How is it possible that there's almost never any threads about Chinese/Japanese stuff on this board...

How is it possible that there's almost never any threads about Chinese/Japanese stuff on this board? It's a fucking weeb site, yet there's more talk of this on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums than on here. Kind of embarrassing if you ask me.

Historical sources that wouldn’t hold up to European standards

This.

Europeans are quite critical of themselves and their history. Asian cultures by in large do not document their failings and fact often mixes with fiction.

Overgeneralisation here, bureaucratic records are generally trustworthy f.e.

These are bullshit argument. Why would you need to read THEIR version of history? What, do you trust fucking ancient sources without consulting archaeological finds? And there's plenty of research done by Western scholars.

There's threads on China all the time and regularly threads on Japan, what are you talking about?

T B H this board is a Western history board in all but name.

>regularly
You've got to be shitting me. Screencap me how many there are right now that are up and also in the alive in the archive.

No enough nazis.

Too much /pol/ and /int/ leaking and even otaku in the west typically don't know shit about Japanese history apart from the Sengoku period and the Bakumatsu (and WW2 I guess but people talk about that plenty)

That said I've found a couple decent Japanese history books here, it's not a total loss.

>That said I've found a couple decent Japanese history books here, it's not a total loss.
What do you have? I've learned most of what I know from the Cambridge collection and that Samurai Archive website/podcast.

But I'm sad I can't find any equivalent for China. I'm not reading to go through some 20 volume academic series, but everything else seems to be so dull. Those China history podcasts done either by wheezing nerds or Americanized chinks trying to do a Chinese accent trigger me to no end.

I was thinking of Samuel Hawley's book on the Imjin War and John Breen and Mark Teeuwen's "A New History of Shinto", although come to think of it for China I also enjoyed Jonathan Spence's "God's Chinese Son". Can't help you with a general overview though.

(Read through the Cambridge History of Japan a while ago, but didn't hear about it from here. It's excellent.)

Ah, I've found those on b-ok as well. Was thinking maybe you had something rarer.

Because thats the only option aside from low quality uncritical drivel, or a fucking handful of decent work on chink history. We're at a point where most primary and seccondary sources are trying to pretend king arthur:slant edition is 100% real. Chinese hitory is consequently pointless unless you can read mandarin, or just have autism.

>Asian cultures by in large do not document their failings
What utterly horseshit. Can you even able to read a single Chinese history record yourself? I guess not.

Chinese official records are relatively reliable, more reliable than medieval Europeans records, and far more reliable than any Japanese sources before 9th century. Every Chinese dynasties were fucking obligated to write history of its predecessor because they wanted to document their success and failings in order to justify their own mandate of heaven, that's exactly how this system work.

>fact often mixes with fiction.
That's exactly what ancient Greeks, Romans and medieval Europeans loved to do.

Exactly. I don't know how it's possible that everyone on this board is so fucking delusional in thinking that Asian history is one big circlejerk. What a sad state of affairs to think there are people that read 30 volumes on a single war but don't even have a superficial understanding of other contemporary civilizations.
It's fine to hate Japan and China both, but the arguments on Veeky Forums as to why treating their histories are invalid are simply absurd.
>time for another muh ancestors / who is white thread

>Asian cultures by in large do not document their failings and fact often mixes with fiction.

>Hey Chang remember that Titanic civil war that killed shitloads of the realm?
>Yeah and also that famine at one point.
>Also remember the asshole emperors we had?

Chinese history was written by people who were a bunch of moralizing stuckups and people who kept warning future Emperors about how you could lose the Mandate of Heaven.

>there's plenty of research done by Western scholars
There really isn't, at least compared with western history, new world history, african and middle eastern history. Most of what's present is the kind of amateurish unreliable accounts you can expect of 19th century "historians" too. The commies pretty much banned the west from pursuing most cultural research until fairly recently, and chinese authors are often pressured into presenting unreliable work.
We've seen good work done since the 80s, but calling it 'plenty' is laughable.

Mostly because Asian history is not a big topic in the Western education system in general. Western topics are more well known and material is more often translated as a result.

>there's more talk of this on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums than on here
Bullshit. We almost invariably have at least one thread about china or japan at any given moment (two right now), and they both get frequently mentioned in relation to many subjects, from Rome to WW2.
What little historical talk you can get from /eagg/ and the odd l5r thread can't compare.

Being a weeb site implies that the users aren't east asian. Why would it surprise you that they would talk mostly about themselves rather than others? It's not like weebs actually know or care about east asia beyond their animay and memes afterall, else they'd be asiaboos rather than weebs.
China and Japan actually get more threads than any non-western subject. It's not like you see tons of threads on african or indian history, do you? It's all about the west.

chinese history is written as if it was done by some fan fiction writer

>and then ping pong raised 1,0000000 troops with ships 1053052035 li large and 100000000 horses to guide his magical god fucking journey to ringrongpingpong to defeat kong longs 5000000 army which was 50% monkeys

What are you talking about? The most talked about region here besides Europe/America is East Asia.

because the west is the best

So what you're saying is, you've never been on this board before, didn't bother to use the catalog, but just assumed you knew what this board was like a decided to complain about something that is 100% in your dumb head? Why are butthurt weeabs like you so fucking dense?