Why is great britain not called an empire ?

why is great britain not called an empire ?
doesn't it correspond to the definition of it ?

Other urls found in this thread:

history-world.org/ww3.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can still do that at home if it soothes your mind.
The term Empire bears some weight. Doesn't fit. GB hasn't been an Empire since WW1

WW2*

No, WW1.
Finances play a big role. GB was broken after WW1 and the US ascended from Great Power to World Power status over that war which the US only entered WW1 to make sure GB would be on the winning side so it could pay its debts to the US.
With the fall of the USSR from World Power to Great Power status the US became an Empire. There can only be one at a time.

You don't know how empires work do you?
A nation is an empire if they have an emperor.
The UK is not ruled by an emperor, but by a king (queen currently), therefore, the UK is a kingdom, not an empire. If it were an empire, it would be called United Empire and not United Kingdom.

British empire achieved it's maximum extent after the war, it's economy still grew, still had the largest navy amd wasn't economically overtaken until 1924 by the USA. Only after WW2 was the empire truly eclipsed and after 1947 so the beginning of the end.

Please explain the term British Empire when the Imperator bit only extended to India. You're on the wrong path m8.
There just was a thread about this topic the other day. If Luxemburg's Head of State would call himself Emperor that wouldn't make Luxemburg an Empire.

>only India
>only an entire sub-continent
>only 20% of the world population
>only 14% of world GDP

>anglo reading comprehension

The king of Britian then ruled as Emperor of India. Monarchs always use their highest title first, so an empire it is.
Nowadays India is independent and the British king no longer emperor. This means Britain no longer is an empire.
I understand your confusion with the term empire as colonial empire, but Britain doesn't have any colonies left (Falklands doesn't count).
Were Luxemburg's head of state to call himself Emperor it would indeed not make him an Emperor, because noone else would call him as such. If everyone were to call him Emperor he would be one.

>Complaining about the people who invented the language interpreting your use of their language correctly but not how you wanted it to be interpreted

Emperor literally means the sovereign of an empire: emperor
ˈɛmp(ə)rə/Submit
noun
a sovereign ruler of an empire

Oxford dictionary

You're not disproving my point
Also fuck off namefag

The bongs were cooked before WW1 began. Germany's GDP surpassed them in 1914, which was the real reason the bongs provoked that war. But they were cooked even though the US saved them from a crushing defeat. Today, Merkel is showing them who's boss. Pay the danegeld, bong subhumans.

I disagree. It would have been an Empire even without any of the title being emperor. That's just a historical thing that stopped having any meaning after the HRE.
An empire has
- the largest military
- the largest fleet
- most military bases outside its own territory
- encompasses several peoples
- most influential culture of the time
- leading currency
- vassal states
- expansionist drive, is thus nearly constantly at war.
Since the fall of the USSR the US have become an empire. GB stopped being one after WW1 because at that point they started to become the US' bitch. They just didn't notice until after WW2. I would consider the interwar period as one with an empire, but with several great/world powers

You're confusing empire with superpower.
The Byzantine Empire wasn't the most powerful at the time, nor did they have the most military bases outside its own territory.
The United States aren't constantly at war, nor do they have an expansionist drive.
I must compliment you on your civilized behaviour however, this is the most sane discussion I've had this week.

Germany individually surpassed the economy of the UK, nowhere near surpassing the entire empire. Also per capita, the UK was doing better. Britain got involved to prevent the rise of a continental power. Even Germany knew that provoking Britain would end them. The British navy was far too powerful for any nation at the time to contend with.

>British empire after WW1
By bitch you mean debt payer. Even after WW1 the US had inferior military might to the UK

The bongs had not the ability to hold onto their meme empire, meaning it couldn't rightly be included in its economic base in 1914. WW1 demonstrated that quite clearly, and the Japanese easy destruction of bong Far East holdings was further proof. Without the US the bongs are forced to make peace with Imperial Germany, and ironically this was the only thing that might have saved their meme empire, following their foolish decision to ally with the frogs and slavs and provoke the war to begin with. The German navy might very well have destroyed the bong economy by the way, absent the US, and Japan, ironically again.

Are we talking about the same world war here buddy?

If you have an argument, you should make it, lad.

>Without the US the bongs are forced to make peace with Imperial Germany, and ironically this was the only thing that might have saved their meme empire, following their foolish decision to ally with the frogs and slavs and provoke the war to begin with.

I'm serious, you seem to have your world wars mixed up.

I'm serious, you're not making an argument, and the fact that you can't follow what I've discussed likely means you're historically illiterate and can't make one.

