What sparked your interest in history?

pic related for me, checked it out of my school library in 2nd grade. never even returned it, it’s still in my closet somewhere

I've got that exact same book.

do you know how many kids are not interested in history because of what you did?

Age of Empires 1 demo in 1999. Became a Greekaboo.

civ 5

What does Veeky Forums think Veeky Forums's inevitable eyewitness book will look like?

>mfw pregnant Anne Frank drawings get an entire page devoted to them.

These books. I hated history until I learned that there's a lot of weird stuff they don't teach you in school that humanizes history and shows how genuinely crazy the world can be sometimes. Maybe it was growing up in the 90's with Nickelodeon slime desensitizing me to gore and body horror stuff, but I was fascinated by all the gruesome ways we dealt with death and torture and general macabre elements of history.

Needless to say 9th grade was bit too early to do a presentation on Unit 731 and my teacher shut down my one presentation when I got to the juicy bits.

i just imagine tiny swords slipping out of this

>T A N K
>A
>N
>K

It was by this publisher, but it was about world history.

This however was my introduction to mythology

And then I moved on to this, which had illustration from a prog rock album artist, which was pretty awesome.

probably read this book 10 times in 4th grade

For a while the history covered by Medal of honor rising sun, frontline and the desert storm 2 was the only history i got. But after picking up Rome total war, Kessen and Okami, i became interested in aincent society, history and mythology.

God, i wish i picked theese up as a kid.

Total War series

Unironically Veeky Forums

yesssss my duuude

>Needless to say 9th grade was bit too early to do a presentation on Unit 731 and my teacher shut down my one presentation when I got to the juicy bits.
kek

Video games and Horrible History books

A kid's version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Wrote Lu Bu as my favourite fictional character in primary and no one knew who it was

Being into fantasy games as a kid. I wanted to write fantasy and for worldbuilding purposes I started going through history and philosophy... and now I can't remember the last time I've read a fantasy series.

Sea of Trolls

I joined a little late. Took Latin in high school, took an AP World History class the next year, and got into historical games and stuff. Then, it was all downhill from there.

My grandmother used to read me books about Ancient Egypt and Chineese civilization. I was around 6/7, so didn't understand shit yet. But it sparked interest in history anyway.

My grandpa was into History and he himself had lived on the Eastern front in WWII so he always spoke about the subject when I was a kid.

Sorta similiar, grandpa and dad both served in the USSR military and liked to show off their military uniforms and pics of when they were in service. I still have my father's USSR document somewhere put showing where he was stationed and with what equipment. After that got more interested in history overall.

You guys and Arguing with /pol/

>be me, young
>start airsofting with friends
>get more and more interested in different kind of airsoft guns
>find out some are based on historical guns
>thing WWII ones are cool
>start researching WWII weapons
>eventually start reading about WWII in general
>start watching history channel (before it was the hitler channel)
>get exposed to Rome, ancient China, etc
>this is pretty neat innit

My tenth-grade history teacher and later Hardcore History. Ironically I started really getting into history when I switched out of a history major.

When I was young my mom brought me to the library every week er two where I could choose two books which I had to finish before we went there again.
I mostly chose stuff about medieval times because the knights on the cover looked cool.
Also my dad was a nationalist so I learned history from him too.

Similar thing here, except my high school history teacher showed me Harcore History.