Be me

>be me
>a plague doctor in 14th century Italy
>I can see a couple of victims of some kind of sickness come to my wonderful shop
>They knock on my door very aggressively
>I open and shout "How dare you assault my pristine door with such aggressiveness peasant!"
>They say "We have the Bubonic Plague doctor, please...help us!"
>I inspect them and give them some kind of gay looking powder
>"This powder shall help thy sickness, off with you!"
>They leave and I go back to my doctor business
>Mfw i've forgotten to put on my doctor mask
>Mfw I now have the Bubonic Plague

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YHNyo-IF3-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>be me
Only redditors start thread with that shit. Sage.

B-b-but the past was b-b-beter because it had... meaning and stuff. Unlike the present, in which my life has no meaning - obviously, because the present sucks, not because I'm a loser.

Can we hijak OPs shitty thread to post cool plague masks and other medieval medical shit?

Learned the other day the beak on the classic plague mask was packed with garlic, herbs, and oils. Doctors then unquestioningly believed Galen's 1000+ year writings on humors and miasma. Unintentionally, by blocking out the "bad" air of bubonic plague with "good" air of herbs they were the killing airborne plague pathogens and reduced their risk of getting plague. They would still sometimes collect and taste the patients urine though.....

>Unintentionally
it was very intentional. just the technical reason behind the mask working was not quite what they assumed.

last post

Nope.

Please. Pointing out problems and negative trends in contemporary society doesn't mean one hates technology, since those problems weren't caused by technological progress. Don't strawman.

Bubonic plague isn't airborne that's pneumonic plague. The suit may have protected against bubonic plague if it also protects against lice.

Is there any evidence that doctors carrying the mask actually received better protection against plague than anyone else?

how new are you? People have been doing that on Veeky Forums since before reddit existed

t. reddit

stop saying bubonic plague when referring to airborne plague, its
>bubonic is transmitted via animals
>septicemic is via blood
>pneumonic is via air

medieval doctors didn't know that at all, the believed in miasma in all cases

youtube.com/watch?v=YHNyo-IF3-8

actually most people believed that it was a plot by the jews muslims and lepers to poison the christians of europe

>actually most people believed that it was a plot by the jews muslims and lepers to poison the christians of europe

I thought /pol/ didn't exist until just over a decade ago?

It was a plot by mongols. they catapulted plague infected corpses into European cities purposefully to spread plague. idk if mongols had converted to islam that at that point, but calling it a plot by muslims isn’t inaccurate if they had.

Did plague mask actually work, or were they just to stop the smell of shit and decay?

though it wasn't about mongols catapulting corpses into European cities, it was about Jews and Muslims having several purity laws that gave some very basic protection against disease that didn't exist in Christianity because of Matthew 15:11. As a result Christians died in droves while Muslims and Jews fared somewhat better.

then Christians would notice this and assume the Heathens were putting something into the water.

Why didn't Poland get plague then?

They worked.

Nope. I know reddit gets memed a lot here but the "be me" shit literally originated on reddit around 2013.

>Be me
>pro at internet history
>See thread starting with "be me"
>DELETED

the proof lays in the fact the costumes were used and became iconic. The classic plague dress did not appear until the plague was well under way and had already wrought the majority of its devestation. Most doctors, nurses, and barbers had already been killed off. The few that survived and adopted the plague doctor clothes were the ones that survived and therefore were depicted by artists of that age. If you are looking for a scientific study with control groups proving the plague doctor clothes were better than nothing then you're in the wrong century kid

You know nothing about medicine. Kill self now.

The sources show that they believed in both.

>s a result Christians died in droves while Muslims and Jews fared somewhat better.
Fatality rates varied greatly from region to region. In some places the Muslims did better than the Europeans and in others the opposite is true. Death rates in Egypt reached around 40% while in England around 20% of the population died of plague.

sounds like something only a redditor would know

Yes they did work, although the herbs and aromatics they'd put inside the mask didn't do much

How come Poland/Krakow and Milan got much less affected by the plague than the rest of Europe? All the maps I see of the pandemic, Milan and Krakow are not infected.

not even the plague wants to visit poland

Fucking basques, using they basque magic to avoid the plague.

pretty sad when you try to make a pest doctor joke and you don't know jack about medieval medicine or doctors.

>How come Poland/Krakow and Milan got much less affected by the plague than the rest of Europe?
cats

Milan shut the gates and threw everyone out at the first sight of the illness. Polish used magic.

But why the fuck was Sardinia and Corsica hit so early? Could you even sail there in the dark ages lmao

Even plague fears the Polish warrior.

Here is an interesting depiction of death.