Formal War Declarations

Do people really declare war ever first? It's like they always attack first then formally declare afterwards.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you are not physically allowed by the laws of nature to have raised armies while declaring war

as i understand you first have to dismiss your levies

Most times they do yes. Whenever states doesn't they tend to get shit from the global/regional community of states.

I found this interesting:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war

"Since 1945, developments in international law such as the United Nations Charter, which prohibits both the threat and the use of force in international conflicts, have made declarations of war largely obsolete in international relations.[1]"

is this a cold war joke?

again and again feel good meddling just makes things more dishonest and underhanded

>UN thinks that just because it says something it becomes a universal reality

unless you are from Vatican, Palestine, Taiwan, Western Sahara, Kosovo, South Ossetia, Abkhazia or Northern Cyprus, shut the fuck up because your country is directly contributing to this shit
fucking love retards who act like these orgs are staffed by different species

And so world peace was finally achieved. G*d bless the United Nations.

People often disagree with some things that their country does while agreeing with others. They are welcome to speak here.

It irks me that the U.N. is so often credited with keeping the world peaceful since WW2. It has done some good stuff but it is a political shark pool. And there is no shortage of war.
I suppose we cannot expect general discourse to have nuance.
The U.N. Needs to constrain its mission to just peace dialogue and stop preaching morality.

Of course it’s chivalrous
Raiding is seen as a casual beli for retribution, but it of itself is not a declaration of war, hence why privateering was Aokay, along with impressment of sailors

It would be nice if the U.N. encouraged and recognised all declarations of war, giving all sides an open platform to air their points of view and maintain minimum dialogue.

THIS
I hate all the fake civility in this world

obviously only retinue and mercenaries allowed

what about event troops like the mongols

The mongols weren't making war. They were supressing rebels who refused to bow before the Great Khan.

this doen't apply to hordes though

LEAKING

enemy spies were everywhere and would see you mustering men, you might as well officially declare war for "muh honor"

Interstate warfare has decreased drastically since 1945, and even intrastate warfare has seen a significant downturn since the 1980s (though desu I'm not really aware of the figures since ISIS appeared). This may not have anything to do with the UN - it could be increased economic interdependence, new global norms where the most powerful players in the international system frown on war, or - in the case of the major powers - the nuclear deterrent. The UN may not be the cause of this new state of affairs (I don't think anyone seriously thinks it is), but it is a byproduct of them. If nothing else, it's a forum for dialogue and most states view the UN as a legitimising body for their actions. People tend to focus on its failures like Rwanda, but ignore its other successful peacekeeping missions or the achievements of UN bodies like WHO.

SEETHING

>make war illegal
>war still happens

You sound like a kid pissed off at not being allowed to say bad words.

>pissed
GASP