Looking to potentially start a farm next year when I graduate college...

Looking to potentially start a farm next year when I graduate college. Looking for advice from current farmers or anyone in the agriculture sector. Hows the agriculture market right now? How difficult (or easy) is it to acquire loans and grants from the government to buy land/equipment to start the farm.

Other urls found in this thread:

themarketgardener.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Burger? If so - no idea what's the situation in the US in terms of grants/subsidies.

step 1: declare your body to Monsanto

yea US

the seeds they produce and sell help the crops produce higher yields so farmers can feed your the world, it's even more crucial when people have become such fat asses

Dairy farm here.
You part timer or a flesh farm? Or worse a dairy farmer?

What you do the money you have and how much you want to make are very imp. Better to make it a hobby first amd see if you like it but dont expect to make any money from it as a full time job unless you got 10kk for 1000 acres or more. Anything sub 3000 acres is a small farm and you will not be rish though youll never go hungry either. Land prices are high as well. Your buying at a peak it aint worth it for the money

Gmo soy, everyone is gonna be vegan in 20 years, soy will be high demand

nah I come from a family of farmers on both mother and fathers side, I currently do not work at a farm but would plan to start a crop farm
Plan would be to move out west (in NY currently) acquire a large amount of land to start with.
What kind of grants/loans did you get started with?
What are your government subsidies like?

If you came from a family of em ask em. Not being an ass but the laws can vary I honestly have no idea I was a family friend and hand to an old family dairy farm of 1.5k acres. I now selk fert. To farmers and sell cyrp in my spare time. Land demand andavg field yield are factors i grants and loans etc. As well as crop prices which are down while land is high due to low interest rates. Monsanto will have first rites to your daughters if you want to go aa a part timer. Plus where you farm means as much or more than what you farm. You could have 1k acres in the MW and make an ok living in a good or so so year but youll need 3x that in say montanna due to soil and weather. Then there eauipment workers supplies its rough yiull want 2-3mil if your startig from scratch. Expect to take 2 years to break even on a yearly basis itll take 10-15 tp pay back that initoal inv. On phone sorrg for typos

Well none of my family members are alive who farm anymore (grandfathers on both sides of the family and father) So it's impossible to ask them anymore, but thank you for the information I do appreciate it.
I'll have to look at states then

Schooling is actually important here. Farming ,at least at the owner and manager, level is a hands on stem field. There are a shit ton of idiots who are farm hands, drunks too and mexicans who just want to work but higher up they arent dummies. Theres easier money though new farms outside niche areas arent being made theyre being consolidated. Farms of 8k acres arent unheard of and are actually quite common even in say IL where I live. Interestingly lots of farmers with long memories are chompin waiting for industrial hemp of all things. Though those conversations are still 1/2 bullshit due to legal.

I'm confused when you say easier money though new farms ? What do you mean by easier money. Also are areas outside of the midwest with massive land dedicated to farming consolidating as well?

Look into the alternative farming grant. Big farms are very hard to manage, lots of work, and EXPENSIVE. Anything you grow on a large scale is going to have to be sold cheap, and Guatemala can always undercut you.

Alternative farming is things like mushrooms, honey, truffles, etc. You want to do a crop that's small, high value, and that you can sell locally to restaurants. The fine dining farm to table meme is great, as is becoming a Whole Foods supplier and going to farmer's markets.

get some land and then grow crypto on it. you can thank me later :^)

This guy is so correct. It's really not a great business to get into. If you're dead-set on farming, do this

crypto??

Never thought of this, will look into more though, that is a solid point with being undercut

Banker here. First question is going to be how much down money do you have? Margin requirements are going to be around 65%.

I farm 3 acres. Yes 3 acres. High intensity, dense farming. It's hard work. But it's my only job and has made me about 70k income after taxes a year.
Farming massive amounts of land is fucked. Mostly its land owned by original owners who have passed it down. And requires big machinery and stuff. Usually those land owners just rent the land out to someone who farms it. Land ownership is kind of a triggering subject for me. My family owns a lot of land. But they acquired it several generations ago for free. A lot of farmers are fucked in the head around here. Many I know have gone bankrupt despite having the chance of a lifetime.

what's your crop(s) if you don't mind me asking

I'll grow anything. But the climate here doesn't support a lot. Tomatoes, leafy stuff like lettuce and cabbage, herbs, cucumbers, celery, leeks. Whatever grows well it's going to vary a lot by your climate. I try to sell everything that the supermarket sells that fits my climate. Plus some variety. Fresh sells well. I can tell you everything I know and your life will drastically improve. This is 100% viable and I will do it until I can no longer physically do it.

and you just sell all of this at a vegetable stand of some sort?? and you make 70k?

I really want to do this. I was raised on my grandparent's hobby farm of 6 acres and never realized how much money they were making. My grandfather did it until he died recently. I loved working on the farm but I was relegated to mainly bitch labor and didn't learn much. Anything you can share would be great.

Growing beetroot is the most profitable vegetable, they taste pretty great too.

Farmers markets. Plus I've developed a customer base. People and businesses that regularly buy from me. Plus I have chickens and sell eggs. But yes. This nets me 70k a year after expenses

wow, that's sounds nice

american farmers are to be envied. here in europe farming is basically being on wellfare because without EU and gov subsidies most of the farms would go bankrupt within months. only very big farmers can get rich here.

I bought a 5 acre piece of land. And cultivated 3 acres at first and started. At first I lived in a shitty camper trailer and lived with my parents in the winter. I didn't much know what I was doing as my parents were just grain farmers.
Slowly I built greenhouses. And I read a book called the market gardener themarketgardener.com/

And now every year is basically an evolution of the farm. Finding customers was hard at first but as I was a regular at the farmers market, I slowly developed a base. And now that keeps me going. Not sure what else I can tell you. I do everything manually. Except for a rototiller I have. Read that website and or book and you'll learn everything I've learned

>commodity market
your fucked here
>high end market
run by cartels

Also getting into farming a lot of land is crippling. Look at land prices in your area. Then look at the cost of a tractor or two. A combine, or whatever else you need. It's fucking expensive. It's basically impossible to decide you want to become a farmer now. Like farming several hundred acres or more.
I have a friend who is desperately trying. He mortgaged 320 acres and put a mobile home on the land. And now he can't afford to do anything. So he works full time and rents the land out to cover a portion of his mortgage. Plus he needed 50% down for the land mortgage. Not sure what it is in America. The land alone was like 600,000 though this varies a lot by region of course. And he's already in his 40s so he's basically fucked. This problem is only going to get worse in the future. A lot of young people who are children to farmers are moving to cities. So probably selling their land. And it will all be owned by big corps one day. People aren't interested in farming and for good reasons. Hopefully you like the gardening idea as you will at least have food and an income with a small investment