqued my interest just enough to respond in one-liners to fluid heterosexual OP and a bunch of crybabies. Got any other questions?

make fun of them for being brainlets

To what's extent Ian the reliance on corporate subjects' archives in modernity a self fulfilling prophecy? Answer in relation to the use of BA graduates in anglophone states.

>Studying history has objectively caused more harm than good. I can even claim that world would be a much "better" place if history as a whole was forgotten.
Yes you could, my dear user. You could make that argument with any amount of data that you could find, argue your thesis, and conclude in a strong position, all thanks to exactly what the study of the field of history has provided for you to draw upon. Probably without even realizing it.

>Studying history has objectively caused more harm than good. I can even claim that world would be a much "better" place if history as a whole was forgotten.
please back up those claims without using any historical material

Where are my history majors at? woot! woot!

We have access to the lives of those who lived before us. We can look at their lives and learn from both their successes and failures. Isn't that basically what humanity is? A bunch of individuals passing on an ever-growing amount of information?

we live in a world created by history. Previous generations of multiple cultures with their interwoven conflicts and agreements; all dead now. We are left with the mess. How about a question more contemporary- how do you feel about sins of the father? imagine a situation in which your father did something wrong and you are left to deal with it. This is the situation we find ourselves in so maybe we should see what mistakes were and avoid them in the future. Maybe we should make an effort to see where we come from.

It's okay though. AI will sort out all this information for us lol

If they have no interest as to how or why we got here I'm 100% sure they watch television. I don't associate with people who don't think somewhat deeply

If you said stuff like this in my presence I'd turn 180° and walk

What a massive faggot

>those who control the past control the present
>those who control the present control the future
Orwell said something similiar and he was right. If we forgot our history then anyone could make it up to their liking thus using it as propaganda thus controlling the masses and the future

Nigger nearly all social and humanistic sciences rely on history for comparisons and examples. You try studying sociology without referring to history? You try studying philsophy without awareness of the historic context? You try studying art without awareness of the historic context? Then kindly fuck off.
You as well.

I don't care what stupid people think.

I know for a fucking fact that history isn't a useless subject, because I've taught in countries where history wasn't valued at all. I taught for several years in East Asia (yeah, the TEFL meme; you can go fuck yourself, I was saving for grad school and it was a good job). Unlike most of my friends who taught in Japan, I taught in HK and Taiwan, and taught an "American curriculum" - i.e. a mixed curriculum, teaching science and history at a middle-school level, although of course I taught those subjects in English.

In E. Asia, but especially especially in the Chinese-speaking world, humanities are simply not valued at all. It's basically STEM all the way. It really does hurt the kids' ability to think. It's not just that they were (I assume still are) historical illiterates, although they were; they weren't able to think creatively or analytically about complex issues at all. I prepared all the tests they took myself, and it was incredible to me how even the students whom I KNEW to be smart and motivated AND fluent in English would completely come up short and turn into stuttering morons when faced with a remotely open-ended question. Even open-ended questions on STEM subjects; anything beyond filling in the blanks, shit like, "Which is a more efficient way to conduct [insert science experiment], [X] or [Y]? Justify your answer in complete sentences." They'd just fucking shut down.

The belief that studying the humanities doesn't teach valuable skills is a luxury reserved to people who have been lucky enough to spend time studying the humanities.

I ask them if they want fries with that.

Honestly they would be right but I would say that I find it fun and interesting as a hobby.

>It's basically STEM all the way
Which is why they're pulling ahead in the region.

I'm and American in a STEM program. I talked with one of the lab assistants in the biology department (I'm in chem, I worked with some of the bio dudes as part of a biochem related project) and while we Americans sure love to bitch about how much the humanities and general education sucks it's a really good thing we have it.

He did his graduate work in Australia and taught students there, and the students he taught weren't required to take anything except classes related to their majors (Bio, biochem, and medicine). They were all dumb as bricks the moment they had to actually think about anything and couldn't just work within predefined pathways that they had spent time in.