>Japanese easy destruction of bong Far East holdings was further proof
That was WW2 and an unprecedented attack.
>Without the US the bongs are forced to make peace with Imperial Germany
The German empire was already losing and the people at home starved. US intervention only reduced the number of lives lost.
>meme empire
Not an argument.
>The German navy might very well have destroyed the bong economy
This is laughable, Germany had a puny navy in comparison to the Royal navy, this is why German overseas territories were so quickly seized.

Stay mad kraut

Yes, WW1 showed the bong meme empire was a fantasy, and the Japanese easy destruction of the bong Far East holdings short years later again demonstrated this fantasy.

The bongs were already losing, and their people at home were starving absent US involvement.

meme empire is a touchstone of bong fantasy

The Japanese seized German overseas territories, the bongs not so much. They had to stay home and not be destroyed, remember. That's what the Japanese destruction of them in the Far East showed. It was a meme empire, this Bongistan-rules-the-waves fantasy.

Stay mad, bong.

Nice try Hans, but all these territories were taken by the British. Also Japanese seizure of british Pacific colonies was due to disarmament and no warning. If Britain was prepared, Japan would get BTFO'd instantly. Also, Japan didn't take all the pacific colonies and they ended up getting pushed back without US intervention. The only reason Japan didn't get fucked sooner was because, Britain had bigger fish to fry.

>Britain was starving
Rationing started in WW2 and even then the populace was doing fine, in fact they became healthier than ever before.

What the hell am I reading?

>German navy

What territories did the bongs sieze? They were getting beat by a few Dutch farmers in Africa just a few years previously. A few scraggly Germans held them off there, and a few scraggly Turks destroyed the bongs in Baghdad. Only the Japanese managed to take German colonies cleanly. The bongs cried because they wanted to take the surrender that day, but the Japs told them to get bent, they'd done it by themselves afterall.

Japanese destruction of bong holdings in Asia was due to the bongs having a meme empire that they were incapable of defending, which is what made it a meme. The bongs couldn't be "prepared", because it was all a meme.

The only thing that pushed the Japanese back was the US, so clearly US intervention was required.

The bongs were incapable of frying fish in any theater, not even on their own front porch. Woulda coulda shoulda don't count.

Absent US intervention, they starve. Getting destroyed shipping on your front porch will do that, and that was happening in both wars.

>Absent US intervention, they starve. Getting destroyed shipping on your front porch will do that, and that was happening in both wars.
What is Canada
>Japan took all the colonies
You mean they took the tiny resourceless islands around their country while Britain sweeped up their African colonies
>"b-but muh west Africa"
Eventually taken by Britain
>Meme empire
Nice argument fag

Correct. that's why the British Empire really wasn't an Empire anymore.

Thanks. Not sure about the superpower thing. Superpower has a positive connotation, empire does not.
Also the US certainly are at war almost constantly at least. The Nobel Peace Prize President bombed 7 countries and never was at peace. And if resource wars aren't expansionist I do not know what is. Even if I wanted to follow the usual propaganda "western values" are spread.

Uh, you guys know that the British empire was called an empire because the british monarch was ALSO the titular shahenshah of Hindustan?

>As soon as an empire accumulates debt it is no longer an empire

Canada's shipping was getting destroyed just like the bongs', no joy there.

No, the Japanese took continental territory from the Germans, and the bongs couldn't do that anywhere.

West Africa never taken, and certainly never held, by the meme bong empire.

You're not getting anywhere, retard.

No as soon as the debt makes it another power's bitch. We start to suspect that might happen with the US and China one day.

Britain ended WW1 as a net creditor. It's just that the lions share of their loans were given out to Tsarist Russia, and the Soviet Union felt no compulsion to pay out old capitalist debts.

history-world.org/ww3.htm
Sub-heading is 'The Debt Problem'

>West Africa never taken, and certainly never held, by the meme bong empire
Yet somehow Britain acquired German territories after WW1

Why don't you stop wanking the german 'empire' faggot

Because all that land came under the dominion of one monarch through feudal practices.
Kings like to call themselves Emperors all the time though so I doubt anyone would really care.

>meme empire

>if I use meme enough people will take me seriously

Yeah, if you get the chance kys

you know Japan was in the Allies in ww1 right? Why would they attack their own allies?
This is retarded, your retarded.

>the US ascended from Great Power to World Power status over that war

Great power and world powers are the same thing. The highest powers of Europe (UK, France, Germany) were considered "great powers" until WW2.

It’s not currently an empire because it is currently the kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

>Owns Canada, Australia, India, Singapore, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, South Africa, Tanzania, Rhodesia etc
>Not an empire
kys

>ruled by a queen
Why is it not a queendom?

>butthurt bong entering thread
You can call your basement an Empire for all I care

xd i got trolled lol